Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I have a 17 week old female red dobie who is a wonderful puppy. She weighs around 40 lbs and is all legs. I've been taking her to a puppy socialization class every Saturday for the last month and a half. The pen in which they play is set up on a hard surface, and I've noticed she has some serious issues gaining traction. While all the other puppies are playing perfectly fine, she is slipping and sliding all over the place. She has tried to jump a few times and once she landed horribly. We have an appt with a vet next week, but I guess my question is....at this age, can they tell if they will have any issues with their hips? I only ask because she was trying to run after a lab puppy today and both her back legs went out backwards, and she had a real hard time getting up. Also, when she stands, her legs are perfectly straight, but when she was walking earlier, I've noticed that her front paws go inwards. They aren't pointed inward when standing, only when walking. Is that something that might correct itself or will it be permanent? Thanks everyone for any responses! Again, we have an appt at the vet, but I just wanted to get some advice from fellow doberman owners.

·
Still a Pup
2,733 Posts
Photos? That would help. I hope your girl is alright.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Glad you're getting her seen by a vet. An answer to your question about hips..I have seen it diagnosed as severe cases at this age. They can't give a "clear" reading though, as they're still developing. But I've seen 5 month olds in bad shape.
As for hard surfaces...Nina has always had a hard time with them, but her hips are fine. She never splayed out like that, but she certainly struggles on many of those indoor play surfaces.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts