Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want people's opinions on this....

I've been speaking to a man about a female dobe that is beautiful c/d red and around 3 years old. She is good around dogs, cats, and children (rare!), and his wife said he cant keep her. He is willing to give the dog to me, but will not go through the process of donating him to the dobe rescue in town.

My question is, that I would have no problem keeping her and trying to find a home for her, but how big of a risk is this? She has no health records, no clue who the breeder is, etc. If I fostered her until a home was found, do you think my local doberman rescue would list her? I have no clue how the rescues work, but would it be bad for me to take this dog, just to list her for a rescue? Its an ad on craigslist, and I'm afraid for where this pretty girl might get taken to.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
As long as she is spayed I wouldn't think the rescue would have a problem listing her as a referral

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great! here is a pic of her

How long would a girl c/d healthy, 3yo, and with a good temperament last? Most of the dogs at the rescue go pretty quickly, especially females, so I'm hoping she'd have a good chance

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
She's a pretty girl. C/D dogs always go so fast from what I've seen. Especially ones with good temperaments. Good luck in whatever decision you make.

·
Registered
551 Posts
How long would a girl c/d healthy, 3yo, and with a good temperament last? Most of the dogs at the rescue go pretty quickly, especially females, so I'm hoping she'd have a good chance
A cropped and docked Dobe that's good with kids and other dogs would last about an hour in my area. I'm on the approved adopters list for a Dobe rescue, and I've responded to an email about 20 minutes after they sent it, and the dog was already spoken for.

I hope this beautiful girl finds a family who wants her. I'm so sick of people dumping their family members like this.

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
So I want people's opinions on this....

I've been speaking to a man about a female dobe that is beautiful c/d red and around 3 years old. She is good around dogs, cats, and children (rare!), and his wife said he cant keep her. He is willing to give the dog to me, but will not go through the process of donating him to the dobe rescue in town.

My question is, that I would have no problem keeping her and trying to find a home for her, but how big of a risk is this? She has no health records, no clue who the breeder is, etc. If I fostered her until a home was found, do you think my local doberman rescue would list her? I have no clue how the rescues work, but would it be bad for me to take this dog, just to list her for a rescue? Its an ad on craigslist, and I'm afraid for where this pretty girl might get taken to.
great! here is a pic of her

If I were you, I would contact the local Doberman rescue FIRST, and ask them if they would be willing to take this girl, before you commit to anything (many of the Doberman rescues are full right now).

The only thing that concerns me is that you said "He is willing to give the dog to me, but will not go through the process of donating him to the dobe rescue in town." Is he aware that you would want to turn this girl over to rescue or does he think that you would be keeping her?

She is BEAUTIFUL and it is wonderful that she is young, good with cats, kids and other dogs (not "rare" at all :) there are ALLOT of dogs with these qualities that end up in rescue. You would have to talk to the rescue to see how long they think it would be before she was adopted (they may have an approved adopter waiting for a dog just like her). I do think that based on the picture and information that you provided that she would more than likely get adopted rather quickly though.

I would never try to adopt her out on your own though without at least the guidance of your local Doberman rescue. It is a huge responsibility and it takes allot of work to find an excellent, forever home for a dog.

If the person who currently does have her agrees to give her to you, I would have them sign an agreement saying that they have adopted/relinquished her to you, especially if you are going to be the one that will be turning her over to a rescue. That will "protect" all of the parties involved.

Is she spayed? You said that there are no health records so it sounds as though at least a visit to the Vet for vaccinations/titers/rabies may be in order before turning her over to rescue so they don't have to absorb those costs (or it would be nice to give them a donation to cover those costs).

THANK YOU for wanting to help this girl and keep her off of Craigslist :) I see that you are from TN- what rescue are you going to contact?

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She is spayed, and the dog was given to the guy literally a few weeks ago.... Without anything. The other owner had to leave town to an apartment and could not take her, the new guy brought her home, and the wife said no to dogs and that she must go immediately. She is spayed thankfully, and will ask more about her health records immunizations etc tomorrow when I go meet her.

Pinsch of Heaven dobe rescue is who I would be contacting. However, my future roomie (august 1st) wanted to get a dobe girl when we moved to our new house, so I may just foster her for him... I guess foster fail. But this is a hugeeee maybe. We are both going to look at her (me and the future roomie), so we will see what happens.

I will definitely head to the advice of getting full rights to her. That was another concern of mine about trying to rehome her again, however, the guy does not seem too attached and obviously neither does his family.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh and what I meant by rare was that most of the dobes I see are requested for homes without cats and small children (due to dober-hyperness)

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
She is spayed, and the dog was given to the guy literally a few weeks ago.... Without anything. The other owner had to leave town to an apartment and could not take her, the new guy brought her home, and the wife said no to dogs and that she must go immediately. She is spayed thankfully, and will ask more about her health records immunizations etc tomorrow when I go meet her.

Pinsch of Heaven dobe rescue is who I would be contacting. However, my future roomie (august 1st) wanted to get a dobe girl when we moved to our new house, so I may just foster her for him... I guess foster fail. But this is a hugeeee maybe. We are both going to look at her (me and the future roomie), so we will see what happens.

I will definitely head to the advice of getting full rights to her. That was another concern of mine about trying to rehome her again, however, the guy does not seem too attached and obviously neither does his family.
A Pinsch of Heaven is a great rescue- they are small but mighty :) Falllon is good people and I'm sure that if you were to contact her she would do everything she could to help you find this girl a safe, loving and forever home. GOOD LUCK and please keep us updated on what happens after you go and see her today.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I would ask the rescue to evaluate her before listing. You really dont know if what this guy says is true or something is withheld in hopes of getting her a good home. People often are not completely honest when rehoming a dog. If she is so great why does the wife demand he get rid of a 3 yr old girl?!?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Uh oh...missed some posts. Sorry!

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I accidentally talked to guy into keeping her..... They worked through her 'going up stairs' problem today. (The fact that it was trained in one day using positive methods makes me wonder what he did to try and get her up the stairs the first time). He texted me back saying they were gonna try to keep her and would contact me if something came up.... Whatever! I told him to please keep in mind the breed he is getting into, the health problems, and the fact that he has not had her long enough past the 'honeymoon period'. I will not be surprised if he sends me a text next month saying she is driving him insane.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts