Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So earlier I headed down to the tennis courts to go through a couple different set ups of the Rally novice competitions. I forgot my leash, but didn't want to go back, so I tried it without. I was amazed at the result! He was so so so happy to be working and actually showed enthusiasm and concentration. He did the 360 and 270 turns perfectly and auto-sits, and despite being slightly crooked, he completed everything pretty darn well, which is huge for him being off lead. I decided to not get too concerned with the very fine details/perfect positions since it is rally, and I believe this really changed Zeus' mood. He went from thinking obedience as 'bad work' to doing the rally course happy, jumpy, and not wanting to stop. Because of his super willingness to work with my mental relaxation, and talking the entire way, I have decided to try out just the rally A competition for now, possibly in March in Chattanooga.

In order to do this, it is my understanding that I must get him 'registered' with akc's alternative listing. I checked out the application and it seems pretty straight forward. Anyone have experience with this? Being a rescue, I obviously have no papers... Also, we attend general OB classes here and there, but no rally specific classes, should that be a problem? Considering he can do all of the novice exercises off lead, and could care less about distractions humans and dogs alike, I feel confident in showing w/o attending a true 'rally o' class. Anyone else competed through the rally ranks w/o rally specific training?

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,325 Posts
Good for both of you and so happy Zeus is happy doing Rally. I have never taken any Rally specific classes, ony regular obedience. Got 2 books and a DVD on AKC Rally and just practiced on my own and now we have our 3 Rally titles. Also found the Rally signs on ebay which were already laminated and bought them but actually only used them a few times. We do some heeling exercises in obedience that are like Rally ones just to practice our heeling. Best of luck and continue to have fun with it.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
No clue how to get your number but v just got his RN. It's very fun. Take a crate to the show so you can walk the course. You can ask the judge questions if you have any during the walk thru. Have fun and good luck!

·
Got mutt?
13,828 Posts
As far as getting his PAL, just fill in the form, and make sure you follow the directions for the pictures. When you get your certificate, it will have his PAL number on it. Use that number when you fill in the entry forms. Since he's obviously a purebred, you should definitely do the PAL, rather then Canine Partners.

As far as taking an actual Rally training class, I have yet to take one. I train Ilka on my own, with the odd PetsMart class. I know a lot of people on here don't like PetsMart training classes, but I actually have an instructor who's shown in obedience and rally, and lets me do more advanced stuff than the rest of the class. Besides, he does a CGC test for graduation (not a regular PetsMart offering, just something he does), and I REALLY want that CGC certificate for Ilka (they say third times a charm).

By the way, don't forget to get a copy of the new rally regulations and signs that are going into effect in April. They also have a download of all the sign, including the new ones. I just downloaded and printed off the ones I didn't already have. I keep my signs in sheet protectors in a big loose leaf binder, and just pull out the ones I want to use. If you need cones, try either a party or sporting goods store.

Good luck. If Ilka and I can do it, you should be fine. :)

Reactions: Asmit and dax0402

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the feedback! I definently need to work with the actual signs as I can see myself completing messing that up. Thankfully, because of horse back riding, I am extremely good at remembering courses, so the signs should just be a bonus (as long as I'm not first lol).

Rosemary-Thanks for the tips about the pals, I think I'm gonna go ahead and get that sent off in order to allow us enough time. It stinks that the oak ridge kennel club rarely EVER has ob/rally competitions, so looks like we'll be traveling!

I've always wanted to have a dog that I was able to compete with in some event (when I was a kid I attempted to self train my Corgo/american eskimo mix to run an agility course, but I wasn't able to 'create' anything but jumps in the backyard. lol. ) So the fact that Zeus really enjoys the rally gives me goals to look forward to!

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Just a side note about PAL/ILP... It's all the same form you just have to specify breed :)

Good luck on your Rally-O adventure :)

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I bought a video that walks through each station and how to perform it, explains what the key requirements are for each station, and shows multiple dog/handler teams performing the station. I think I bought it from J&J dog supplies. It was super helpful to me.

Between this video and a couple private lessons with someone who teaches rally and it was pretty easy to learn the stations.

Someone just sent me a couple iphone Apps with the rally stations as well, so you can look something up in a pinch to confirm how to perform it. Thought that was pretty handy for shows.

Good luck!

·
Got mutt?
13,828 Posts
Someone at a trial told me about a website called bowwowflix.com, which is a DVD rental site. I need to join, because I saw a DVD I wanted to try, but it costs like $50 to buy. I would hate to buy it, then find out I hate it, but a rental would let me try it before I fork over the money to buy it.

Jonesy'sMom, you are correct about the PAL (Purebred Alternative Listing) being the same as the older ILP (Indefinite Listing Privilage). However, there is also a listing called Canine Partners. It is for non-AKC recognized or Miscellaneous breeds, or non-Foundation Stock breeds. It is also for mixed-breeds, like my Ilka. I was just saying that because Zeus is obviously a pure-bred Dobe, to make sure they did the PAL, and not the Canine Partners (which does not require sending in photos). :)

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Jonesy'sMom, you are correct about the PAL (Purebred Alternative Listing) being the same as the older ILP (Indefinite Listing Privilage). However, there is also a listing called Canine Partners. It is for non-AKC recognized or Miscellaneous breeds, or non-Foundation Stock breeds. It is also for mixed-breeds, like my Ilka. I was just saying that because Zeus is obviously a pure-bred Dobe, to make sure they did the PAL, and not the Canine Partners (which does not require sending in photos). :)
Got it never heard of Canine Partners... Jones is registered by ILP I just recently did his

1 - 12 of 12 Posts