Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done watching something on TV about service dogs that are for ppl who have eplepse (sp). They can sense when the person is about to have 1 and does something to notfy them and the person lays down before something happens. They said very few dogs have this. I was just wondering where i could see if trinity could be tested for it. My mother has eplepse (sp) and i thought it would really help if trinity was 1 of the dogs that could do this.

·
Registered
880 Posts
there would have to be some sort of a guide dog or service dog organization involved. I would start looking there.

·
Registered
986 Posts
PD, here is an interesting and informative article on seizure dogs you might want to read. A couple things you should take particular note of w/regard to your mom's epilepsy: 1) the cost of training; and 2) that the training is UNREGULATED. I'd hate to see you or your mom taken advantage of, so be advised. Otherwise, I think it's a super idea. Good luck. Here's the link: http://www.epilepsy.com/articles/ar_1084289240.html

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think I saw the same thing a couple of weeks ago on Animal Planet. There was a women in prison who had epilepsy and they had a dog training program for the inmates. Somehow they trained one of the dogs to alert just prior to her having a seizure. During filming the inmate had one and sure enough the dog alerted just before she seized and stayed with her the whole time. When the training was completed, they shipped the dog out and began training another one. The inmate quite obviously had a hard time letting go but was very positive how the dog would help the new owner. I don't know how much the service org charged but I can't believe it'd be 10-25k for a prison trained dog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts