Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rowan is being shown in AKC, but he is going to be with a handler. We are letting him mature/fill out a little so I'm not sure when his next show is going to be right now. So, I was thinking about maybe getting involved in some UKC shows to get some practice/experience in handling without the crazy pressure. I was just wondering a few things...

-How long does it typically take to register a dog with UKC?
-What are the major differences between AKC & UKC? (I know its more laid back and all owner/handler, but I'm looking for more specific rule type differences)
-Do you think this would be confusing for him?

Just want to learn more and hoping for some feedback on whether or not this would be a good idea. I know I had more questions, but of course can't think of them now!

Reactions: Sinister

·
Registered
384 Posts
You can get a TL # (temporary listing). You can call ahead before the show and get it or do it the day of the show if you don't have time before hand to register your dog.

Biggest thing I don't like about UKC compared to AKC is that you do not know your ring times. So if the show starts at 10am, you have to be there at 10am be it if you are the first dog in the ring or last.

You can register for the show the day of the show that is a plus compared to AKC incase you dont know what your schedule is. Plus they usually have 2 shows in one day.

I really like the UKC it is good practice for AKC, I usually dress and show just as I would for the AKC shows. My only concern would be to make sure your handler is okay with you showing the dog. Some do not like it at all because they dont want you teaching the dog a new habit etc and some think it is great practice.

I say go for it and have fun :)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info...I like to hear the pro's/cons.

That's a good idea, I will talk to his handler and see if she has any objections or if she thinks it will be good.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I love UKC, relaxed and lots of fun. I trained Wheeler by showing him UKC, since we don't have conformation classes locally. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Melissa is correct, you don't get a judging schedule in advance -- difficult to do since they take day of show entries. I always did pre-entry so I didn't need to be there until the show actually started and I only went to local shows (nothing more than 1 hour away).

I am sure that you would enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love UKC, relaxed and lots of fun. I trained Wheeler by showing him UKC, since we don't have conformation classes locally. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Melissa is correct, you don't get a judging schedule in advance -- difficult to do since they take day of show entries. I always did pre-entry so I didn't need to be there until the show actually started and I only went to local shows (nothing more than 1 hour away).

I am sure that you would enjoy it.
Thanks! That is exactly what I would do, just close shows and take our time with it, not really focusing on finishing but just gaining experience.

Are the rules different at all?

·
Registered
384 Posts
The rules are basically the same. EXCEPT sometimes they do NOT allow bait. This can be trickly usually the judges let you bait just not throw but some dont allow it at all. i usually just bait my dog for practice outside the ring and smelly up my hand and act like i have food and she falls for it in the ring.

Reactions: SpecialK

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rules are basically the same. EXCEPT sometimes they do NOT allow bait. This can be trickly usually the judges let you bait just not throw but some dont allow it at all. i usually just bait my dog for practice outside the ring and smelly up my hand and act like i have food and she falls for it in the ring.
Oh...I had read about the throwing, but didn't realize some don't allow bait at all! Great tip! :)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can someone help me decode this?? Is this show only for certain breeds?

ILLINOIS
NORTHERN ILLINOIS BOUVIER DES FLANDRES CLUB
MELROSE PARK (I) CONF ALT JS
*TEMPORARY LISTINGS AVAILABLE
Jul 21; S1 Robin Abbott JS GUARD SCENT TERR COMP; David Arthur (replacing Robin Abbott) (SIGHT GUN NORTH HERD (except BSD) Entries 8-9 am Show 9 am NLC: Novice Puppy
Jul 21; S2 David Arthur JS GUARD SCENT TERR COMP; Robin Abbott (replacing David Arthur) SIGHT GUN NORTH HERD (except BSD) Entries 8-10 am Show no sooner than 10:15 am NLC: Novice Puppy
Jul 22; S1 Marian Campbell JS GUARD SCENT GUN HERD (except BSD); Pamela Moore (replacing Marian Campbell) SIGHT NORTH TERR COMP Entries 8-9 am Show 9 am NLC: Novice Puppy
Jul 22; S2 Pamela Moore JS GUARD SCENT GUN HERD (except BSD); Marian Campbell (replacing Pamela Moore)SIGHT NORTH TERR COMP Entries 8-10 am Show no sooner than 10:15 am NLC: Novice Puppy
DOS $28; JS & NLC $10; PE $25; Weekend PE Special $90 same dog all 4 shows received by July 11, 2012
For Your Canine, 1975 Cornell Avenue, 60160; South on Mannheim Road/US-12/US-45 approximately 2.7 miles. Turn left onto Armitage Avenue proceed .4 miles. Turn right onto Cornell Avenue proceed 0.4 miles. Show site is on the left. Parking in front and behind building. Northeastern Illinois Bouvier des Flandres Club
Chairperson: Pat Walton (219) 962-3890 [email protected]
Event Manager: Philip Tanner, EM#1009 (replacing Maude Tank, EM#1001), 635 Hanchett St, St. Charles MI 48655 (989) 860-9845 [email protected]
Judge assignment changes & entry/show time changes posted 5/17/12

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Can someone help me decode this?? Is this show only for certain breeds?

ILLINOIS
NORTHERN ILLINOIS BOUVIER DES FLANDRES CLUB
MELROSE PARK (I) CONF ALT JS
*TEMPORARY LISTINGS AVAILABLE
Jul 21; S1 Robin Abbott JS GUARD SCENT TERR COMP; David Arthur (replacing Robin Abbott) (SIGHT GUN NORTH HERD (except BSD) Entries 8-9 am Show 9 am NLC: Novice Puppy
Jul 21; S2 David Arthur JS GUARD SCENT TERR COMP; Robin Abbott (replacing David Arthur) SIGHT GUN NORTH HERD (except BSD) Entries 8-10 am Show no sooner than 10:15 am NLC: Novice Puppy
Jul 22; S1 Marian Campbell JS GUARD SCENT GUN HERD (except BSD); Pamela Moore (replacing Marian Campbell) SIGHT NORTH TERR COMP Entries 8-9 am Show 9 am NLC: Novice Puppy
Jul 22; S2 Pamela Moore JS GUARD SCENT GUN HERD (except BSD); Marian Campbell (replacing Pamela Moore)SIGHT NORTH TERR COMP Entries 8-10 am Show no sooner than 10:15 am NLC: Novice Puppy
DOS $28; JS & NLC $10; PE $25; Weekend PE Special $90 same dog all 4 shows received by July 11, 2012
For Your Canine, 1975 Cornell Avenue, 60160; South on Mannheim Road/US-12/US-45 approximately 2.7 miles. Turn left onto Armitage Avenue proceed .4 miles. Turn right onto Cornell Avenue proceed 0.4 miles. Show site is on the left. Parking in front and behind building. Northeastern Illinois Bouvier des Flandres Club
Chairperson: Pat Walton (219) 962-3890 [email protected]
Event Manager: Philip Tanner, EM#1009 (replacing Maude Tank, EM#1001), 635 Hanchett St, St. Charles MI 48655 (989) 860-9845 [email protected]
Judge assignment changes & entry/show time changes posted 5/17/12
Ok - you can get your TL# there and dobes are in the "GUARD" group (guardian) Day of show entry (DOS) is $28. if you are entering "NLC" non-regular classes ie. puppy (their puppy is 3-6 months) then it is $10. You get a discount if you enter same dog all shows too. So yes, this is an all-breed show. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I will add to this -- just because I remember how confused I was in the beginning.

This show is hosted by the Bouvier Club, but is for all breeds within the Groups shown:
Guard, Scent, Terr (Terrier), Gun, Herd, etc.

S1 = show 1
S2 - show 2
The name after S1, S2 is the Judge. The groups after the judges name are the groups that judge is judging.

Weekend PE Special - is Pre-Entry Special

Have fun, good luck and don't worry. Everybody is very helpful and really good about telling you where you need to be. Most of the shows I have been run 2 shows consecutively with Show 2 starting about 30 minutes after Show 1. I literally was at one show, where I showed in Group in 1 ring, had to run to ring 2 to show in the class, back to ring 1 for BIS and back to ring 2 for group. Ring 2 actually had to hold Group for me.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok - you can get your TL# there and dobes are in the "GUARD" group (guardian) Day of show entry (DOS) is $28. if you are entering "NLC" non-regular classes ie. puppy (their puppy is 3-6 months) then it is $10. You get a discount if you enter same dog all shows too. So yes, this is an all-breed show. Good luck!
Thank you, thank you! Do you know how long a TL would be good for? Could I call ahead like now and get it for that date (its about 3 weeks away still). I'm just thinking that makes more sense than trying to rush the regular registration and not be able to do the pre-entry in time.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will add to this -- just because I remember how confused I was in the beginning.

This show is hosted by the Bouvier Club, but is for all breeds within the Groups shown:
Guard, Scent, Terr (Terrier), Gun, Herd, etc.

S1 = show 1
S2 - show 2
The name after S1, S2 is the Judge. The groups after the judges name are the groups that judge is judging.

Weekend PE Special - is Pre-Entry Special

Have fun, good luck and don't worry. Everybody is very helpful and really good about telling you where you need to be. Most of the shows I have been run 2 shows consecutively with Show 2 starting about 30 minutes after Show 1. I literally was at one show, where I showed in Group in 1 ring, had to run to ring 2 to show in the class, back to ring 1 for BIS and back to ring 2 for group. Ring 2 actually had to hold Group for me.
Thank you! I really appreciate the help because it is very confusing at first. I was going to ask about the day of too. I am thinking about just going by myself (don't really want to make a big deal of it, just wanna get the hang of it first and none of my "real life" friends are show people), but I don't want to be the only person standing around lost and nervous, not knowing where to go or what to do! :(

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Thank you, thank you! Do you know how long a TL would be good for? Could I call ahead like now and get it for that date (its about 3 weeks away still). I'm just thinking that makes more sense than trying to rush the regular registration and not be able to do the pre-entry in time.
I would just get online fill out the application for single registration and mail everything in Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope. Include a note that you want to show the dog on.... whatever the date is.

The UKC is in Kalamazoo, Michigan if you mail priority they will have it the next day. You can probably call them and get a reg number over the phone once they have the form and copy of AKC registration.

They are a small registry and will go out of their way to assist you.

Their website is UKCDOGS.com and you will see a link for Single Registration.

Reactions: Q734 and SpecialK

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would just get online fill out the application for single registration and mail everything in Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope. Include a note that you want to show the dog on.... whatever the date is.

The UKC is in Kalamazoo, Michigan if you mail priority they will have it the next day. You can probably call them and get a reg number over the phone once they have the form and copy of AKC registration.

They are a small registry and will go out of their way to assist you.

Their website is UKCDOGS.com and you will see a link for Single Registration.
Ok, thanks. I saw that you can also scan and send everything electronically. Maybe I will do that since the rush fee is only $15 and it would cost me $20 to do the TL anyway. I was just afraid that I wouldn't be able to register him by the deadline.

Also, I see that you can't really get much info prior to the show. Is there any way to know or get an idea of how many dogs would be entered? I'm just curious about what to expect.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I think David and Pam will both llike him. I have shown to them many of time and they are very nice and helpful.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think David and Pam will both llike him. I have shown to them many of time and they are very nice and helpful.
Good to know. I've heard it is less competetive and more fun, but do you think it is easier to do well in UKC? The reason I am wanting to do it is because his handler thinks he needs to fill out/mature yet before he will be ready for AKC. It will give both of us good practice, but I'm wondering if we actually have a chance at winning something?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Yes UKC is definatly easier. But there are AKC champions that compete there also. They show for fun or to get that extra title. I love UKC to have a great time with friends and to train puppies and keep them doggies used to the ring for those outta practice.
Drees nice treat it like you are going to a AKC show to show your dog. Meaning look nice groom your dog and use the RIGHT equiptment.
I wish you were closer I would go with you. We would have a blast!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes UKC is definatly easier. But there are AKC champions that compete there also. They show for fun or to get that extra title. I love UKC to have a great time with friends and to train puppies and keep them doggies used to the ring for those outta practice.
Drees nice treat it like you are going to a AKC show to show your dog. Meaning look nice groom your dog and use the RIGHT equiptment.
I wish you were closer I would go with you. We would have a blast!
Ha ha that would be nice! Well I appreciate all the info and encouragement. We haven't been training much lately, so we are going to do a class tonight and should be able to do 2 more before the show, so hopefully that will help. (Luckily for us one of the classes we go to sometimes is at this club!)

Reactions: ACarrigDobermans

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This maybe a stupid question, but how will we know if they allow bait or not? :confused:

·
Storm's Mom
118 Posts
They will have it on the board in front of the ring whether the judge allows bait or not. Everyone seems to have given you the main differences. The group names are different, like someone mentioned, Dobes are in the "Guardian" group. Be prepared to be at the show ALL day. Last weekend the shows started at 9am and we didn't finish both until around 830 that night. It's a "hurry up and wait" sort of concept. I would say it's easier to do well in UKC since you're not up against nothing but professional handlers. It doesn't take much to earn your CH title and it feels nice to win. Often you can go to AKC and walk away with nothing. UKC is a good way to build your confidence. Their points system is WAY different than AKC. In order to get a CH title you have to have 100 points, at least 3 competitive wins(which don't have to be against your own breed, it could be a group placement) under at least 3 judges. At my first UKC show which was a 6 show weekend, me and my girl got our CH title within the first 4 shows. You get 25 points for winning your class and 35 points for winning breed. GCH titles are a hell of a lot harder to get. You need 5 competitive wins(with at least 3 CH in the class of your breed). That's why I haven't been able to get ours yet since no one shows Dobes in our area. Overall you will have a wonderful time and gain experience. We could all always use more experience, as do the dogs.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts