Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, DH and I have sold our home and moved to the Cabin. But, DH is still working 4 days (staying 3 nights) at his job until the end of the year when, hopefully, he will retire. Anyway, I will be going down with him every few weeks because there is still things I need to do in the old area plus have friends I want to continue to see. Also, as we are doing major renovations on the Cabin, I will need to get away from the construction from time to time. DH is staying at a Best Western Plus which is pet friendly. We will be requesting a room on the first floor (the hotel only has 2 floors) that has a door which opens to the outside and there is a really nice field to take Baron out to walk on a long leash to do his business. My question is about leaving him in the room for about 1/2 hour in the morning to go to breakfast in the hotel before taking DH to work? We have never stayed at a hotel with any of our dogs so I am a little nervous as to what to do. I have a Noz2Noz soft crate which I will be taking along and have been practicing letting him in it while I go outside or to the lower level and he has been fine. That is most likely the only time I would be leaving him alone because if I need to do anything else during the day that I cannot take him with me, I will be leaving him at his groomer which he has been going to for about 2 years so he is familiar there. Thanks in advance for responses.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I always leave the TV on for my dogs, stick the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door, and go eat in peace. The group I have all stay crated happily.

My crew would have a total FIT, and the give the maids a real scare if they came in to clean while I was away. The TV really helps drown out any hallway noises from other guests.

* Oh! I always stick the garbage can up high as well to keep Rexy from dumpster diving during our stay. (Don't know if Baron eats stuff from the garbage but just in case....)

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always leave the TV on for my dogs, stick the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door, and go eat in peace. The group I have all stay crated happily.

My crew would have a total FIT, and the give the maids a real scare if they came in to clean while I was away. The TV really helps drown out any hallway noises from other guests.

* Oh! I always stick the garbage can up high as well to keep Rexy from dumpster diving during our stay. (Don't know if Baron eats stuff from the garbage but just in case....)
Thanks Ellen. That is what the Lobby told us to do. Put the sign on the door and also tell them at the Lobby not to have anyone go in the room. Good idea about the TV!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Dont rake me over the coals, but whenever I go to a hotel and have to leave my girl in the room for a bit, I bring a muzzle with us. She is very alertive to bangs, noises and I dont wish for her to disturb anyone or get complaints, so I pull out the muzzle. She doesnt mind it and it also gives me piece of mind that if housekieeping or someone does come in unexpectedly, no one will get bit. I try to never leave it on very long though as I try to take her as many places as I can.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
A crate would be the best solution if you leave Baron. If you leave him free he might get scared that you aren't coming back and damage something. Make sure no one enters the room.

Or, if you want just breakfast have it brought to your room and eat with Baron. Or, if it's cool enough leave him in the car for the little bit of time you are eating breakfast.

When we were doing overnighters for agility, I would pick up dinner and bring it back to my room.

You sound like you're going to enjoy your retirement with the hubby and Baron.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I stayed in a hotel over Christmas for a month with my two boys, who never wreck anything in the house and whom I have travelled with many times before.

I left them in the room whole we went to breakfast one day and rupert found a tiny whole that was in the carpet and ha a loose thread. He pulled on the piece of wool like spaghetti and managed to make the tiny little whole info...a much more noticeable hole! :eek: A little furniture re-arranging sorted it out though!!

I would either reconmended getting room service or crating, better safe than sorry I'd say!

·
Super Moderator
18,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A crate would be the best solution if you leave Baron. If you leave him free he might get scared that you aren't coming back and damage something. Make sure no one enters the room.

Or, if you want just breakfast have it brought to your room and eat with Baron. Or, if it's cool enough leave him in the car for the little bit of time you are eating breakfast.

When we were doing overnighters for agility, I would pick up dinner and bring it back to my room.

You sound like you're going to enjoy your retirement with the hubby and Baron.
Yes, I am definitely going to crate him in the soft crate. The car thing was another idea but then I would be worried someone would break in the car! The Best Western DH is staying is very accommodating so I think we will be OK leaving him in the crate while we have breakfast (the breakfast buffet comes free with the room so DH cannot miss out on that!). He is not a barker or whiner but like Ellen's idea about leaving the TV on.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I second the tv and maybe a t shirt or something of yours.

Here's my latest hotel stay. We went to visit my sister for Christmas and she lives in a small house. Two Dobes were fine there in the past but three, especially one being a puppy, was just too much so I rented a hotel room about two minutes away from my sis. We were going to take turns going back every hour and a half to check up on the guys and take them out, rotating one dog back and forth to sis'. Of course the hotel had my home number on the registration and I left my cell for an emergency. Staff change and the desk clerk kept my cell and didn't enter it in their computer. When we went back after the first hour and a half, the day manager said my two had started howling right after we left and kept it up almost the entire time. Barking is bad enough but true Doberman howling is pretty intense. The staff said they could hear Joe and Charley all the way down to the front desk. I guess another guest had dogs that chimed in with my two. The staff were afraid to go into the room.

We probably aren't welcome at Days Inn any more.

I really like La Quina Inns for pet friendly hotels.

·
Super Moderator
21,990 Posts
Most of the places I've stayed with Shanoa have had a policy that dogs absolutely must not be left in the room alone, so I've never done it. Shanoa would be bad, anyway! I think crating with the do not disturb sign would be good. Can you leave Baron with a bully stick or stuffed Kong or something to occupy him for that time?

·
Beam Me Up, Scotty
189 Posts
I've only ever had to leave Gunnar in the room by himself once to get breakfast. I packed some raw hide bones and just gave him one before I left, to keep him occupied. The Animal Planet works wonders while you're away too! I cam back to him lounged in front of the TV with his bone :)

·
Super Moderator
18,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most of the places I've stayed with Shanoa have had a policy that dogs absolutely must not be left in the room alone, so I've never done it. Shanoa would be bad, anyway! I think crating with the do not disturb sign would be good. Can you leave Baron with a bully stick or stuffed Kong or something to occupy him for that time?
Yes, I will give him a stuff Kong in his crate. It most likely won't be more than a 1/2 hour. Also, we will there Monday night so he will be a little familiar with the room in the morning. Knowing me, I will wolf my breakfast down and go back to the room quickly the first time! I think the room they are giving us is just a few steps away from the restaurant. Anyway, it will be an adventure!

·
#1 Stunner
464 Posts
We had to stay in a hotel for a few nights with Java last weekend. There were two times where he had to be alone for a couple hours, so I brought his wire crate with blankets and filled Kongs, put up the do not disturb sign and he was perfectly fine. I stood out in the hallway for a while, probably alarming the maids, to make sure that there wouldn't be any crazy sounds from within, but not a peep. He is rarely crated at home, so I was pretty pleased with how he did.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
* Not to worry you, but Rexy's first dog show weekend in Georgia was interesting! He came from rescue with severe separation anxiety and hated to be crated. Two yrs later, he was so much better that I could travel with him, etc.

Well- the first time I tried him in a soft crate (Canine Camper) at a hotel to go to dinner next door with friends. I carefully left the TV on, had him happily snuggled with his blankie in his crate and left.

After dinner, I opened my hotel door to find REXY standing there wagging his nubbin so happily!! He had slit the front screen of the crate and popped out to be loose in the room. He obviously had slept on the bed as the covers were rustled up. Thus, he had to stay in the car for further meals during that weekend!

Thank goodness that was a one time deal and he never came out of a soft crate again. I also got wise to leaving a sheet over it, asking someone to watch him even if I had to just run to the restroom at a show venue. He is a very determined boy when he wants something!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Weather permitting, whenever we eat breakfast out, we go someplace like Denny's where we can park right in front of the table we eat at. :D

In my case however, Stormy would probably howl and bark and bloody up everything.......
^^^^ Same here with Amy.

Amy will whine 24/7 for me, once after surgery Vets and staff found this out...while on IV and crated in the very back of the clinic...she was heard crying, at the front desk.
Only stopped if someone went in to pet her for a few minutes, but they couldn't accomodate attending to her, for every waking second.
Needless to say, Amy got discharged early, without an additional bag of IV fluids....LOL...having my socks and wife's old nighty, was to no avail.

When eating out, we try and find a restraunt with seating arrangements, that lets us view our vehicle...out the window.

dax0402
If your dobe is good in a crate, the experience may be a non-issue...of barking.
Congrats on the retirement and cabin home plans...reno stuff and design ideas, always interests me.
Take lots of photos, of the work underway...always nice to have the progress recorded, as you guys plan for quieter times, without the grunge of daily work schedules.

·
Super Moderator
18,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^^^ Same here with Amy.

Amy will whine 24/7 for me, once after surgery Vets and staff found this out...while on IV and crated in the very back of the clinic...she was heard crying, at the front desk.
Only stopped if someone went in to pet her for a few minutes, but they couldn't accomodate attending to her, for every waking second.
Needless to say, Amy got discharged early, without an additional bag of IV fluids....LOL...having my socks and wife's old nighty, was to no avail.

When eating out, we try and find a restraunt with seating arrangements, that lets us view our vehicle...out the window.

dax0402
If your dobe is good in a crate, the experience may be a non-issue...of barking.
Congrats on the retirement and cabin home plans...reno stuff and design ideas, always interests me.
Take lots of photos, of the work underway...always nice to have the progress recorded, as you guys plan for quieter times, without the grunge of daily work schedules.
Thanks. I plan on taking lots of photos. Amish are doing the work so will have to wait until the are gone! Although he is not crated anymore, he was always very well behaved in the crate so I am hoping for a good experience.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
I am sure I will retire by age 90, in a tent under a bridge somewhere, so yes Dax, post lots of pics so I can live vicariously....:D

Beaumont, for whatever reason, I have never had a dog to the vets that they didn't want to discharge early, lol, and I always heard them when the vet called with his update..

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you have any issues even after all of the great reccomendations you've been given, you might consider using an all natural product called Rescue Remedy. It helps to alleviate stress and anxiety.

I have given it to my senior cat a couple of times right before going to the groomer to have mats removed. We also gave it to our pup this weekend right before the 6 hour drive home after having her ears cropped. She did fine w/o it during the 6 hour drive to the vet, but I was a little worried about her on the way home, not knowing how much pain she was in and if she was stressed out by the whole ordeal. She did great! She was in her crate the whole time (aside from one pit stop) and we didn't hear a peep out of her. It doesn't make them act all drugged or anything either, just helps them relax a little.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts