Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Kenai Kahlua
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, Kenai is now 4 months old and doing AMAZING!! He truly is a remarkable dog. I have a few questions and concerns though that I'm hoping DT can help me with since there is a lot of people on here with years of knowledge that I just do not have.
1. Kenai has a new fetish with my feet, meaning his new favorite thing is to urinate on them... :mad: I have talked to a behaviorist and she was stumped because normally she sees this as a sign of "marking" and he should not be at that level yet. He does it when we are outside also. he will be running, stop directly on my foot, urinate, stop, then go back to running. It is a very disgusting habit and I am doing a good job at restraining it (taking him out only on a leash, making ahh sounds when he comes near my foot, praising good behavior when he potties in the right places. But my question is why? Has anyone else dealt with this?
2. Kenai likes to nibble on himself, like suckle, at first I thought it was his food but now that I have him on a special diet he still does it. I read somewhere that it could be boredom so I am making a point of keeping his little mind occupied with bones, daily walks, 15 minutes a day of training, he plays with our other dogs constantly and I am home 24/7 and give him all the time in the world but when he lays down he does it still.. so I am at a loss here, will he grow out of it? Is there something I am doing wrong? Is there a way to fix it?
3. My boy is a HUGE wimp! Even if I take him to private dog parks he yelps and runs away from a puppy smaller than him, is this normal? How do I encourage play without freaking him out? I dont want to scare the poor guy or traumatize him. Tomorrow my fiance and I are finally going to pick up our German Shepherd girl that we have been waiting for, for a long time. She is from a remarkable breeder and after waiting what seems like forever, she is finally 12 weeks old! (We pre-ordered her a year ago) Will kenai adapt? We are going to be so heart broken if we have to give Kiara back to her breeder, but we want what is best for both dogs.
4. What age is a good age to neuter him? I heard 6 months, I have heard a year. I want to neuter him as soon as I can haha I do not want any hormone puppy business going on!
5. Last one I promise, His ears...we have been posting for only a month now, (Thank you to the sticky in the threads) we did his ears a little late I know, but they stand most of the time but they have little creases in the side that make them fall, I post and post and I just cant seem to get those to go away! I will post a picture for reference but is it pointless to keep posting? Do you think they will every turn out straight in the end? Or should I give up and grow with the terms that this is how he is going to look? It really isnt a HUGE deal, I will love him the same, I'm just curious.
Thank you all so much in advance!! :) If any of you can answer any of these I would appreciate it so much!!

Attachments

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
1. My second boy went through a phase of sitting on feet that wore white socks. yes, only white. he was probably closer to 12 mths old when he did this though. he did grow out of it. It really does sound like a marking exercise in your case though, although, it does seem too early for that sort of behaviour.

2. Some dobes are genetically predispositioned to be anxious and have OCD tendancies like sucking on themselves or their blankets. Your boy could be one of them.

3. Do some searching on fear phases/imprinting and building confidence. Bear in mind...this could also be related to number #2 above. You might need to do a lot of confidence building with him.

4. It does come down to a personal choice. Hormones start kicking in around 10mths of age...but some behaviours can develop prior to that. My personal rule of thumb is I wait until they are lifting their leg, and hopefully both testes have decended. Then I monitor behaviour. TBH, in my experience de-sexing doesn't have a huge impact on behaviour in most dogs (there are exceptions of course). between 8 & 12 mths is my personal preference, but I've also had one kept entire his whole life (almost 11 years) with no problems, and I've had one that was done around 6 mths, with no obvious problems relating to it. One thing that would sway me towards an earlier neutering, is if the dog is Vwd affected as the factor is at its highest when young.

5. Sorry can't help with ears, no experience because it's banned in my country.

ETA: Kenai is gorgeous btw. Welcome! :)

·
Kenai Kahlua
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much this was all very helpful!! :)
Do you know if dobies ever grow out of the OCD behavior? Can it be fixed?

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
for the ears, our breeder said we need to continue posting until Deckard is 6 months old. keep going.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
some might...most wont. Hopefully he only has a mild case. Keep him stimulated and well exercised like you are doing, If he becomes self injuring (lick sores etc), start checking out some of the threads here on the topic.....but hopefully he'll not get that bad. Sucking on their hindquarters is called "flank sucking". I'd never come across it before until my last dobe. What works for one dog, doesn't always work for another, and some have it mild whilst others range in a scale up to severe. It seems quite individual. Begin by trying re-direction to toys etc when he gets into a sucking trance....but you might never really break him of the habit. it's a tricky one.

Anxiety seems to exacerbate it, so the confidence building play might help him with it too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts