Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Forager
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to assist our 75 lb. female in urinating (bladder expression?). Any proven techniques or hearsay would be enthusiastically received.
She is currently being treated for Immune-Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (IMHA) with Prednisone, AZA, Cyclosporine, Famotidine, Sucralfate, Aspirin, and Tramadol. As many of you know, Prednisone causes excessive urination, and Sasha is no exception. Until now, she has been able to squat while peeing. However, she's suddenly incurred some left hind leg weakness, which will not support her: she's either very toe-y, or she holds up her left hind leg completely.
Five months ago both knees were repaired; the vet believes that her hind legs, while well-repaired, are among her weakest organs, and are probably suffering moreso from the debilitating attacks on the system by this disease.
Progress on the IMHA is very slow, unfortunately. And I need to help her relieve herself until she grows stronger, which, as many of you know, is no certainty with this insidious condition.
May I ask everyone to please refrain from telling me to take her to the vet, who is aware of this issue: We've been to the vet 7 times in the last 15 days, including two night emergency visits. Sasha's vet says that she is so loaded on drugs right now, and that her condition is so tenuous, that any more procedures or testing would stress her system to the max.
I simply have to find a way to help her pee, until her back legs strengthen. Sorry, if I sound abrupt; but I've been taking care of her 18 hours a day for the last 15 days, and I am weary--and a little deflated.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
No help, but I am wondering if this is something the E-vet could talk you through on the phone.

I am so sorry to hear of anyone going through such a rough thing, and I hope very much that you manage to help your girl pull through.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I Googled "How to express a dog's bladder" and found a bunch of stuff, including this: How to Express Your Pet's Bladder. In the big dog section, there is an example of a sling-like thing that looks simple and may be useful to you. If you do that same Google search, you will find more, including videos. I am not in a position to evaluate any of this for correct technique, though, since I have not performed this myself.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
A towel can replace a sling if you don't have one. Bunched up under her belly, and hold her back legs up like that. You can then support her back end as much or little as she needs. Good luck and thanks for taking such good care of her

1 - 4 of 4 Posts