Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I apologize if this has already been discussed, but here it is!
Now I completely understand the genetics behind vwd and how it is passed to progeny. I realize that if you have a Vwd affected dog, you can still breed to a vwd clear dog and the dogs will only be carriers, etc. I also understand the percentages behind it so please don't respond using just the figures!

My question is, if this is such an easily diagnosed and genetics based disease, why do breeders still breed dogs affected by it? If every breeder (which I realize is impossible) altered all vWd affected dogs, the disease could possibly no longer be a concern. My concern is that, if everyone remains breeding vWd carriers, (statistically speaking) it appears that every dog in the doberman breed will at least be a carrier. And as the percentage of vwd clear dogs decreased, the percentage of vwd carriers would greatly increase, meaning about 25% of dobe's would have it. I realize this is a HUGE generalization, but it seems to me that if this is such a 'simple' disease, (As far as testing and understanding the genetics goes) why do people not 'breed it out' so to speak.

I realize this would knock out many perfectly healthy dogs who greatly contribute to the breed, so is this why people don't just 'call it quits' breeding wise if the dog has vWd? Sorry, this has just been sitting in the back of my head poking at me for awhile, so I had to see others response on the subject.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
'Don't throw the baby out with the bath water" is the first thing that comes to mind. Unfortunately, we have a SICK very SICK breed. Since vwd is one of the "more mild" conditions (so to speak), and since carriers and many affectes are NOT clinically affected, I think people continue to breed and focus on the other deadly diseases such as cardio, cancer, wobblers, etc. We could say the same thing about low thyroid dogs. I know many low thyroid dogs who are bred.

If I had to choose, give me vwd over cardio at least.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cardio over vwd, yes for sure!! I assumed that was the answer.... and it does make sense, I just feel like it would at least be one that was fairly easy to get rid of. Especially easier than something like cardio or thyroid, considering these don't even appear until later years in life (most of the time anyways)

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
the vWD issue gets talked about a lot :) One of the best examples out there (listed below) and all the factors that go into finding a pair that are best suited AND compliment each other for breeding.

Here's my example:

My bitch is:
DNA vWD carrier
DNA negative for the DCM mutation
recent holter/us normal
recent liver values normal
Hips OFA good
red #8 (carries dilution)
Eyes normal
thyroid normal

First off, for the sake of your argument, I will eliminate ALL dogs that are not vWD clear. Let's just also say that we divide affected, carrier and clear into each a third of the overall population. Now I have effectively eliminated ONE THIRD of my choices. (Please let's not debate the actual statistics...this is just a hypothetical example because I would say there are FAR less clears than 1/3 of the population)

Next, I have a DCM mutation negative. I want to keep it that way so I need a DCM negative male. Wow. Not that many. Yet anyway, because not everyone has done the test. No test. Not on my list. So again for the sake of argument I have now basically eliminated 1/2 of 1/3 of the population and I have not even started on other heart testing or cardio in the pedigree. Again no recent holter/US not in contention. Cardio numerous or close in the pedigree? Nope off the list too.

How many options am I down to now? I need OFA good or better, or a preliminary at least, and at least a baseline liver value. Ditto for thyroid. Not everyone does all of these and again no recent test....off or to the bottom anyway on the list of contenders. These three items I may need to be flexible on because hip displaysia is not that common in the breed, and the last two are not difinitive....normal now and next week the test could be different.

I do not want dilution. My bitch carries dilution. Better look again into the dwindling list of contenders.....dilution? Off the list.

If I found the perfect mate and he was red, I would condsider a red to red breeding however not my first choice. Prefer black....how many fit the bill now?

Good looking? Absolutely, and at least AKC pointed. If a dog cannot conform to the AKC standard then off the list. Ditto for temperament. I have pet people who need have a reliable sensible dog and I want that too. Preferably stud dog X has some performance titles or a WAC at least behind his name.

How many am I down to now? I have some personal preferances too. I need a dog that can compliment my bitch appearance wise and not bring in any or excentuate the faults she has. Missing teeth? Off the list. CVI in the pedigree? Hmmm....problem there too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts