Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else here tried the Quick Brace System for their pups ears? It's WONDERFUL! I have 2 dobermans... they both have show crops.. The first was done just by taping which took FOREVER, and the second, she's only 5 1/2 months, was done with quick brace.. had them up for 1 1/2 weeks and they're already standing VERY well!:dancing_b

·
Extraordimary
4,976 Posts
The Quick Brace system is sold by House Of Hoytt, which is the number one reason not to buy it, IMO.

It may very well have had nothing to do with the ease of getting the original poster's second dog's ears up. They all vary. I know people who have purchased the system and say it's a piece of flimsy crap, so to each their own.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
www.hoytt.com/ears

That's the website. I'm not sure if you would classify this system as 'cheap' or not, but it's DEFINATELY worth the money. I was spending tons of money on the expensive Johnson and Johnson elastikon tape which was the only tape holding her ears up, because you could only buy it at my local vets office. I went with kit # 3... 16 pair.. I've used 1 system, for a week and a half, and her ears look fantastic.. I will probably keep using them for a month or so just to make sure they're strong. I cannot stress enough how easy it is, how long it stays on and how comfortable it is for her.. She has no idea it's even on. She doesn't scratch, paw, or anything of that nature. You measure your dogs ear and they make them according to the size you provide.. They give you 3 different sizes... the initial size that you use first is approximately the size of the measurement you provide.. The next size is just a bit larger, and the third set even a bit larger than the second. It was around $128 or so, but I guarantee I won't use all of them. I could have went with a smaller kit. They send you a home made dvd on exactly how to do it, and they even show dogs that have SEVERE ear problems (laying on top of the head, overcorrecting, etc) and it made everyone of those dogs ears stand beautifully!! I found the site just browsing the internet and had never heard of anyone using them, so I was skeptical at first, but man i'm so glad I coughed up the money and ordered it. I cannot believe this company doesn't do more advertising because I'm sure they would make tons more money than they're making now.. If you ever go with the kit, let me know if you have any questions.. I mean i'm not a pro or anything, haha, but I might be able to help you..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
maryanddobes-

Really? Well you're definately right, it might not have been the only reason that her ears stood, but after taping them for weeks and weeks and just having the tips flop down right away I was completely blown away at how they look now.. I'm not familiar with anything that has to do with House of Hoytt... could you fill me in on what you mean by, 'it's the number one reason not to buy it'... you must know something i dont, hehe.. I'm just curious now :) I had never previously even heard of this company.. thanks!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Hi oakley :) HOH is a commercial doberman breeder, he breeds lots of dogs, limited to no health testing, and no titles for the dogs that are bred, other then some beginners OB titles. So anything that puts more money in the pocket of a person breeding for money alone, most of us frown on.

Lexus is a hoytt dog that was given to me, and I used the quick-brace on her, and it worked fine for her as well, just b/c that's what she came with and I learned to use, and I knew nothing about HOH not being reputable. That said, there's lots of other options including cups, etc that people use with excellant results. Each to their own, if it's working well for you, then that's good. I don't plan on having a pup again anytime soon, especially with so many rescue kids needing homes, and I am a fan of natural ears over cropped, buuuut if I were to do it again, I'd go a different avenue for posting.

I added this pic of lex to show her ears..

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use the quick brace system too. They do work well. The only thing i do'nt like is the gluing of it. If you stick on the brace and its a little off, yo'ure screwed!! Its hard, but i do'nt think i'd do it any other way to be honest.
My boy's ears look pretty good today, but they may flop later on and i'll have to re-brace them. I can't wait until his ears are done forever!

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
MaryAndDobes said:
The Quick Brace system is sold by House Of Hoytt, which is the number one reason not to buy it, IMO.

It may very well have had nothing to do with the ease of getting the original poster's second dog's ears up. They all vary. I know people who have purchased the system and say it's a piece of flimsy crap, so to each their own.
I agree. With all of the health problems in Dobermans today, I would NEVER ever give a dime to support these large scale commerical puppy breeders pump out more pet puppies. It is very sad, their dogs also end up in rescues. HOH doesn't do much of anything in the way of putting titles on their dogs or fully health testing breeding dogs, which is not something to be supported in any way.

I use foam to tape, it works great and isn't expensive. You can use Coach's Zonas tape in Wal-Mart, cut it in half and use that to tape ears.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
luvmyoakley said:
maryanddobes-

Really? Well you're definately right, it might not have been the only reason that her ears stood, but after taping them for weeks and weeks and just having the tips flop down right away I was completely blown away at how they look now.. I'm not familiar with anything that has to do with House of Hoytt... could you fill me in on what you mean by, 'it's the number one reason not to buy it'... you must know something i dont, hehe.. I'm just curious now :) I had never previously even heard of this company.. thanks!
If you had been taping for weeks and weeks and she was older, that was most likely what helped. The maturity and the constant taping. Not the brace. Just an opinion. There are many effective ways of posting. They depend on the puppy, ear leather, genetics, crop, and many other factors on when they stand and what they look like.

Do a search on House of Hyott in this forum, there are lots of threads on them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanx to all of you who answered my question... I LOVE my babies to death, however I must inform you that I do not 'show' nor do I know much technical information on dobies, they're just my family... so I was not aware of this company.. or what they do! Have never really done searches on places like that, so THANKS for filling me in! This site is WONDERFUL! Even to people who have had dobermans for a long time now...

·
Aru
12 Posts
This is what my 3 month old boy looks like with the Hyott brace system

Here is a picture of my Russian Dob Aru with the Hyott ear brace system. I went for a show crop so the ears are long and taking some time to stand fully on there own, but when he is at attention with the braces off they look amazing. I was reading that it is best to keep the braces on the ears till the dog is done teething. Not sure about how accurate this is but I am going to try it out being that he has such a large crop.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
This is an old thread that was just bumped, so I am responding.

I have tried HOH's quick brace system. Personally, I prefer the backer rod method over this system. The ears of our girl that we did with the backer rod method turned out better than the one's we did with the Hoytt system.

·
Banned
35 Posts
each person has their own opinion on what method works for their dog

there are alot of methods out there its just finding which one works best for you and your dog

this method may work better for some and worse for others . your not buying a dog from them so the non-reputable breeder situation isnt what matters the most here

try other methods first and if they dont seem to be working there is no harm in trying this one. its all about finding what works best for you and your dog

1 - 15 of 15 Posts