Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

questions about pedigree chart

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  emerald9969 
#1 ·
has anyone heard of byb stealing pedigree charts of other breeders dogs and passing it off as their own dogs charts? also, how can a potential owner be assured that the dog he wants to buy is in fact from the sire and dam on the pedigree chart and that the breeder didn't use someone elses?

#3 ·
The owner of the dog's name is listed on the AKC or Cdn Kennel Club papers along with the dog's pedigree. The pedigree on their website may state the dog's lineage but the actual papers show the owner and breeder names. If it didn't match the people who own the stud dog or female I would be asking a lot of questions.

As well if the dog is shown, the results in conformation, agility, obedience, schutzhund/IPO list the owner and handler to help verify titles on the parent dogs.

I also recommend if the parents are being advertised has having OFA health checks, that the buyer check on the OFA website Orthopedic Foundation for Animals and learn what the different grades actually mean.

I recently saw a stud dog advertised as OFA elbows excellent when OFA elbows are graded as either normal or graded by the level of elbow displaysia. May have been a typo on the website but it would have me asking more questions to see if it was an honest mistake or perhaps the owner is not knowledgeable or trying to hide other things.

#11 ·
I did want to add kudos to the OP for thinking to followup on pedigrees to ensure everything checks out. I wish more puppy buyers would check references and know what questions to ask.

Reactions: pindrop
#13 ·
It depends on the breeder. Some will post and some will not. Each breeder will have different reasons for posting or not posting.

But if the parents of the litter are named by their registered names then you can usually find the parents of those parents on Welcome to DobeQuest for quite a few show line dobes or you can check Rassehunde, Zuchten, Welpen und Hundesport bei Working-dog.eu for extended pedigree of working line dobes. I personally love working-dog since there can be titles (show and working), health results, photos/videos, and dob of birth and date of death for many ancestors. Of course not everyone updates the profiles but it has alot of great information when used correctly.

#16 ·
You request the byb do a DNA test, I know the sire and the dam need to have
it done, but if you are unsure request that they do it on them and the pup.
AKC does the DNA, it's done on all imports if you want to breed, so I am sure
that they will do it on American breed dogs. That way you would be sure of the
sire and dam since you are in doubt.

#17 ·
If a dog has sired more than three litters in a year, or more than seven litters in his lifetime, his DNA must be filed with the AKC under the Frequently Used Sire guidelines. That said, I believe anyone can request a DNA parentage test on their puppy, if they suspect that the dogs listed as the parents are not correct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.