Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. My pup has pockets and I have been using the backer rod method with bumpers as described here. However, after 2 months of trying to correct the pockets, they are not any better. I have been using a bridge very low on the head because when I don't her ears are so strong she pulls them and they completely tip and touch in the middle and the only thing that keeps them apart is a stable bridge using the backer rod. I have tried just tape and that doesn't work at all. Is there anything else I can try? She is 5 1/2 months old and has already lost all her baby teeth and I am getting worried that she is just stuck this way. They only tip when she is alert otherwise they stick straight up. Here are some pictures of what is going on.

·
Premium Member
10,917 Posts
Keep using bumpers as well as the brace. The problem you are having with the minor pockets that only show up when she is really alert is common on puppies--usually another month of posting in full posts + bumpers will fix it and to some degree just plain old getting older helps too.

dobebug

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Neo Puppy, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
5,118 Posts
ReneeD,

I'm a novice ear poster as our last Dobe was posted by breeder while I was away working. Now, we have a new 4.5 mo. puppy Neo that developed pockets after 4th posting removed (long show crops). We use the glued-in backer rod method with a loose tape bridge down low up to that point. I noticed on 4th posting, his ears would bend inward even with the posts on when on walks, where he is on high alert and I call his "Super flexed" ears.

Neo SuperFlexed Ears inward w/pockets after 4th posting removed

I used bumpers only for a couple postings but still had pockets. To remedy, I sought out ear posting advise from Neo's breeder, Luci Stubbs and also DT's veteran member, Dobebug, who has been posting Doberman ears since the 50's. They both recommended bumpers plus a fixed bridge, which is a very low, loose tape bridge stiffened with a piece of backer rod with one side flattened by cutting and fitted between ears. Dobebug said ear set position on certain Dobes affects the pocket formation. Also as puppy's head grows and gets wider, ears tend to spread out from inward tilt naturally.

The fixed bridge keeps the ears out at 11-1 or 10-2 positions even when super-flexed on alert. I used fixed bridge for 3-weeks and pocket problem was solved! I'm keeping fixed bridge on for one more week to make sure.

Post Bumper Placement Location in Ear

Very Low Fixed Bridge Posting
(3/4 cut Backer Rod only- no tie-wrap stiffener)

Semi- Relaxed Ears after 3rd Fixed-Bridge Posting

Alert Ears - After 3rd Fixed-Bridge Posting

I'm sure Dobebug and others will chime in shortly! :)

Post Edit- She already did!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ReneeD,

I'm a novice ear poster as our last Dobe was posted by breeder while I was away working. Now, we have a new 4.5 mo. puppy Neo that developed pockets after 4th posting removed (long show crops). We use the glued-in backer rod method with a loose tape bridge down low up to that point. I noticed on 4th posting, his ears would bend inward even with the posts on when on walks, where he is on high alert and I call his "Super flexed" ears.

Neo SuperFlex Pockets on ears inward after 4th posting removed

View attachment 140450

I used bumpers only for a couple postings but still had pockets. To remedy, I sought out ear posting advise from Neo's breeder Luci Stubbs and also DT Veteran member, Dobebug, who has been posting Doberman ears since the 50's. They both recommended bumpers plus a fixed bridge, which is a very low loose tape bridge stiffened with a piece of backer rod with one side flattened by cutting and fitted between ears. Dobebug said ear set position on certain Dobes affects the pocket formation. Also as puppy's head grows and gets wider, ears tend to spread out from inward tilt naturally.

The fixed bridge keeps the ears out at 11-1 or 10-2 positions even when super-flexed on alert. I used fixed bridge for 3-weeks and pocket problem was solved! I'm keeping fixed bridge on for one more week to make sure.

Post Bumper Placement Location in Ear

View attachment 140455

Very Low Fixed Bridge Posting
(3/4 cut Backer Rod only- no tie-wrap stiffener)
View attachment 140453

Semi- Relaxed Ears after 3rd Fixed-Bridge Posting

View attachment 140451

Alert Ears - After 3rd Fixed-Bridge Posting

View attachment 140452

View attachment 140454

I'm sure Dobebug and others will chime in shortly! :)

Post Edit- She already did!
Thank you for the information. This is what I have been doing for about 10 postings and they are not getting better. Dobebug mentioned maybe with age it will get better and to keep it up for another month. Not pocket related, but, I notice you don't have tape covering all the ear...seems like the ears can breath better this way. We are using zonas breathable tape but still, I think I might try this on her next posting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep using bumpers as well as the brace. The problem you are having with the minor pockets that only show up when she is really alert is common on puppies--usually another month of posting in full posts + bumpers will fix it and to some degree just plain old getting older helps too.

dobebug
Thank you so much. I will keep at it and see...Hazel had ear infections and had to have her ears down for almost a month, which caused the pockets. So, I guess they are just being stubborn and I am being impatient I was just hoping that after this long and almost 10 postings later she would be farther along. She isn't cooperative at all so it is quite a stressful process. We use marrow bones now and it is better but I am looking forward to the day we can stop this process.

·
Premium Member
10,917 Posts
Thank you for the information. This is what I have been doing for about 10 postings and they are not getting better. Dobebug mentioned maybe with age it will get better and to keep it up for another month. Not pocket related, but, I notice you don't have tape covering all the ear...seems like the ears can breath better this way. We are using zonas breathable tape but still, I think I might try this on her next posting.
You can post ears with only three wraps of tape around the ear but if you have even minor pockets the bottom wrap (which is the really important one) will sometime work better when trying to get out pockets if you put two or three wraps at the bottom--it generates a little heat which softens the ear cartilage which helps work out the pocket. It's also absolutely necessary to make sure the bumper against the pocket. And yes making sure the bridge is pushing the ears out to a 10/2 position and making that bridge a stiffened one if you have to, will also help. because it does stabilize the ears.

I'll further note that alone, the gradual widening of the skull as the puppy grows will often not alone keep pockets from forming nor fix them if they have formed. That not one you want to count on.

Keep working at it. Maybe getting some pictures of the ears when posted the puppy is fully alert would also be helpful. Best shots are taken directly from the front looking squarely into the puppy with the pup at full attention. One shot with ears posted and one with newly unposted ears.

dobebug

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You can post ears with only three wraps of tape around the ear but if you have even minor pockets the bottom wrap (which is the really important one) will sometime work better when trying to get out pockets if you put two or three wraps at the bottom--it generates a little heat which softens the ear cartilage which helps work out the pocket. It's also absolutely necessary to make sure the bumper against the pocket. And yes making sure the bridge is pushing the ears out to a 10/2 position and making that bridge a stiffened one if you have to, will also help. because it does stabilize the ears.

I'll further note that alone, the gradual widening of the skull as the puppy grows will often not alone keep pockets from forming nor fix them if they have formed. That not one you want to count on.

Keep working at it. Maybe getting some pictures of the ears when posted the puppy is fully alert would also be helpful. Best shots are taken directly from the front looking squarely into the puppy with the pup at full attention. One shot with ears posted and one with newly unposted ears.

dobebug
Getting the bumper in the correct position has been a challenge, her pockets seem to be in a hard-to-reach place. I think I need to make the bumper a little bit thicker so that it pushes the pockets out better. Also, I do wrap the bridge in duct tape twice and then zonas to make it stiff. I will try to get better pictures next time but here is one 5 mins after her post came out and when she is awake ;) I will get a pick of her new posts. 1st pic last week and the 2nd one was today. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

dobebug
Here is how we are posting her ears, please any advice is greatly appreciated. I actually switched this time to a larger backer rod and the bumper seemed to push out the pocket better, hopefully, that has been the issue.

·
Premium Member
10,917 Posts
The posting looks good--with post sizes it seems to be sort of feast or famine--either posters are trying to use material that is too big (when the puppies are little) or they forget about increasing the size as the puppy grows.

That's a priceless expression she has...the pockets from the pictures are very minor--I think using the slightly bigger post material and being careful to make sure the bumper is actually against the pocket will take care of it.

More pictures when you take the ears down again and I'd try to repost as soon as the ears are clean and dry (and you take a picture)--but it looks like you are getting close to being finished.

Even when basic teething is finished (not loosing any primary teeth any more and all secondary teeth have erupted) there is stuff going on with the teeth that you can't see which can and sometimes does affect the ears. So try another three postings using the same things you have used in the picture (bigger post material and bumpers with a stiffened bridge.

She's got a really nice looking crop so don't even think about giving up now--she's not quite 6 months so with a pretty long crop it may take another month or so to fix that minor tip in.

dobebug

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The posting looks good--with post sizes it seems to be sort of feast or famine--either posters are trying to use material that is too big (when the puppies are little) or they forget about increasing the size as the puppy grows.

That's a priceless expression she has...the pockets from the pictures are very minor--I think using the slightly bigger post material and being careful to make sure the bumper is actually against the pocket will take care of it.

More pictures when you take the ears down again and I'd try to repost as soon as the ears are clean and dry (and you take a picture)--but it looks like you are getting close to being finished.

Even when basic teething is finished (not loosing any primary teeth any more and all secondary teeth have erupted) there is stuff going on with the teeth that you can't see which can and sometimes does affect the ears. So try another three postings using the same things you have used in the picture (bigger post material and bumpers with a stiffened bridge.

She's got a really nice looking crop so don't even think about giving up now--she's not quite 6 months so with a pretty long crop it may take another month or so to fix that minor tip in.

dobebug
Thanks so much for the encouragement! The marrow bone really has helped keep her cooperative and wish we had tried that sooner...such drama with this one as you can see on her face. It just seemed "right" when I put in the larger posts, not sure why I didn't think about that sooner.

Good to know about the teeth...The Vet confirmed she has all permanent teeth, it has only been about a week and so I am sure her little body needs to harden things up...She turned 6 months July 22nd I had lost track of time (haha). We are planning on going until 7 months so I feel the end in sight!! I will post pics when we change out her posts, we try and go about 7 days checking them frequently to make sure all seems alright. At least she leaves them alone once they are posted, thankfully.

·
Premium Member
10,917 Posts
Hey, I don't know what happened here but my originial post said "Keep using bumpers as well as the brace." Somehow it acquired an interesting addition "...by bracebox." I looked to see what bracebox was and it was a whole segment on the web on braces of various sort--NONE APPLIED TO THE KIND OF BRACE WE TALK ABOUT WHEN REFERRING TO EAR POSTING. So anyone reading the kistona post--ignore bracebox, please.
dobebug

--------
I edited it out. Mod comment

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to follow up on this...I have been continuing to post with bumpers and a bridge and the right ear seems good. The left still has a slight pocket that has not changed for a month of postings. Hazels will be 7 months on the 22nd, all teeth in for a couple of months now. If there isn't any progress, how long do I continue? Could it be that her left pocket will never straighten? I find myself a little discouraged and my taping helper went back to college and she did such a good job, me, not so much it is a struggle.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Just to follow up on this...I have been continuing to post with bumpers and a bridge and the right ear seems good. The left still has a slight pocket that has not changed for a month of postings. Hazels will be 7 months on the 22nd, all teeth in for a couple of months now. If there isn't any progress, how long do I continue? Could it be that her left pocket will never straighten? I find myself a little discouraged and my taping helper went back to college and she did such a good job, me, not so much it is a struggle.
My boy didn’t have pockets but has a pretty long show crop and he was posted until almost 9 months and then, breathe right strips for another 3 months.
Keep going! She is precious and look like she is FULL of personality!

edited to add: I posted solo all but one time and was a wreck each time BUT if I can do it you can do it!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My boy didn’t have pockets but has a pretty long show crop and he was posted until almost 9 months and then, breathe right strips for another 3 months.
Keep going! She is precious and look like she is FULL of personality!

edited to add: I posted solo all but one time and was a wreck each time BUT if I can do it you can do it!!
Thanks! Sometimes I need a pep talk I guess. And, YES she is all personality never seen anything like her. I call her my Hazel BUTT or Hazel NUT.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts