Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home from Rally class, this was the second class we did the full course in, what a ball it is!! Lexy did great, all she needs to do now is learn to read the signs for herself so momma doesn't look like an idiot when she skips one!

On another note, I was sooooo proud of Lexus. There is a Shepard in the class, that the idiot woman lets approach other dogs even though she can be snippy. She approached Lexus when I walked in a sat down, and Lexus is completely dog friendly and the shepard didn't have full line to reach Lexy, so I just watched her. She pulled a shepard move and was almost in Lexy's face and aggressively started barking and lunged at her.

She wasn't close enough to get her, but Lexy didn't lunge at her, she moved close beside me and sat. The shep started to head out way again, and Lexy let out this DEEP rumple in her chest. Didn't bark didn't lunge, just warned her to stop right there. I haven't really been in many situations with Lexus for her to have a chance to react to anything like that, I was so pleased with the way she handled it by moving to me and watching the dogs next move. She didn't cower or act afraid at all! Okay, done gloating, just another reason for me to love my girl! :boldblue: Although I love Shepards, just another reason why I know a DOBERMAN is for me! Their brains! Thinking something out rather than just reacting, (ideally anyway!)

One more note, my trainer's shepard came down with bloat last week. Fortunetely her husband was home with him, he recognized the signs and rushed him to the ER. They make it in time to save his life, although I guess his diaphram was nicked during the surgery and he had to have a tube in his throat for a while. But he is now on the mend!
SHe gave important advice---know your dog, watch his stomach if it is swollen or hard at all, if he is gagging and nothing comes up. Head straight to the ER. Important for all of us with our large dogs.

·
Banned
375 Posts
that is so awesome lexus.. im really proud of your baby girl... i hope mine are as obedient as yours.... not sure about rally much only heard of it a few times... im only guessing your talking about agility but then again who really knows LOL... but that is awesome what lexus did. really proud of her myself. that is so awesome sounds like my little girls cept she gets a bit more excited than lexus and lets out alittle bark not a big one but that bark from the chest to the nose thing and i hope she stays that way.

awesome lexus!!!!way to go hun...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Lexus said:
Just got home from Rally class, this was the second class we did the full course in, what a ball it is!! Lexy did great, all she needs to do now is learn to read the signs for herself so momma doesn't look like an idiot when she skips one!

On another note, I was sooooo proud of Lexus. There is a Shepard in the class, that the idiot woman lets approach other dogs even though she can be snippy. She approached Lexus when I walked in a sat down, and Lexus is completely dog friendly and the shepard didn't have full line to reach Lexy, so I just watched her. She pulled a shepard move and was almost in Lexy's face and aggressively started barking and lunged at her.

She wasn't close enough to get her, but Lexy didn't lunge at her, she moved close beside me and sat. The shep started to head out way again, and Lexy let out this DEEP rumple in her chest. Didn't bark didn't lunge, just warned her to stop right there. I haven't really been in many situations with Lexus for her to have a chance to react to anything like that, I was so pleased with the way she handled it by moving to me and watching the dogs next move. She didn't cower or act afraid at all! Okay, done gloating, just another reason for me to love my girl! :boldblue: Although I love Shepards, just another reason why I know a DOBERMAN is for me! Their brains! Thinking something out rather than just reacting, (ideally anyway!)

One more note, my trainer's shepard came down with bloat last week. Fortunetely her husband was home with him, he recognized the signs and rushed him to the ER. They make it in time to save his life, although I guess his diaphram was nicked during the surgery and he had to have a tube in his throat for a while. But he is now on the mend!
SHe gave important advice---know your dog, watch his stomach if it is swollen or hard at all, if he is gagging and nothing comes up. Head straight to the ER. Important for all of us with our large dogs.

what all training has lexus been through

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rally is the form of OB that goes between the training you do for your CGC and CD. You follow a course of signs rather than the judge telling you what to do for the CD. You're allowed to talk to them to encourage them. It a lot of fun, especially since I'm new to showing and haven't even tried for the CD yet.

Lexy has been in classes since she was 4 months old. With breaks in between waiting for her school to start back up due to weather inclinations, and including her puppy classes she's in her 5th set of classes. (all 6 week courses) All OB and half of one devoted to TDI , that's how she got her approval for that.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Good girl Lexy.. You made your momma proud. With the training and the shepard. Such a great girl you are!

If Gracie was in the situation Gracie would lunge. Since we have had her our standard rule is no treats in front of other dogs unless she gets hers first. Gracie has went after my brothers rott. Which was standing over Gracie while she was eating. Ginger (rott) likes to watch other dogs eat for some reason. She learned that Gracie will not put up with it. Neither of the dogs got hurt. They got seperated for 15 minutes then Gracie wanted out so we let her out WITH a leash on her. They both acted like nothing ever happened.

Gracie has also done this to one other dog, my neice was trying to get them to play but ended up getting Gracie to become very POed. Again no one got hurt, and we took Gracie home after that. Oh and my neice also got yelled at.

So all of that just to say I wouldn't trust Gracie in that kind of situation.

·
Banned
375 Posts
thta is so cool lexus i want to do that with prince and tasneem any ideas on where to look for someone that does this kind of training? because i wanna do agility and obviously what you are doing with my kids LOL

·
Registered
232 Posts
Lexus said:
Rally is the form of OB that goes between the training you do for your CGC and CD. You follow a course of signs rather than the judge telling you what to do for the CD. You're allowed to talk to them to encourage them. It a lot of fun, especially since I'm new to showing and haven't even tried for the CD yet.

Lexy has been in classes since she was 4 months old. With breaks in between waiting for her school to start back up due to weather inclinations, and including her puppy classes she's in her 5th set of classes. (all 6 week courses) All OB and half of one devoted to TDI , that's how she got her approval for that.

I dont think we have that in my are

we do have the one for CGC

·
Banned
375 Posts
HMMM im sure we have it here just finding it will be my problem i dont get out much and talk to people lately have neck and back surgery soon... so that will be a treat for the dobermans also

·
Registered
266 Posts
whiteandblue said:
HMMM im sure we have it here just finding it will be my problem i dont get out much and talk to people lately have neck and back surgery soon... so that will be a treat for the dobermans also
Can't you just ask some of your AKC judge friends? I'm sure they are quite familiar with both training facilities/clubs and shows in the area as rally is an AKC sport...
Or your private trainer, wouldn't he know where a rally class in the area was being held?

·
Banned
375 Posts
LEXUS, can you give me some leads. on where i could look... i dont wanna do akc no matter what not there is anything wrong with them but i really would rather do UKC or Nadac Agility

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There's really no one around here right now doing it that I was able to find, but my trainer that's been with Lexy since she was a pup, wasn't doing it either, I asked her if she knew anything about it, because I had heard about it, and she said she was going to start showing it later in the year with her young shepard (this was in April) And she asked if anyone would be interested in taking that kind of class and most of us were. So maybe check with some trainers if no one is holding a class now, they might be willing to teach one if they knew there was people interested in taking it up.

Shelly never would have done it if she wasn't approached probably.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
im glad youre enjoying rally lexus -- i started it 2 years ago when there was a seminar in the area and bowie loves it (especially since you can talk to your dog during rally). weve done a bunch of classes and a few seminars here and there, and im considering entering some APDT trials around here soon --
are you going to do some shows? bowie has his RN already, plus some bumper legs, but i am not bumping him up to advanced due to the jumps. id definitely love to try APDT though, everyone who tries it says its much harder in the first levels.

to learn the signs, i printed them all out and used to make my own rally courses around the house. its also helped just to walk courses before i take the dog through. before each show we have our routine, so i stick with that :)

·
Banned
375 Posts
lexus... i am in the process of finding a great traininer but i also wanna do protection training for my doberman...as well as agility...except tasneem she is quick but prince will let her get a ten second start and pass her at a full run so i think she will be a good pet and hopefully show dog... depending on how well everything turns out in the future..

thanks elle...for the links... i hadnt gotten to look at them because prince ripped his tape off last night and his ears are still stanind this morning but... i need to get them rewrapped just not sure if i am doing it correctly LOL... because the first time i didnt it... his ears came out in about twenty minutes :( but i guess because my doc normally does it and i dont that is probably why lol

thanks guys

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Lexus said:
The shep started to head out way again, and Lexy let out this DEEP rumple in her chest. Didn't bark...
WOOHOO Lexy!!! Good thing you didn't bark though. We all know the bark of a Doberman is so ferocious it can make a Pit faint, imagine what it would do to a GSD! Much love from Chi and her mom for being such an awesome ambassador for all Dobes!

Thanks for the tips on bloat, Jess. With all this talk about it I think I'm getting paranoid. But I guess it pays to be informed. Have a friend who lost her Aussie to it. He bloated on the flight from here to LAX. Needless to say it was way too late by the time Alex got off the plane to save him.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
doberkim said:
im glad youre enjoying rally lexus -- i started it 2 years ago when there was a seminar in the area and bowie loves it (especially since you can talk to your dog during rally). weve done a bunch of classes and a few seminars here and there, and im considering entering some APDT trials around here soon --
are you going to do some shows? bowie has his RN already, plus some bumper legs, but i am not bumping him up to advanced due to the jumps. id definitely love to try APDT though, everyone who tries it says its much harder in the first levels.

to learn the signs, i printed them all out and used to make my own rally courses around the house. its also helped just to walk courses before i take the dog through. before each show we have our routine, so i stick with that :)

:dancing_b That's a GREAT idea Doberkim!!!! I've just been practicing the moves, and sometimes I talk my hubby into announcing the commands for me, I can't believe I never thought of printing them out!! You get the A for awesome today!! Rally sets to purchase are over 100 bucks! Forget that! You need the signs to really be able to practice you know.

I really really want to show in this! My only concern (can me a sissy I know..) I've never shown dogs before and I really wanted to go to a few matches (is that what they call the "not for points" shows?) just to familarize Lexus and myself (more myself) with the atmosphere and stuff. My trainer says she sometimes judges matches also, so she's in the loop as too when and where to find these. She's gonna let me know when and where I can get to some as they pop up. She said Lexus is ready to go for it so I'm really pschyed about it!

I felt really complimented at class also because we had two separate courses to run through, and the for the second one I went first, when I was done Shelly (trainer) asked me if it wasn't too confusing or difficult, I just kinda himmed and hawed a little because the way they set up the signs was kinda conjested in one section, you just had to look kinda everywhich way to figure out where you were supposed to go, anyway, a few of the other people in the class said to me, "you'd better say it was easy for you because if Lexy and you had trouble the rest of us are doomed!" Made me feel good ya know, that we do well enough that others notice too.

Oh, I'm so excited to hear that someone else on here does it! I might be bugging you alot now!! You don't happen to be in Ohio do you!! :cool2:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great links elle!! You should look into those whiteandblue! I bet you'd have a ball!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TracyJo said:
WOOHOO Lexy!!! Good thing you didn't bark though. We all know the bark of a Doberman is so ferocious it can make a Pit faint, imagine what it would do to a GSD! Much love from Chi and her mom for being such an awesome ambassador for all Dobes!

Thanks for the tips on bloat, Jess. With all this talk about it I think I'm getting paranoid. But I guess it pays to be informed. Have a friend who lost her Aussie to it. He bloated on the flight from here to LAX. Needless to say it was way too late by the time Alex got off the plane to save him.

Yeah could you IMAGINE the lawsuit alone, I mean you know that shepard probably would have dropped dead if Lexus had barked at her. :help_up_2 Heaven forbid......I mean actually if she had barked all the dogs in the room probably would have passed out.... Ohhh, I would have been in the class by myself! You're such a goof!! :haha: :haha:

That really sad about the Aussie, I never think of it affecting them, being smaller then dobes and stuff. It would have torn me up..... and Yeah I'm kinda getting paranoid too..

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
you can print signs off the APDT and AKC sites for free - and you can make your own courses from that. no pre-made kits necessary - you can use your own traffic cones (you can buy them cheap).

rally is MUCH more laid back than traditional OB i have found, and yes, you can definitely do matches and show-n-gos, to acclimate yourself. rally was made to be a beginner level entrance to the competition world, so it should be fun, remember that!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts