Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously thinking about wanting to do rally obedience with my next dobie. Roxy is 6 yrs old now so this won't hopefully happen soon. When looking for a puppy is there a temperment or work ethic I should ask the breeder about. Would a personal trainer help me even though I would be attending classes. The AKC dog club near my house provides classes which is where I would attend.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
My experience is that it is the easier of the two......obedience or rally.

My dog was only 7 months old when he titled in rally. We never attended a rally class. We learned in the living room.

I took him to a puppy class to socialize and then walked him around Petsmart and an agility trial. Then into the rally ring. He Qd in all three classes with scores in the high nineties.

I think if your dog is "obedience trained" and wants to please, you should have a very good shot at Qing.

Remember to HAVE FUN...both of you!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
You should do it with Roxy - our class is full of older dogs. Ozzy (a clumberland) is like 10+ and a finished champion who wanted a job. He gets so mad if she doesn't bring him to class. OF all the dogs in out class there is 1 puppy (9 months old) the rest are at least 2 + years. Vader hated obedience - we switched to rally and he loves it. He does better when I can talk - he is used to talking & praise from all our agility training. So the silence was not for him. He will be 4 in January. He has 2 legs of his RN so far. Met some really great people with all different breeds in class too - added bonus!

Talk to your breeder - they should be able to pair you with a good pup!

·
Registered
880 Posts
You should totally do it with your older girl! RallyO is great for seniors! It's such an easy going and forgiving atmosphere, the whole idea behind the sport is to just have fun with your dog without the pressures of real obedience work (not that rally is fake obedience but its way more relaxed).

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,345 Posts
I agree with the others. I would start with Roxy. My Baron just turned 5 and we just finished his Rally Excellent title in November. We got all his Rally titles in 2011 and got his Novice Obedience CD title in 2010. I am 62 and have never done any competition in my life. I also never took any Rally classes, only obedience. Got an AKC Rules and Regulations book and 2 other Rally books and learned everything on my own. Rally is a lot less stressful for the handler, I think, than Competitive Obedience. We are now focusing on possibly getting our CDX next year. Best of luck in your endeavors.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
It was my new years resolution this year to get into it with Gypsy, but I failed. We got through Dog Sports Fundamentals class and got her CGC though. Still really want to give it a shot next year. I think I'm going to cut back on my rescue work and get back into classes/training. Not enough time for both unfortunately :( She's almost 5 and a half and not showing any signs of slowing down so... I'll try to keep up ;)

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I agree with the others. I would start with Roxy. My Baron just turned 5 and we just finished his Rally Excellent title in November. We got all his Rally titles in 2011 and got his Novice Obedience CD title in 2010. I am 62 and have never done any competition in my life. I also never took any Rally classes, only obedience. Got an AKC Rules and Regulations book and 2 other Rally books and learned everything on my own. Rally is a lot less stressful for the handler, I think, than Competitive Obedience. We are now focusing on possibly getting our CDX next year. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Hahaaha. :nicejob:

Baron and Bacchus have two old gals for trainers/handlers. I think when you do it the way we did there is a greater sense of personal accomplishment....and head scratching. Trying to figure out those rally signs was a pain!! :roflmao:

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,345 Posts
Hahaaha. :nicejob:

Baron and Bacchus have two old gals for trainers/handlers. I think when you do it the way we did there is a greater sense of personal accomplishment....and head scratching. Trying to figure out those rally signs was a pain!! :roflmao:
So very true. When your 62, it is sometimes hard to remember which way is right and which way is left!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts