Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Rommel is officially 50 lbs! He will be 5 months old on Sunday, he is getting SO BIG!!! (sniffle, sniffle)

I have a question for all of the really dober-smart people out there though...

Okay, I know it is bad if their hind legs grow to fast, because it can cause laxity in the hips. My question is... is there a point where it is "normal" for their hind end to be a little higher? I have noticed latley that it looks like Rommel's is, and I am not really sure what to do about it.

I am feeding him a quality puppy formula kibble (Solid Gold Hundchen-Flocken) I know that some people say to start mixing in Adult Food, but I am not comfortable doing that. Solid Gold makes a lower protein, lower fat puppy food (Wolf Cub) Should I start feeding him that for a while, or mixing that in with what he is eating now to slow his growth? If so...for how long? I don't know if it makes a difference or not but he is also on SeaMeal, MSM, FlaxSeed Oil, and Vitamin C. Should I cut back on any of those??

Thanks for all of the great advice everyone gives on here.:score:

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
BackInBlack said:
My question is... is there a point where it is "normal" for their hind end to be a little higher? I have noticed latley that it looks like Rommel's is, and I am not really sure what to do about it.
Puppies can go through weird growth stages-it's not unheard of for a doberman puppy to be butt high fora short period of time because of that. Some of them never outgrow it-that's just the way they're made. Only time will tell.

Keep in mind that hip dysplasia is primarily of genetic origin..diet can exacerbate the problem, but the genes have to be present for a dog to become dyplastic.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I agree with Murreydobe's post, but I will also say that IMO your dog doesn't need puppy food, not at 5 months, and I doubt if he ever did, I can remember back before puppy food even existed and people were still raising puppies. Also I never give supplements of any kind to puppies, never have, not in 30 years of raising puppies.

My puppy is 9 months old now. When he came at four months the breeder was feeding him Pro Plan puppy food. I continued with that for about another month, and then switched him to Innova adult, which he's been eating ever since. He gets some other things, like an egg or maybe some yogurt, in the food occasionally, for a treat, occasionally canned dog food for the same reason. But he doesn't get supplements, no flaxseed, vitamin C, or any other vitamins, I think his diet is good, so he doesn't need that. I weighed an measured him the other day, he weighs almost 70 pounds and is 27 1/2 inches tall, looks good, has plenty of energy. He is doing the same thing as Rommel, growing in "pieces". At first his body looked too long and his legs looked too short. Now hos body looks shorter, but he's all legs. It's just growth stages.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I just would like to add, that in the wild after puppies were weened from their mother, they started to eat exactly what the adults did. We used puppy food at first, after awhile I was convinced puppy food is more like rocket fuel for them. Once we switched to an adult food, my puppy was not bouncing off the walls so much...

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
micdobe said:
Also I never give supplements of any kind to puppies, never have, not in 30 years of raising puppies.
Yeah, I never give supplements to puppies. If they're on a good, balanced diet they shouldn't need them.

Razzle came to me at 14 weeks..she was on Pro Plan puppy food. I kept her on that for about a week, then made the transition to Canidae Adult kibble, which she's been on ever since. I've never kept a puppy on puppy food for any extended period of time.

·
Registered
357 Posts
wow.. this is good to know.. cause hubby and i were wondering when to switch jack to adult.. he seems to like the older guys food better and never wants to eat his puppy food.. so i guess after his bag of puppy food is almost gone i will start mixing in adult food :), thanks guys! heh.

[edit] oh and my vet tech said that jack should be switched to large breed puppy, but i wasnt sure what to say to that cause jack isnt really a large breed dog.. but she said it would help slow his growth rate down and help his joints from not growing so fast. ( but i think the adult would do the same thing )

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I agree with Micdobe and Murreydobe.

I don't personally feed puppy food to Doberman puppies. The vet we go to agrees large breed puppies do not require puppy foods if they are fed a high quality diet. Many of those foods that advertise puppy formulas are not quality foods anyway. They are using puppy foods as a marketing tool. Here is a helpful tool to learn about the difference in quality http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=comp-wiz . Check the ingredient list on the kibble. Brands like Science Diet, Pedigree, and Iams are to be avoided.

In fact, sometimes it is harmful to feed large breed puppies puppy food because it encourages fast growth, which can be harmful to Doberman puppies. You should carefully check the protein level of puppy foods being fed to large breed puppies. Mary Jo knows more about this subject. Here is a helpful link: http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/do_i_need_to_use_a_puppy_food.htm

I know at least two show breeders who never feed puppy food to their Doberman puppies at all after they are weaned. They, like me, feed a high quality adult kibble and various meat, cheeses, etc. for variety. One of those breeders and has been breeding over 30 years the other for over 20.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you all so much for the information. It just seems there are so many choices and opinions on what to feed. It seems that most of you do not feed puppy formulas, so I think I will try to slowly switch him over to the adult formula. I really do want to provide the very best for him that I possibly can, I appreciate all of your views and advice, I know that I have alot to learn!

The food I have been feeding him is Solid Gold Hundchen-Flocken.
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=2&code=110

Then they have a large breed formula WolfCub
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=61&code=180

Then these are the adult formulas
Hund-n-Flocken
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=1&code=100
and Wolf King
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=62&code=170

Opinions??

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
damn...I had a funny picture of Duchess half way on the couch with her butt to the camera and she is looking over her shoulder at the camera...We call her a butt model...I was going to post the picture while we were talking about puppy butts lol but I can't find it :( damn

·
Registered
602 Posts
LapDog said:
damn...I had a funny picture of Duchess half way on the couch with her butt to the camera and she is looking over her shoulder at the camera...We call her a butt model...I was going to post the picture while we were talking about puppy butts lol but I can't find it :( damn
Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread but........LapDog something like this, and sorry for the HUGE pic, please make it smaller if you can.:3dbiggrin

·
Registered
953 Posts
This is interesting. I'm feeding Bruno large breed puppy food. DOH! I just bought a bag too....so after this one is done I should switch him from the puppy food?

I don't want him to grow too fast and I certainly hope his food isn't making him grow faster then he's suppose to. Geesh. This is great info. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
LOL Desi, too funny, I tell you, modesty isn't in the dobes breed standard ;)

I agree that I don't feel that the Rommel needs puppyfood, you are on a great high quality kibble, so I don't feel it is a bad or as much "rocket fuel" as feeding a low quality puppy kibble. But he will be best suited to adult food. It will be slower on his growth than any puppy food, and you don't have to worry about it stunting him, he will still get his growth.

Little boy is growing up :)

(fixed the jumbo pic mrdesi)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.