Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this weekend trinity is going to my grandparents lake house with me and my mother. The only proble is that for some odd reason we have never been able to get her to use the restroom when her leash is on and my grandparents dont have a fenced in yard. For the time being we are going to just put on her harness and put her on a tie down till she uses the restroom but i would love to break her of this habit. Besides walking around for hours on end till she uses the restroom does anyone know of a way to break her of this habit. She has been known to hold it for 2 - 2 1/2 hours while on a walk with me. Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
hmmm thats weird lol With duchess she will go on the leash but it was always so difficult to handle her to go potty lol. after awhile ever since she was a puppy...I would say "go potty" and she would just decide to flop to the ground and roll over and all around lol. a retractable leash worked a little better for us. That way she can feel free but she isnt...and she didnt get tangled unlike the regular leash when she rolled around. lol.
A tie out might make her feel a little more at home...but make sure its strong enough...with a regular collar or harness and always be out there with her to keep an eye on her. :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea the harness and tie down are strong enough its the same tie down that shes wearing in the 4th of july pics i think are still up in my gallery. I dont remember if she was wearing her harness in those pics. One thing that is even odder is i never trained trinity to do this and i take her on lots of walks and everything. lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
Some dogs are very private and do not care to be observed. Can you use or have you tried a retractable? Maybe try tieing her near an area of a previous dropping of her's or another's and giving her a little privacy.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She doesnt care if i watch her cause most of the time i will be standing outside with her and even now i take her e-collar off when she goes to the restroom so i watch her and she goes fine. The retractables are to thin she would brake them. I use to have a 30 foot training leash that she snapped in half.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Good question I have the same problem with my dobie. We could go for a walk for ever and no way not untill we get home and loose in the backyard. Would like it if someone else has some tips too. As we will be travelling a fair bit this summer no fencing etc. won't even go on a flexi a piece away from me. I am one of those have dog will travel. They like to see the sights and meet people too and have the odd treat away. :) Plus it will be all out of town and near the beach summer time fun.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I didn't know dogs could use the restroom

how do you teach them to flush the toilet???

LOL; sorry couldn't resist!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
We had the opposite problem. We just recently completed our fence and our 1 1/2 year old dobe always went to the bathroom on leash. Now off leash in the yard she was hesitant to go.

I'm thinking that this will be the perfect opportunity for you to teach her to go on lead. Because no matter how long she holds it, she'll eventually just have to go - because she has no other option (hopefully not in the house!). When she finally does you'll need to really praise her (make a huge scene - abby loves it and learned very quick that way).

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea we are bring all of her favorite toys and all of her treats. We are thinking it might help also that my grandparents tea cup yorkie will be there ( trinity and him are friends ) and we are thinking maybe if 1 she stays out there long enough and 2 if she sees him use the restroom maybe she will go. I'm glad i'm not the only one with this problem. What i did think about doing is before we go on the trip whenever i let her out to use the restroom put her on the tie down in the backyard so maybe that way she will get use to it.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
We had this problem with Petri - on road trips, he'd "hold it" forever and then as soon as we'd stop for the night, he'd find a corner in the hotel!

What we did to get him used to going on the leash was to take him out on the leash rather than release him in the back yard. It took a few days of consistent training and not giving him access to the fenced yard until after he had pottied but he finally figured it out. Still though, he'll only go if he's on a flexi lead attached to his harness (he's such a weird little dog :) But if he can figure it out in a few days, I'm sure that Trinity can catch on much quicker - I mean really, she's got to be more intelligent than my neurotic little chihuahua :)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Prettydobie said:
She doesnt care if i watch her cause most of the time i will be standing outside with her and even now i take her e-collar off when she goes to the restroom so i watch her and she goes fine. The retractables are to thin she would brake them. I use to have a 30 foot training leash that she snapped in half.
I would take her out on her regular leash (6ft or 4ft) for a short walk -even if it's in your back yard - when you would normally let her out to do her business. If she doesn't do it in a reasonable amount of time, bring her in and either kennel her or keep a close eye on her for 15-20 min and then try again. It'll be a pain for a few days until she gets the hang of it, kind of like puppy potty training, but she'll catch on if she has no other choice :) The important thing is that you do not allow her access to the fenced yard until she's done her business.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
duncdobe said:
how do you teach them to flush the toilet???

LOL; sorry couldn't resist!!!
Haha Duncdobe. When you learn how to teach this, teach me so I will have a house of well-bahaved dogs with less clean-up. Of course with my luck Asher will miss the toilet. :jonkel:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I started it yesterday and she used the restroom fine on the tie down in the backyard. Today i'm going to try it in the front yard.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
#1EuroDobe said:
Does anyone know any thing about MAESTRO DI CAPELLA? is it ok to buy a dog from them.
Why don't you first introduce yourself in our introductions section, then start a new thread in the breeder section asking your question there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.