Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things have been so busy around here, between Brownies (why, oh why did I agree to be a leader this year??) studying for finals, trying to decide what to take next term, working with Chi and Christmas shopping, I feel like I've not had nearly enough time here!!!!

After much thought and consideration, I bought a prong collar the other day. I had to drive to every single pet shop on this island and finally found one small enough and even it has only 4 prongs on it! Evidentally the Japanese think that only bears and lions need these collars :) Many of you know that this is not a decision that I made lightly but now that I've made it, I am very comfortable with it.

The problem is that she heels beautifully but since we don't have a fenced yard, her only excercise is walks and jogging. I hate to keep her on a heel but she's regressed in her loose lead walking and gets wicked excited and jumps and just acts like a fool when we jog. The prong collar really seems to be helping on both. We were able to jog a cool mile yesterday without her acting like a nut!

I've only walked her with the leash attached to both rings and what a difference it has made. Now I can concentrate more on her reactions to people and other dogs than getting her to not pull. I think it was Carrie that referred to Dobes as sled dogs, there is so much truth in those words :) It was almost as hard to put it on her as it was to give her her first bone (you know how we've been told forever to never, ever, ever give bones). BUT, she has responded so well to it. Yesterday Jordan wanted to know how it worked, so I told her to get it and bring it to me. The second Chi saw it, she got wicked excited and wanted to put it on and head out the door. If it was causing her any pain or discomfort, I doubt she would have lit up like she did.

Yesterday on our walk, we stopped and did a little obedience training at the dog walk section of the vet clinic, there were many people and unruly dogs. Chi did not react once to any of them and kept her attention dutifully on me :) We also stopped and worked for a few minutes in front of the people health clinic, many people and slamming car doors, again, she stayed focused on me and not the evils around her. WOOHOO! I plan on walking the same course with her again today.

When we got home from our walk, I realized she was in bad need of a nail trim. Every time before, I would have Mark hold her and give her treats while I clipped. Since Mark was at work I thought I'd try it alone. Unfortunately, she jumped at the last milli second I was clipping the first nail and I quicked her bad!!! I couldn't find the corn starch or the styptic powder but stopped it with bar soap and then put a bandaid on it. She kept the bandaid on and didn't bother it at all. I wish I hadn't broken my camera, it was very cute. But even with the nick on the first nail, she was wicked sweet and allowed me to trim the rest without any resistance. She's such a good girl. I really need to get a dremel.

I also got jingle bell collars for her a Petri the other day. Am going to borrow my friends camera and get pics of them in front of the tree. They are just too cute! Petri seems humiliated by his, but Chi LOVES hers! She wants to wear it all the time. Such the girl in love with her jewelry!!!

So that's us in the a nutshell for the past few days :) It's so good to see so many new and active members! Isn't this just the best forum ever??? :)

~Tracy:3dbiggrin

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Kudos to you and Chi for your accomplishments for the day!!! Glad to hear it!! You HAVE to get a dremel!! You're gonna LOVE it! My dogs go nutty for it now, but as with everthing else that is successfull, I made it a VERY positive thing. When I first started them on it, I kept a constant supply of broken up treats by their muzzles while they layed on their sides, that graduated to them getting a tidbit after every two nails, which I didn't linger on, just touched them briefly, which graduated to a treat after every foot.

Kid you not- Harley and Scrappy literally climb all over me to be the first to get their nails done now!! They automatically roll to the ground with their feet in the air! It's histarical! And they get their cookie now when we are done with all the nails. Lexus is rapidly improving, she usually looked at me from a distance when I got the dremel out, this last time (just last night actually) she got right up in line with the others, but not so enthusiastic yet that she drops to the ground on her own, but I know it's coming! I will have to get some pics of it!

Okay, sorry about the ramble!! Chi is a genius and you do awesome with her!!! Keep up with the success stories!!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you Lex, you're such a great cheer-leader :)
Just got in from our walk and deviated route... We walked infront of the BX and commissary, very busy!! She was excellent. A guy stopped and commented on how beautiful she was and then asked for directions. She was PERFECT as he fawned over her and I gave directions. I can not believe how good she was! She may never be the type of dog that worships all people and craves their attention, that's fine with me. In fact, it actually makes me feel all that more special :) BUT I do think we are well on our way to her being a dog that will tolerate all people and events with out me having to worry about her trying to eat them!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
i'm glad to hear chi is doing so well it really seems like you have an awesome doby and i think she is so adorable that video you posted a while back was to funny please post another one

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Good one Tracy it sounds like you and Chi are making great strides. I really enjoy reading your posts because they are very easy to relate to :D

TD

·
Registered
365 Posts
Great news TracyJo! My trainer calls the prong "power steering". LOL Jeddah does the same as Chi, when she see the prong. She'll actually give it a nudge with her nose when it's sitting on the coffee table, to remind me to put it on her. It must be so awfully painful to wear!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jedski said:
Great news TracyJo! My trainer calls the prong "power steering". LOL Jeddah does the same as Chi, when she see the prong. She'll actually give it a nudge with her nose when it's sitting on the coffee table, to remind me to put it on her. It must be so awfully painful to wear!!!!!!! :)
Jedski,
It was your trainer's website and articles and your success with Jeddah that ultimately helped me make the decision to buy the prong!
Yesterday I was able to walk both Chi and Petri together! A thing that wasn't impossible but was entirely too stressfull to do in the past :) Pre-prong, Chi would do her best to pay attention but you know, a totteling little Chihuahua is just so much fun to pounce on! LOL
I had her on the prong and 6ft lead and Petri on the flexi lead and the walk went so well. Poor Petri who has been quite neglected lately as far as walks go, was so excited to come with us and even more so that Chi didn't plow him over every time he stopped to mark something and let me tell you, this kid marks EVERYTHING! LOL Chi was great, she kept her attention on me for the most part. A few times she tried to pounce on him (this pouncing is done in play, not aggression, she wants him to run so she can chase him - a favorite game in the house - but it's not so much fun for me while they're both on lead) but I was able to quickly and effortlessly deter her and get her focused on me. WOOHOO.
So thank you Jedski! and tell your trainer thanks for me too :) We've still much work to do but this collar is making things much easier...

~Tracy

·
Registered
323 Posts
Tracy,

Why is your Chihuahua not trained? If I was Chihiro I would be pissed that you had different rules during walks.

Molari

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What did I say above that makes you think that the Chihuahua isn't trained? He is wonderful on walks actually. He doesn't pull or act like a nut on walks, especially when people approach or pass - he basically ignores everything other than the trees he's so keen to mark :). When Chihiro achieves this, then she will also be allowed the freedom. Chi is still allowed to sniff and to walk on a loose lead, just not at such a great distance as the flexi offers.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The marking was what led me to my conclusion. Well that and the flexi leash. I do not allow GKar to mark while we walk. He can sniff all he wants be but no marking. We have two Chihuahua's at a house on one of our walk paths that never make a sound or run at us when we walk by and are just perfectly behaved even when not on a leash. I was impressed, I am not used to seeing that from most small dogs.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If he ever displayed any type of territorial aggression, or if I was concerned about it from him, I probably wouldn't let him mark either. But we had a heck of a time with him marking in the house, I mean nothing was sacred, I'm just thrilled that he finally understands outside is good, inside is bad :) Off lead, he will rush at people barking like the sterotypical pita Chihuahua, but put the leash on and he's a perfect gentleman, go figure... I am not a huge fan of Flexi's and am not sure how we ended up walking him on one... It does make it easier for me, when walking them both to have them "staggered", Petri out in front and Chi back closer to me. Although, toward the end of our walk yesterday, Petri had fallen back and the two were talking tandem and at one point he was walking under her... Pretty cute :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
TracyJo, considering Chi's age, I think you're doing really well with him. He's still a baby when you think about it, with a looooooong way to maturity. Good to hear Petri's getting out and about with his social life. He's probably been harbouring dark thoughts about that bloody dobe, taking all the attention! LOL

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Glad to hear things went well with Petri and Chi out together! It's the same story with Harley and Lex, poor Harley is neglected when he used to get all the walking! I bought a tandem leash that connects them, and use that periodically. But alot of the time I just use two leashes. (BTW- I love my flexi!) Harley gets more free time than does Lex on the leash being that he isn't as presise as she is (and those telephone poles are just asking for a good marking sometimes!) , but Lex doesn't seem to harbour any built up resentment to Harley b/c of that ;-) In addition when our walks are a little later and more low key, Lexy gets the flexi and Harley gets the 6 footer, but once again, no resentment.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think there is any resentment between my two either... I mean although Petri gets more freedom on the leash, Chi gets more attention in the house, it's kind of a "give and take" situation, I guess. We didn't design it that way, just the way it works out. And although I know they should be treated equally with the same rules, I pick my battles with both of them. There are certain things that Petri can get away with the Chi can not, like jumping on me or pawing me until I relent and pet him. He's 10 pounds and things like that aren't nearly as annoying from him as they would be from 45 pound Chi. On the other hand, she gets considerably more one on one time with Momma than he does, just because she gets that much extra work training and socializing... When it comes down to it, they're both spoiled rotten, seriously, when I die, I want to come back as one of my dogs LOL!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts