Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy is now 1 year old. Should a Dober Dog know where his teeth are at all times? The reason I 'm asking I play fetch with 2 balls with Buddy when he gets close to me returning with the ball I tell him drop it. Today leaned over to pick up the ball Buddy grabed the ball while it was in my hand his teeth did not break the skin but it sure hurt. I yelled ow turned and went into the house did not go back out for a while. He also still jumps up I have grabed his feet and held them forever seems like. I have tried walking in to him when he jumps up. Any new ideas he bumped my face with his hard nose, sometimes he gives kisses.
Thanks for any ideas.
Patches Mom

·
Super Moderator
15,530 Posts
He is probably just over excited. Try to teach him to sit and stay or even lay down after he drops the ball so you can pick it up without getting the teeth.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The Dog Trainer I saw on TV last week (Oprah Show) suggests turning your back on a Dog who jumps up on you. Looked like it worked for Oprah and her crazy Dogs.

I don't know what to tell you about grabbing your hand when Buddy is trying to grab his ball. Mensa sometimes grabs me when sge is going for the Frisbee, and she has broken the skin.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
I've been trying the turning back thing with Petey. He only jumps up when we are out hiking and I've stopped walking for what he thinks is too long. I just turn my back on him and stand my ground until he stops, resume looking at what "I" was looking at and continue when "I'm" ready. It's starting to work. At home we always make him sit when ever he gets too excited, even when playing.

Carol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts