Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tomorrow, a friend of mine is going to come over over with her young female German Shepherd who is about five months old now. I've got a couple questions...

First off, is it a bad idea to bring another dog into my apartment or not? If it's okay, how should I handle it?

Secondly, do I have to worry about any other kind of hanky-panky? I realize she's young, but I wanted to be sure. She hasn't had her first heat yet, Jack is unneutered. I assume they'll just play and play, but I wanted to be sure since we're going on an extended hike a little later on, lots of off-leash time.

Let me know...

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
If this is the first time they are meeting, I strongly suggest you meet on neutral ground. Go for a 20min walk around your area, let them sniff and follow each other. Once they are comfortable in each others presence, move to the apartment. Watch every move your dog does, remove all of his treats, toys, and food. It's best to keep the new dog on a leash until both have settled down. If there is any negative body language from your dog, it's best you remove the German shepherd out of the apartment, and keep the play dates outside for now.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
It depends on the dogs in question as far as where to meet. Mine are all used to going to other houses and people/dogs coming over and we have no issues with front door introductions. If I think the other dog might be overwhelmed, we go to a bigger area like my back yard.

To be safe, you might want to do as others suggested and go for a brief walk first then come back together.

Depending on how the dogs are with toys also, you may at first want to remove all toys and bring them down later.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
As the owner of a dog with issues with other dogs(ill bite them before they bite me mentality). I have a muzzle that I throw on her until we get play bows. The only time I didn't use a muzzle was with okie dobies Cash and she was a little too rough for my liking, I felt bad for Cash cuz he didn't get a chance to play cuz Saph wqs acting weird with him.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you guys feel it's okay to let them sniff and greet each other, and then go for a walk together, or do you just start walking them together before they've had a chance to do anything else?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Do you guys feel it's okay to let them sniff and greet each other, and then go for a walk together, or do you just start walking them together before they've had a chance to do anything else?
Everyone and every dog is different. Personally I walk my dog and the new one on either side of me, they can't sniff each other until we are walking great. Once we hit a large grassy area, I let their paths cross when they both feel like it. I do this because chase is a rescue, so I don't know his entire background, I play it extra safe with him.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I do that when some dogs come over. We go for a walk that starts side by side. Then since I have 3...I have to switch leads up and let them take turns getting next to each other for sniffs. Then we all walk into the house together. Dexter is the only exception to this. He comes over weekly and spends the night. They are all well aquainted with each other.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I either got lucky with my boy, or I have successfully stricken the fear of god in him. He has yet to growl at a person...stranger, no stranger, coming up behind him, walking by, doesn't matter.

Just today I took him to petsmart to get some more treats and chew bones and he met two pitbull puppies, male and female. Both were very friendly, but the female was friendly submissive. She went belly up and peed a tiny bit and from then on if we let them off leash, in the store, they would have had a ball together.

Others are right, it's up to you to know your dog. If you say your dog is friendly, and I know my dog is friendly, I would be 100% comfortable with your doggy coming inside my house...letting the two greet each other and the first sign of them wanting to play...they could have at it.

I personally think people worry too much, but again, no two dogs are alike.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
In over 10 tears, our Amy hasn't liked a few males, stood her ground, growled seriously, hackles up, mouth frothing, nipped action, etc.
- one was a young boxer, that did not show her respect or manners
- the other was a 150 lb. male, with sex drive

I would absolutely meet outside first, if all goes well...the apartment visit is possible.
- study the GSD interacting with your dog, in a neutral area...only then, will you know to proceed

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
I get better results if we all walk together first. With my dogs, I prefer to start with the new dog several feet away with their owner, and we all walk briskly. We move slowly closer together until we're all walking more as a group. Seems to start things off right.

Reactions: namaily

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think you will get a feel for what you should do once it is happening... Personally for me, I let them sniff if its the first meet, and then we would walk a bit, not dog to dog though. If they want to do some on leash play before hand as well I think thats fine. I find sometimes if I don't let them sniff, they are just eager and excited to get to that part right away and won't walk properly.

I wouldn't do the intro in your apartment..... If your dog is not familiar with other dogs coming to visit it could be a not so great situation. Its always better to start out on a neutral ground. Some dogs really like to claim their home as "theirs" and don't enjoy sharing it with others...

He may try to hump her, and she could be close into her first heat cycle if she is about 5 months old. Just re direct if it happens.... Or likely the bitch will tell him off on her own lol...

The hike will be good for them to have some off leash time together pending the walk and intro goes good :) Good luck to you and Jack!!!!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sounds good. Well in a couple of hours we'll be meeting outside and going for a short walk immediately, and over to a small field where they can meet each other. Then it's back home to hop in the cars and off to the woods for a long hike. If all goes well, after that, we might bring the Shepherd up to the apartment. Looking forward to it. All in all, I'm not really worried about it; Jack has always been really good with the girls.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Well, how'd it go?

Reactions: SchumiTEC

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, it went terrific, though I don't have pictures! Although my friend did take a few so I'll see if she can send em to me.

Kaleesi is a really cute little Shepherd, almost 6 months old, as I think I said before. This forest nearby is terrific. I'm sure there's more trails too, I've only been twice so I've only found one set of trails so far, but it's a pretty big forest, there must be others. They were off leash the whole time, had a blast chasing each other around.

Afterwards, they came up for a few minutes to my apartment but then Jack started obsessing over the poor little puppy's genitals, so they didn't stay long. I felt bad for the girl...and Bad Jack, you molester! She's too young for you.

As they were leaving, Kaleesi was just sitting there by the door with her back turned to Jack, waiting for her owner to put her shoes on.

So yeah, they had a blast together, but I think Jack came on too strong afterwards and so she ducked out early!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Well, it went terrific, though I don't have pictures! Although my friend did take a few so I'll see if she can send em to me.

Kaleesi is a really cute little Shepherd, almost 6 months old, as I think I said before. This forest nearby is terrific. I'm sure there's more trails too, I've only been twice so I've only found one set of trails so far, but it's a pretty big forest, there must be others. They were off leash the whole time, had a blast chasing each other around.

Afterwards, they came up for a few minutes to my apartment but then Jack started obsessing over the poor little puppy's genitals, so they didn't stay long. I felt bad for the girl...and Bad Jack, you molester! She's too young for you.

As they were leaving, Kaleesi was just sitting there by the door with her back turned to Jack, waiting for her owner to put her shoes on.

So yeah, they had a blast together, but I think Jack came on too strong afterwards and so she ducked out early!
Awesome! Do you live near the city center of Toronto? If so, you might have stumbled upon the don valley trails. It's roughly 30km of trails that take you north to Taylor creek (more trails) and south to the beachs. Watch for signs as these trails are patrolled by police, because people have their dogs off leash, when it's a leashed zone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts