Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi my name is vanessa and i have many questions. i have seen many posts and need to learn from someone who knows alot about the breed. my grandma bought my puppy for $600 from a friend of a friend as a surprise gift. she doesnt know much about breeding and was trying to do something nice. i love my puppy very much, i have questions and no one to ask. i have researched the breed for awhile and was planning on buying one in the future but investing in a show dog because i wanted to start learning about showing because its something that always caught my interest. i also wanted to participate in schutzhund. i know my dear puppy is not show quality and i was wondering if he could be schuthund material. im also worried about him when i got him he was a just a tad thin but has fattend up since coming home with me. and the bones on his behind poke out a little bit could i perhaps take some pictures of him and email them to you so you could tell me the quality of doberman i have. not that it will affect my love at all i just wanted to know. we have a vet appointment next week as well. he's really a great puppy and learns fast i have been crate training him and have spent aloot of time training( i want to get him started early) and playing, and we have been working on his bite inhibitions. his ears stink a little for some reason. he has some pretty large paws and he is akc registered... could you please let me know what you think i would greatly appriciate it also how much does an average "pet" doberman cost? thanx again

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you are interested in Schutzhund find a good local club go down a watch a time or two, then start bringing him down for imprinting. If his ears smell they may need to be cleaned (especially if he has been playing with water), something to talk to the vet about. I'm not sure what you mean about how much a pet Dobermann costs? To buy, or to keep up? Good luck with him!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
i meant to buy, and i will ask if i can go with my leo thanx! i found a club by me to great rep
An avg pet price from a good quality breed ranges quite a bit from say 1500-2200 or so.

The pedigree has titles - either working, conformation, performance

the pedigree has been health tested for generations.

The breeder examines temperaments and longevity when deciding who to select as a stud dog.

They keep puppies 8-12 weeks. They don't typically sell them as gifts and new owners go through a screening process to be approved.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Welcome from Missouri - Please visit the United Doberman Club web site and you will find UDC clubs listed and maybe there is one in your area. I know Teri Clary is in Texas and she would be a great mentor for you.

Depending on your puppies background he may or may not be able to do Schutzhund but that does not mean you can't learn with him and then you would be better prepared ina few years to know which directrions you have more interest in conformation or Schutzhund.

Good luck and let us know if we can help.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
While he may or may not be suitable for SchH, he could be a good practice dog. Work as much as you can with him and see what happens. Starting young, you can begin building drive even if he doens't have a lot to begin with. Even if he doesn't pan out in protection, you could still do obedience and/or tracking too. So he can be a way of getting your feet wet in the sport. Plus, you never know, he could be a rocket in SchH!

·
Registered
633 Posts
He may have an ear infection if his ears smell bad. Definitely something for the vet to check into. They should be able to give you some ear wash and possibly medication, depending on what they find.

As others have suggested, definitely take him to a club and start working with him. I have a mixed breed dog I rescued from a local shelter and he's done very well for having no work done with him as a young puppy (got him at 6 months and they picked him up off the street). You can do a LOT with a young puppy to better prepare them for schutzhund. Lots of drive building and shaping future behaviors with food. Keep in mind, of course, that he may not be the star in a trial, but he should certainly be able to get a BH. :) Good luck!

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Hi, welcome to DT.

Please make sure the club you've contacted is aware how very young your new puppy is--and make sure you have at least a couple round of vaccinations in him, and a health clearance from your vet before taking him with you.

You can certainly start visiting and learning now, though, even if he may not be ready yet. Good luck!

Reactions: MeadowCat
1 - 8 of 8 Posts