Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently reached out to a breeder that said they are going to breed a niece and nephew pair, and that the male was VWD clear but the female is a VWD carrier. Doesn't this make for potentially unhealthy pups?.. I know very little about breeding, but I thought line breeding this close isn't optimal... Please help educate me!

Thanks in advance <3

·
Super Moderator
15,707 Posts
No. The resulting breeding could only yield carriers or clears. Furthermore, VWD is not as serious as many have made it out to be. The most important testing you should be looking for is cardiac. You want to see 24-hour holter monitor results and echocardiograms on the sire and dam. Breeding cousins is considered line breeding and done commonly. Who is the breeder you have been talking to?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
In the competitive world breeding a niece and nephew isn't uncommon if you're looking to instill some particular traits into your breeding program. If this is jo schmo pet breeder, I would be concerned about their lack of knowledge in their own program. I would question why they are inbreeding. Not in a negative way, but in a "what traits are you looking to keep?" kind of way? Also, "do they foresee any potential negatives from this breeding?

One thing to know about dobermans is the COI is about 35-45% so most dobermans are cousins.

I would put little value in carrier to clear for vWD. If we took all affecteds and carriers out of the breeding programs dobermans would cease to exist.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts