Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping this is the right forum for this question, but if not please let me know.

I am planning to attend my first show this weekend, The Indy Winter Classic, but need a little help. I finally figured out the schedule but I'm not sure what to expect. My husband, two children, and I will all be attending as a way to gain even more exposure, see the Dobes in action and hopefully get a chance to chat with some people along the way.

Is there a place to sit since we have children?
Is it easy to the the dogs in the ring?
Is it acceptable to chat with the owners/handlers afterwards? I know this seems common but I don't want to get in the way.

Any advice would be great. I hope these questions don't seem too elementary but considering how difficult it was just to find out the schedule-I'm a little intimidated already :)

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
There may be some chairs, but you may want to bring your own folding chairs to sit at ringside. Otherwise, you mayhave to stand. Bringing the kids is fine as long as they are well behaved. Of course, it is OK to talk to the Dobe people after the judging, but some will be more friendly and talkative than others. It is a good idea not to get in their eway if they are preparing or handling a dog. However, if they are just watching, many will be glad to talk to you during the judging especially if they can brag about their dog in the ring. LOL If you donlt have the schedule, Google Roy Jones Dog Shows and click on Judging Programs.

Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Ditto to everything Kansa said. There is usually someone who will talk to you and explain what is going on. You might want to buy a catalog so you can see who the dog is and their breeder.

A dog I bred is showing there on Saturday and Sunday - I'd be thrilled if you cheered for him - he just needs 5 singles to finish :)

In male dogs: Fitzmar's Hour Of Power - shown by Cindy Lane Smith. I'm guessing he will be in open black.

Most importantly - just enjoy!

Reactions: Dobeinindy

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
Yep.

it might not be easy to see the dogs in the ring, it depends on how crowded. Try and figure out where the judge will stand the dogs for inspection - you can ask the ring steward, they might know. Because typically after inspection, the handler and dog proceed counter clockwise from their and line up, stand around, stack the dogs while the inspections are being done. Great time to admire the dogs, take pictures, etc. If there's only one or two dogs in the ring, this all happens fast. You'll see handlers and the lined up outside the ring waiting for their call to go in. They are usually practice stacking, or getting the dog stoked up and happy. Usually you can get a quick question or comment in then. That's when I love to take ringside candid photos. And it's busy around the ring, shuffling dogs in and out, etc - it's like grand central station. Depends on the size of the show.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
my mentor took me to my first dog show.

she was awesome and by the end of the first day i had a very good idea of how it all worked!

if you know anyone experienced with the whole show scene, ask them to come along and show you the ropes!

have fun..take lots of pictures for us please! :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've been to quite a few dog shows recently in my area (and can't wait for Fiesta Cluster in March and then Turquoise cluster in April!). Basically none of them have had chairs available, or very minimal folding chairs (maybe 2-3) around the rings.

As for visibility, it really depends on how the rings are set up. Generally the ones I've been to only have one or two sides of the ring available for spectators (the others are backing up to other rings). Also be sure you know where the dogs are entering because you won't want to sit right next to there, either.

With kids, definitely remind them that they must ask the owner before petting the dog. Generally I try to go up to them and ask if they have the dog out (well before the judging) or sometime after the judging. Honestly, well before can be better because some people are annoyed with the judging results after or are in the process of leaving. Some will talk, some won't. Just depends on the person.

The shows are always a lot of fun. Plan to be there for at least a couple of hours, and enjoy!

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I'd say bring your own chairs, food for your kids, and get parked 1 row back from ringside so the kids don't accidentally kick the ring gating or something if they get bored. Dog showing can be quite boring if you don't know what is going on.

I agree with whoever said buy a catalog so you can put name with a number as each class goes into the ring. Use good judgement about approaching dogs, and do not hang out at the ring entrance. People rush in and out getting their dogs in....so an early arrival and chat with someone as they are setting up may be a good option, asking if you can meet their dog or chat after they finish showing. Most handlers are not chatty while showing, and some can be downright abrupt.

Have fun, keep kiddos under control, and all should go well!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
What everybody else said.... and get there early. The Indy show is typically large, busy, and very crowded particularly around the rings. You may want to take something for your kids to entertain themselves with - after the first few minutes they may find themselves bored.

Have fun!

·
Got mutt?
13,842 Posts
Another piece of spectator etiquette- don't pet the poodles! :) Poodle handlers can put in a couple of hours of grooming per dog getting ready for the ring. One well intentioned pat can make for more work. Always ask permission with ANY dog before petting, but especially ones that require extensive grooming.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
From another person who is new to showing, I also recommend that you get a catalog and maybe make notes. Pay CLOSE attention, especially at the end when the judge is making his/her decision. If you don't, you might miss it! It can be very hard to tell which dog won if you aren't paying attention right when they make their picks. If you don't understand the way the show/judging goes, I would recommend you read up a little ahead of time so you will have an idea of what is going on. It can be very confusing at first, but once you at least know what they are doing it is easier to keep up, IMO.

Also, you might be able to talk to someone who is watching their dog go out with a handler. They might be a little less busy, of course just feel out who is friendly and talk to them!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ditto to everything Kansa said. There is usually someone who will talk to you and explain what is going on. You might want to buy a catalog so you can see who the dog is and their breeder.

A dog I bred is showing there on Saturday and Sunday - I'd be thrilled if you cheered for him - he just needs 5 singles to finish :)

In male dogs: Fitzmar's Hour Of Power - shown by Cindy Lane Smith. I'm guessing he will be in open black.

Most importantly - just enjoy!
Thanks. I will keep an eye out for him!! Now I will actually have someone to cheer for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To Darkevs: I wish I knew someone but we are new to the area and hoping this will be our start to meeting other Dobe lovers out there. I will try and get some pics and post!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you to everyone for all the great information. I tried to read up a bit but couldn't find much information, other than not to let your kids touch the dogs :) I am looking forward to the experience and am glad to have all the info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts