Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy & I have been though beginners obedience & Buddy has his CGC he is 16 months old now.When I tell him sit or down he seems to think he has to think about it before doing it very slow to respond.I only tell him one time then I usually have to get him by his collar and make him do the command which is starting to get very old.Is he just being a teenager to see if I will make him do the sit or down, I have been ill so have not worked with him every day. We just now are starting back on going for walks in the early mornings. Any ideas we just do not seem to be connecting lately.
Patches Mom

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Toby, my big doofus Labrador is like that, and he'll be five in August.

I'll tell him something, like "Toby sit", and he'll dance around for ten or fifteen seconds before he sits. About the time I think maybe he forgot what I asked him is when he finally gets around to it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Don't feel bad, Patches mom. My boy is only 17 weeks(18 on Thursday.) He does the same thing. He knows what I'm asking him to do, just figuring out if he wants to or not!! He also will do the sloooow sit. Monkey....

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Patches mom--You might want to try this before meal times. Have food ready--usually they are very attentive. Say sit--if it is fast say yes give a sample of dinner. (than do a few more times before he gets it all after a very fast sit) If he is slow leave food up and do something else maybe for about 5 minutes. Repeat until he sits as quick as you want. Keep trying if he does not give the correct response no dinner until he does. He will figure it out--I believe you have a very smart boy there who is trying to out think you.:)

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would not be too hard to out think me would be allot better if hubby would keep his crud to himself seems like it takes me forever to get over it.Have not been taking Buddy walking too much it is so hot here even in the mornings high humidty too.Hope Fall comes quick then in October Buddy will be 18 months old will not have to worry about his growth plates. Are you suppose to check with the vet to see if the growth plates are closed how do you know????
Thanks Patches Mom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts