Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we have a bit a problem with our 5 year old neutered boy, Captain.

Let me start by saying that we have been to our regular vet and to UC Davis, and after many tests, examinations and a couple of ultra sounds, no one seems to know what the deal is.

What I am wondering is if anyone has heard of this, dealt with this or has a particularly out-of-the-box thinking vet in the Nor Cal area they can recommend. We like our vet and Davis has been helpful in the past with other dogs and other issues, but this seems to be beyond them. My husband has done exhaustive research but also come up empty. We've read that dogs and humans will sometimes have this problem when they've had a spinal injury, but he's never had such a thing.

Captain seems to be randomly urinating, everything from little dribbles to a steady leak to a stream with no sphincter control. He does not do this all the time. He can go months without an episode (each episode usually lasts about 1 to 4 days) and then it will start up again. During the time he's having an episode, we will try to keep an eye on his bladder size and we will actively take him out to potty when he looks "full". He'll stand there with his leg up for a couple of minutes at a time and will be unable to go, or just dribbles. We encourage him and stay out with him, throw the ball a bit to get him moving and hope that he will be able to pee. We allow him back in after 10 to 15 minutes, and he will be laying at our feet or on the couch with us and that sphincter will just leak, dribble or cut loose, but it doesn't do this every time. Sometimes he can make it to his feet, but not out the door, when his bladder cuts loose. We have a dog door that is available 24/7 that he's been using for the last 4 years, so he has plenty of opportunity to go out and usually puts himself out as needed when he's not having an episode.

I feel so bad for him - he's clearly upset by his inability to control his bladder, and while we launder his blankets, steam the carpets and clean the sofa cusions when he wets them, this is no way for any of us to live.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Zanna

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Have any of the vets investigated hormonal related urinary incontinence?

"As a pet ages, production of the sex hormones estrogen and testosterone begins diminishing. Hormonal urinary incontinence is more prevalent in geriatric patients than in younger animals. As might be expected, spayed females and castrated males have the highest incidence of urinary incontinence. This is because in the process of spaying the female, the ovaries are removed to prevent heat cycles. In castrating (neutering) the male, the testicles are removed. Removing the ovaries and testicles greatly reduces the sex hormone levels within the body. This does not imply that all spayed females or castrated males will develop incontinence. In fact, less than five percent will ever be affected. It appears that the amount of sex hormones produced by the adrenal glands is generally more than adequate for normal bladder and urethra function".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not at all. They've just talked about a possible neurological connection, but still no solution. I'll bring that up to the vets. It might be worth noting that he had a crypt orchid that had to be removed when he was neutered. Hmm...definitely something to explore. Thanks! If you have any other idea swimming around, I'm all ears. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sam and Mack's Mom - Thanks for the link!

Emily - Yeah, we are going to try the belly band in conjunction with some pads made for them, and also some big dog washable diapers + pads if the belly band fails. Tonight we are doing an improvised belly band with some vet wrap and a maxi-pad which is having mixed results.

He's figured out that if he lays on a piddle-pad that we put down, we will change it and mop him up when he's wet. Poor baby. He's miserable.

Thanks for your suggestions, please keep them coming! The more ideas we have to work with, the better!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts