Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We do not feed raw, but I would like to give Rowan raw bones for a treat and to help clean his teeth periodically. I have to be honest I'm completely clueless, so I was hoping you guys could steer me in the right direction. Some of the questions I have:

What types of bones are best (what animal and what parts)?

How big/how often can/should he have them?

I know they should be frozen to kill bacteria, but do you give them frozen or thaw them first? (sorry if thats a dumb question)

Where do you get your bones and what is a good estimate on prices?

And since he has never had a raw bone are there any tips on introducing them without upsetting digestion?

Thanks.

Reactions: RottenVonSpotten

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I'm no expert on this but I give Dreizehn half a femur bone once a week. I have this really nice grocery store nearby and they sell packs of these bones (one bone, two halves) for stews or something. He loves them. I know some people feed turkey necks as treats too, I don't know what else. I've found that at the more upscale grocery stores, not the regular ones, that cut meats onsite will sometimes sell the femur and knuckle bones that they have left over really cheap. Thats how I usually get mine.

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,615 Posts
Maybe you can see if you have a raw dog food store near you. I have one around the corner from me and I can buy a big bag (size of a grocery store plastic bag) of knucklebones for about $3 canadian. I also have found some nice big marrow bones at local butchers for about $1 a bone. Coco eats raw everyday so her teeth are nice and white. She also loves dehydrated windpipes (trachea) as treats. These seem to help keep her teeth looking great. I also agree on the turkey necks as a great option.

Reactions: SpecialK

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
I only feed raw knuckle bones and turkey necks as well. The femur bones are too hard for my taste; I don't want a broken tooth. Plus, the marrow can cause loose stools.

As a pup, Shanoa got one two or three times a week. Now, the dogs probably get one a week for teeth cleaning purposes.

We pay less than $1 per pound for bones, through the raw food supplier locally. I don't feed raw, but do get bones.

Reactions: SpecialK and LindaH

·
Registered
884 Posts
I buy femur bones from Jewel. I am careful not to buy bones that are cut too small and I remove all the bone marrow to prevent loose stools.

After the dogs have chewed all the meat off of them, I rinse the bones so that they can be given to the dogs again later in the week. I spread the inside with a little cheese, peanut butter, or liver sausage.

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,615 Posts
I guess we must be lucky because marrow does not cause Coco to be loose.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
I'm afraid of the femur bones too because of such powerful chewers. I think my little one would be alright but stopped once Jordan outgrew puppyhood.

My dogs are on raw so I don't add much for the benefit of teeth but things that they like to gnaw on are turkey necks and pig feet and ribs. This time of the year it is easy to get venison ribs and most people don't use them so they are in abundance for the dogs to snack on for a treat.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Ok now what last week gave buddy a Raw Turkey neck he does not get fed raw only kibble sometimes canned mixed in back to the Turkey neck all he did is lick it,chewed a tiny bit. Then he was going in circles looking for a hiding place for it since we have a 13.6# Dachshund I took the Turkey neck back put it in two plastic bags put it in the freezer? Licking the turkey Neck is not going to clean Buddy's teeth so took him for a dental also removed the sore on his gum for biopsy at $155.00 the Turkey Neck at $1.22 was a much cheaper option how do you get a dog to chew it ? any ideas ?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Maybe give a few skinless chicken backs to give the idea of chewing them. Can you put the little dog up or maybe crate Buddy so he feels safe with his neck. You might try starting w/chicken necks but I wonder if he would just swallow them whole. I also give pork neckbones, turkey wings(some are a meal), and turkey necks. I thaw first and give around once a week.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Ok now what last week gave buddy a Raw Turkey neck he does not get fed raw only kibble sometimes canned mixed in back to the Turkey neck all he did is lick it,chewed a tiny bit. Then he was going in circles looking for a hiding place for it since we have a 13.6# Dachshund I took the Turkey neck back put it in two plastic bags put it in the freezer? Licking the turkey Neck is not going to clean Buddy's teeth so took him for a dental also removed the sore on his gum for biopsy at $155.00 the Turkey Neck at $1.22 was a much cheaper option how do you get a dog to chew it ? any ideas ?
Sometimes when my dogs get something new, even though they are fed raw, they look at it like I'm giving them a little green man to chew on. It just takes them a while to realize it is food and can be eaten. He probably literally doesn't know what to do with it. Give it time, keep offering and he'll get the hang of it.

First time I gave my senior a chicken quarter she licked and played with it for about 3 hours. I gave her time since she was 14 years old, LOL and she was enjoying it. I'd say the first couple times she just played, licked and gnawed a little. After that she ate them in about 15-20 minutes, and that was with very little in the way of teeth.

Linda, you just reminded me I have not been paying attention to turkey sales. Shame on me. I love this time of year when you can sometimes get it for 29 cents a pound. I spend hours cutting up turkey and bagging in meal sizes. I'm going to have to go look through the sales now.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
We do not feed raw, but I would like to give Rowan raw bones for a treat and to help clean his teeth periodically. I have to be honest I'm completely clueless, so I was hoping you guys could steer me in the right direction. Some of the questions I have:

What types of bones are best (what animal and what parts)?

Knuckle bones, the bigger the better. Cow.

How big/how often can/should he have them?

Big, see picture below. 1-2 times a week.

I know they should be frozen to kill bacteria, but do you give them frozen or thaw them first? (sorry if thats a dumb question)

Of course they start out frozen, and I don't normally put them back in the freezer.

Where do you get your bones and what is a good estimate on prices?

I buy my bones from a raw food supplier, they are .60 cents a pound.

And since he has never had a raw bone are there any tips on introducing them without upsetting digestion?

I would start of with about a 1/2 hour of chewing every other day and increase the time. He still may get a little runny, I wouldn't worry about it it will pass. [/B

Thanks.

For awhile I didn't give my two any and boy did I notice their teeth start to get a build up of tarter!

Here is Cash enjoying his somewhat large bone!!

Reactions: LindaH and SpecialK

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
These are some great ideas and I appreciate all the thorough info. Gonna start googling to see if I can find raw suppliers in my area. There's a really great hollistic dog store nearby and they have some raw bones, but I think its a bit pricey. For example, $11.99 for two 4" bones (beef/femur I believe). Hoping to find a cheaper option.

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
If you can't find any locally, I do also like the bones from the White Bone company and have given those. They are sterilized: Red Barn White Knuckle Bone

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
They don't need to be frozen, but you can freeze. I don't give any large animal weight bearing bones (often referred to as "wreck" bones for breaking teeth).

Now I typically give lamb shanks, beef back ribs, etc. I don't give femurs, soup bones, etc. I also give pieces of whole cut up chicken/turkey, etc.

Reactions: LindaH and SpecialK

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I just found a local butcher shop about 5 mins from my house! Not only am I excited about the bones but even for meat :) Anyway, I stopped in to talk briefly to the butcher and he was very friendly and willing to even order us any particular type of meat or bone we would like. He just had a bunch of turkey necks but said they were just bought out, but had chicken necks. Would these be ok or should it be turkey? And do you just give it whole? Mom also said she'd save Rowan the turkey neck from the Thanksgiving turkey :) He also had some femurs but no knuckle bones so I guess we will have him get us some of those. Thank you so much for all the info!

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
With the turkey necks and other poultry suggestions, do you freeze to kill bacteria? Do you trim the meat or give "as is"? Does it cause the same loose stool as marrow? I think this is a fabulous idea! W give marrow bones, but have to scoop out most cuz of the tummy upset. I have never heard of this option and am eager to try it!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts