Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband has gotten into the habit of saying get her to our 14 week old doberman, Tito when he is playing with our 9 yr old Bullmastiff, Pepper. I worry that this is going to lead to problems? He thinks that is it harmless, but I worry nontheless. Is it okay? The dogs plays wonderful together and our bullmastiff is really good with Tito, but I know that when he grows up he could hurt her, as she is old. I have never owned a doberman before, only bullmastiffs so I am learning with Tito. He is a ball of energy, where my Pepper is laid back and very lazy. He has really been good for her, as she has even started to play with balls and other toys. Cute to see, I just want to make sure that their relationship stays positive.....any advice would be helpful. Thank you....

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
What does get her mean and what does she do?

Reactions: brw1982

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I tell my dogs to "go get him/her", "go play" all the time. It's just my way of getting them involved with playing with eachother. Basically it's a "have a party" with your friends cue. As long as he's not doing it constantly and the puppy also learns that play time is not 24/7 with the other dog (sometimes you have to settle/leave her alone), then I wouldn't worry.

I really like having a cue that instigates play with my dogs. Mine are not allowed to play hard in the house, and going outside does not necessarily mean it's time to party/play either. So when I give them their cue, they know they're basically free to do whatever they want with eachother. And on the same token, they also know "enough".

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I say "get her/him" to my dogs anytime I want them to wrestle/chase each other. It has never caused any problems with mine. I also say "ENOUGH!" when I want them to stop, or I will remove one dog from play if they get too amped up and the other one isn't having fun anymore.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
If you don't train "get him/her" as an "attack", then it doesn't mean anything of the sort to your dog. It's up to you to make sure that Tito is supervised with your Bull Mastiff, and if you become uncomfortable with what's going on, to separate them and have a cool off period.

Personally, I use "get him" as a "okay, now you can go see who came in the door" ^^

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I only have one dog (at a time), but always puppy train the words:
- GET HIM
- ENOUGH or OK, is the release (I use either)
I have to be the dogs playmate, often I say "DAD, GONNA GET YOU".

The phrase "get-him" backfired, late one dark night:
When I saw something behind the house...sent the dobe on a mission and she came back choking & gagging...from a rear end encounter, with a skunk.
- after numerious dog baths, Amy and Dad slept on the couch (which we covered with some old blankets) so we wouldn't contaminate the entire house
- I slept in my clothes...with a stinky dobe face beside mine and didn't get much sleep, that night...lol

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
So I take it I am the only one who starts barking and howling like a demented wolf to encourage my dogs to play.....:D

·
Super Moderator
21,910 Posts
So I take it I am the only one who starts barking and howling like a demented wolf to encourage my dogs to play.....:D
:roflmao:

I also use "get him" and "get her" to get Shanoa and Simon to play.

Reactions: EmilyB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone!! He does it to make them play and he also will settle Tito down when our old girl has had enough. I just was a little nervous about it because I have never had a breed like a doberman before and am learning. Thanks again for calming my nerves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts