Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from the 'Gaurd' thread but thought this might get me more replys :) and i dont wanna Hijack the other thread
'Would Tazz protect me or the house from a danger/intruder... He is easily one of the Softest dogs i know & wouldnt hurt a fly, Even when other dogs bully him for toys, he just runs away doesnt get aggressive, (Tazz is 18months, & 96lbs)
When we are in the house, He will bark at people outside, or any dogs he hears barking (even on the telly, & in his sleep) But when outside, he really doesnt seem to care about anyone/anything, he just bounds around happily & doesnt mind letting me go out of sight for a short while..
The only thing hes ever done (not even sure if it was aggressively) is one time we left the front door open (trust him not to leave the house) while we were shifting stuff into the garage, & the postman walked up & threw letters into the house, Tazz shot out of the front room as soon as he saw him. & scared the hell out of the postman! i was keeping an eye on Tazz anyway so managed to grab him before he got to the door, * i dont know what his intentions were, there was no growling or anything.. & he has never shown any 'protective' positions to anyone..
What do you guys think? is he just not old/mature enough, or believes i am the 'topdog' & can take care of myself.. I live in (what can be) quite a rough area, & it would be a nice comfort to know that he would help out should any situation arise.. + I have thought about getting him protection trained, So my OH can take him out in the evenin with our daughter & not be worried, (as she doesnt like my area one bit!!) Any oppinions be appreciated thanks!

Also had few ppl tell me differant things on 'adulthood' for Dobes, At what age do they stop growing? Physically & mentally.. & d'you think he'll get much bigger/ heavier/bulkier than he is now at 18months? Figure most of you owning dobes for awhile probs the best ppl to get correct answers from. Cheers :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also wondering (here in the UK) he is 'Liver & Tan' is that the same as Red & tan in the US? cause i never see any sections for Liver & tan Dobes....
Just curious if its a area thing or not... :)

·
Registered
986 Posts
OK RDT, I'll chime in with my opinions. First of all "red" and "liver" are the same. Generally speaking, dobies tend to stop growing "up" (vertically) by about 2 years old. After that, they may tend to fill out (horizontally) a little. Being a very intelligent breed, I'm not sure they ever stop growing mentally, although like people, they need intellectual stimulation. As for the guarding, I wouldn't confuse a lack of dog aggression with softness. That is a big plus for Tazz and you! And as for not showing any "protective positions" well, I'm guessing he's never actually felt threatened, or felt that his family was truly threatened. That being said, you mentioned that he scared and chased the postman when he came into the house uninvited. That sounds protective to me and he reacted appropriately! Bottom line, Tazz sounds like a fine, easy-going dobie and by that I don't mean wimpy. Just because he's not OFFENSIVE doesn't mean he won't be DEFENSIVE when he NEEDS to be. As for protection training, I would save my money. Dobies are naturally protective when they detect a real threat. They just don't walk around w/an aggressive attitude pretending to be a tough guy looking for a fight...they'd rather play! Also, remember Tazz is not really an adult yet as they are slow to mature mentally (some say 2 years old but mine have always taken longer---at LEAST 3 years--) before I notice a definite transition into maturity, which is really confidence more than anything. JMHO.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah thought they were the same :) Thanks for your opinion, was pretty much what i was thinking, (didnt mean they stop maturing mentally, more like when they get to 'adult' maturity) Anyway was helpful Thanks :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree - the mailman wasn't really a threat, and he probably knew that.

At 18 months and 96 lb, he shouldn't get much bigger. 88 lb is the average for a grown male.

I wouldn't worry about size - dobes that are of the breed description size are way more agile than oversized.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Java at 17 months is my lapdog, but that doesn't mean she isn't capable of producing a low threatening growl when there's an 'intruder' (ie. chipmunk, deer) on the front lawn. She'll flop herself onto anyone's lap at the dog park, but if a 'stranger' comes into the house (someone she has never seen before), she waits for our cue to see if this new person is 'ok'.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
As most people have said most dobes will be o.k. out and about but will protect what is their "pack and territory"( perfectly normal dobe behaviour)when they sense a threat,and he still has to mature a little more yet anyway at 18 months he is still a pup,just a bigger one than when he was 12 weeks old!!!:)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
My vet always says they don't start to grow a brain till they are at least 2. Taxx may fill out a bit more, but i doubt will get any taller. I also would't go for the guard dog training. As everyone else has said they are naturally protective.

On Monday at OB, a Rott (about a year/ year and a half and completely out of its owners control) lunged at me and Molly - she is my one and a half year old. She was more than ready to teach him a lesson. She got all hedgehog and actually showed teeth with her snarls. We have only had her since July and already she is protective of me. after that any time that rott looked in our direction her hackles went up and she gave him a warning snarl. later Hubby and apollo were on the other side of the room when the rott lunged at them. She about dragged me across the floor she was so worked up. (I think she may have been more upset that he went after apollo than me ;))

dont worry. If you need help Tazz will be there, she just isn't a loaded gun on four legs

cc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts