Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Anyone Out There Have A Preference On The Type Of Raised Food Bowls They Use? My Last Dobie Didnt Like The Steel Bowls So I Put Plastic On The Riser. I Was Told That Steel Causes Little Chin Pimples And That Dogs Dont Like The Feel On Their Teeth As They Eat. Im On My Way Out Today To Get A New Set And Some Healthy Puppy Treats, Any Ideas For Me? Romy Is Almost 16 Weeks And He Will Be Coming Home Tomorrow From The Hospital After His Amputation. We Want To Give Him Nothing But The Best, How About Other Vitamins? Thanks

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Now you are going to get a lot advise about raised bowls.. I like to raise as Spirit would upchuck when his bowl was on the ground..As for chin pimples.. I use plastic and wash the chin after every meal but I have heard the opposite that plastic is worst than steel.. I think it is best to what is best for your dog..As for supplements, I use the supplements list from the web site..Storm's regimen I have found great success from it

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Java would get chin pimples (and a few were rather nasty) when I added canned dog food to her meals. That doesn't seem to be an issue since I've cut canned food out of her diet and wipe her chin w/ a clean damp facecloth (I buy the 12-packs @ Target) after she eats.

Heard a comedian talk about his wife wanting to buy raised bowls for their bloodhound - he said if his dog can reach around and lick his parts, bending over to eat from a bowl on the floor should not be a problem....

·
Extraordimary
5,071 Posts
The Purdue bloat study concluded that there was, I think, a 110% increase in the risk of a dog bloating if fed from raised bowls.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I BELIEVE THE GENERAL CONSENSUS SO FAR IS {RAISED FOOD BOWLS ARE OUT}! I WAS TOLD YEARS AGO WITH MY LATE DOBIE THAT THEY WERE NECESSARY FOR LARGE BREED DOGS, BUT HE ENDED UP WITH CVI, SO IT WAS MANDATORY FOR HIM TO HAVE THE RAISED BOWLS. I THINK I WILL WAIT ANOTHER DAY SO I CAN HEAR ALL THE GREAT ADVICE AND GO FROM THERE. JAVASMOM: THAT IS SO TRUE AND VERY FUNNY!!!:cool2:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Utah1, steel bowls do not cause chin pimples unless the dog is allergic to the stainless steel...by far and away more often it's bacteria (or possibly a digestive problem) that cause chin pimples. But anyway, don't forget the option of ceramic bowls since you're shopping. As for healthy treats, how about chicken jerky strips to start? I have a feeling Romy is going to be incredibly spoiled when he gets home from his surgery...good for you, Mom, and best wishes to Romy for a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
986 Posts
utah1romel2 said:
I BELIEVE THE GENERAL CONSENSUS SO FAR IS {RAISED FOOD BOWLS ARE OUT}! I WAS TOLD YEARS AGO WITH MY LATE DOBIE THAT THEY WERE NECESSARY FOR LARGE BREED DOGS, BUT HE ENDED UP WITH CVI, SO IT WAS MANDATORY FOR HIM TO HAVE THE RAISED BOWLS.
Yes, the Purdue study demonstrated there was actually an increased risk of bloat w/elevated dishes.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I've heard that raised bowls increased the risk too.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Well isnt that great. I just bought an elevated bowl thingie, thinking I was doing ******* a favor because she was really spreading her legs to eat. It is raised 12" of the ground, does it matter how high they are off the ground?? I wonder if I could take it back, she has used it a few times. :(

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Well I think I just fixed the problem. I took off the legs and now it's only about 4" of the ground!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've always heard the raised bowls increase the chance for bloat because of ingested air so we went with steel bowls on the floor. He's never had any pimples.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone, the decision has been made, NO raised bowls!! I dont know where I heard that from, I always thought that I was doing my boys a favor and thanks for the advice about the chin pimples, Romy is gonna love having his face washed about as much as having his hiney wiped.:dancing_b

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm going to be the odd one out here as my two eat from raised feeders. We used to feed Abbie with her bowls on the floor.But she never looked comfortable and used to burp a lot after eating. Then one day she bloated up( luckily we got her to the vet before it got too bad) so we tried a raised feeder. She eats a lot slower and calmer from the raised feeder and looks a lot more comfortable too. So for her I feel that it is a better option. She hasn't had bloat again, but then again we are very careful when it comes to things like exercising before and after meals etc.
When we got Diesel we thought we'd start off with him eating with his bowls on the floor but again he seemed to be taking in a lot of air and burped a lot after his dinner. He would also choose to drink from Abbies water bowl (raised) than from his own (on floor) So we got him a raised feeder and the burping has stopped.
Maybe I am doing the wrong thing :confused2
As for chin pimples, we use stainless steel bowls and Abbie's chin is fine, Diesel has spots but that is due to another condition and should be sorted once his meds kick in :)

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
alwayshadpets said:
Raised bowls are out. Dogs in the wild don`t eat that high off the ground. I think someone invented that to make $.
Round these way's we see wild dogs eating out of raised bowls all the time!!Hahaahh :):):).

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
MaryAndDobes said:
The Purdue bloat study concluded that there was, I think, a 110% increase in the risk of a dog bloating if fed from raised bowls.
Where were you people when this came up before???:) :) :)
The last time this Purdue study came up and I said to get rid of the raised food bowls, several people came on stating how biased the study was.
Glad to see this concensus.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Sooz said:
Atta girl, Okie! Now that's using your noggin!:cool2:

And it's about time I did, Sooz you joker!!:thinking:

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
brumwolf said:
Round these way's we see wild dogs eating out of raised bowls all the time!!Hahaahh :):):).

Yeah, those Europeans :jokersmil You crack me up...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts