Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me about when a Dobe gets there full height just wondering if Buddy will grow into those long ears of his??? Someone told me Buddy did not have much Rib Spring ??? would keep him from being a show dog. Of course just wanted a companion but interested in what Rib Spring means.At this time Buddy seems to have Mule ears acts like one too at times.Hope I do not sound like a mean Mom but feel like I can be honest with everyone.
Patches Mom

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Patches Mom said:
Can anyone tell me about when a Dobe gets there full height just wondering if Buddy will grow into those long ears of his??? Someone told me Buddy did not have much Rib Spring ??? would keep him from being a show dog. Of course just wanted a companion but interested in what Rib Spring means.At this time Buddy seems to have Mule ears acts like one too at times.Hope I do not sound like a mean Mom but feel like I can be honest with everyone.
Patches Mom
When a dog gets their full height depends on the lines they come from. Some family groups get their height fast, and will have done the majority of their growing tall by 6 months..other lines grow more slowly over a longer period of time. Generally, most of the growing will be done by 12 months or so..but that's not cast in stone.

Rib spring is what gives a dog breadth. Without good rib spring, a dog will be quite narrow, which is called slab sided. This affects endurance.

·
Premium Member
10,614 Posts
You have a puppy--he's only 18 weeks old. Most puppies grow into their ears even though at this age it might not look like he's ever going to.

As Murreydobe said--Dobes grow in accordence with what is characteristic of the lines they come from. Generally most will reach within an inch of their adult height by six months. I had one who was fully 18 months before he hit his full height but he didn't go through some of the stageyness that other puppies I've had have gone through. The young dog I have right now was probably only 1/2" short of his full height by the time he was 8 months--so he tended to look huge in the 6-9 puppy class.

Dogs that lack rib spring are one dimensional dogs--often they look great in profile and practically disappear when you look from the front. It does affect endurance and would be regarded as a fault in the conformation ring. You occasionally see dogs being shown hog fat trying to conceal their lack of rib spring.

However not all puppies have adequet rib spring from the beginning so I wouldn't panic about it at this point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts