Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
A thyroid panel is done with a blood draw. I don't know about the kidneys.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
The test Sam receives for these is a blood test :)

Blood sent to MSU for his thyroid evaluation. Bloodwork (CBC) for kidney values is completed in house at my vet.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The test Sam receives for these is a blood test :)

Blood sent to MSU for his thyroid evaluation. Bloodwork (CBC) for kidney values is completed in house at my vet.
Why MSU? Is this a specialized test? Does your vet send it or do you?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
The thyroid test is a blood test. Make sure they send it off to MSU to be read. :)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts

Thanks guys!
We send to msu because they do a better full thyroid panel versus regular in state labs such as antech who only give your a free t4, and 2 others. They also ask for more information including medications and take that into account when running the blood work again more than what antech or other "basic" labs do.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
My vet sends for the test. MSU provides comprehensive results. I'm not sure if Idexx provides the same type of report or not.

Some people also use Dr. (Jean) Dobbs.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
You can also do thyroid through Dr Dodds. She is in central ca. Have your vet draw the blood and spin it (or whatever they do to it) and send it off. Or you can send it. It is cheaper then MSU.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. As it turns out, the vet didn't want to do either today (my bright idea: squeeze it in during an already scheduled trip!) because of the need to keep the blood on ice and overnight it ... was worried with the holiday Monday the sample would not be useable.

No big rush, since I'm just running baseline tests, but thank you for responding so quickly!

They did say they use Idexx though - should I not want to use that?

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
They have to do t3, t4, free t3, free t4 and tgaa levels to get a true picture. If you send to dr dodds it doesnt have to be on ice just next day I believe. If you go to her website there are instructions. As far as the rest of the blood work idexx is where my vet sends blood work. Not sure if they do all the thyroid levels. You can always check.

Eta. Here are the instructions for dr dodds.
http://www.hemopet.org/services.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts