Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to my relationship ending I am now in the position of moving out of my home into a rental that will allow dogs, dobes in particular.

I've been online everyday and am finding that most places are not pet friendly. The ones that are...well...they are not an option.

For the Durham Region members here.....if you are renting, I have a few questions for you...

Did you find it difficult to find a place that would accept your dobe?
How did you go about finding a place?
Were you able to negotiate with you landlord in order to bring your dobe? (from non pet friendly to okay I will allow your dog here)

This is all new to me as I have always owned my home, but I am not in the position to buy right now.

I will NOT give up my dog, so this has been very stressful for me as of all the places I have found (online) are ones that will not accept dogs.

I have until March 1st but am anxious to move as soon as possible!

It's just my son,myself, and my Zeuser.

Any advice you could give me would really help...thank you so much!

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,606 Posts
Good luck on your search. I live in Durham but do not currently rent. When I did rent we didn't have Coco. I think if you had the chance to rent a townhouse you would probably have a better chance of having your dog instead of a high rise apartment. A townhouse would also have a little yard maybe. Or if you could rent a house and the owners met your dog maybe they would feel better. If I hear of anywhere that is dog friendly I will let you know. :butfly:

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
Due to my relationship ending I am now in the position of moving out of my home into a rental that will allow dogs, dobes in particular.

I've been online everyday and am finding that most places are not pet friendly. The ones that are...well...they are not an option.

For the Durham Region members here.....if you are renting, I have a few questions for you...

Did you find it difficult to find a place that would accept your dobe?
How did you go about finding a place?
Were you able to negotiate with you landlord in order to bring your dobe? (from non pet friendly to okay I will allow your dog here)

This is all new to me as I have always owned my home, but I am not in the position to buy right now.

I will NOT give up my dog, so this has been very stressful for me as of all the places I have found (online) are ones that will not accept dogs.

I have until March 1st but am anxious to move as soon as possible!

It's just my son,myself, and my Zeuser.

Any advice you could give me would really help...thank you so much!
Did you mean to say will allow or will not?

I have never been in that situation, so I am not sure how you would go about handling it, and I do not know the possibility of or cost of, but would renting a house be a possibility? Perhaps the extra room might lend an extra advantage to the dog situation, as most apartments exclude dogs due to this reason and the fear the dog will destroy the small area. My daughter went through this issue with cats and the landlords being afraid her cats would destroy curtains and walls with their claws.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I have had to do this many times in the past. This is how I handled it and I never was turned down.

I would call the places that do not say "no pets". I then would talk to them for awhile, have a nice conversation. Then go see the place, have your dog in the vehicle. Once they meet you and you like the place. Tell them you have a dog, ask if they would like to meet him. Yes this can be a bit of a waste of time, but I find it's easy for people to tell you no over the phone. Once they meet you and you make a good impression I find they warm up to having a pet. Do a little o.b. tell them what a wonderful responsible owner you are and hopefully you are in. Tell them you will put down a damage deposit to.

PM me your details if you like, what your looking for, how much, how far, etc. I have a lot of contacts and might be able to help.

·
memories
1,756 Posts
I'm sorry for the situation you're in. It will work out, you know - especially with the amount of determination you have. I'm keeping you in my thoughts.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
This board is awesome.

I am definitely not interested in a highrise or apartment building. No way no how.

@okie dobie...what I prefer is a main floor of house or a large walkout basement apartment. Either 2 or 3 bedroom. Good advice about meeting potential landlords then spring the dog on them. lol Zeus loves everyone so I know he will win over anyone we meet. Preferrably some place which is no more than 1200/mth inc utilities. Prefer North Oshawa as well.

This is so daunting for me as I have always owned my homes....new territory for me, new start. It's going to be a transition but as long as my son and dog are with me then I will be fine.

Thank you thank you thank you all for helping me during this difficult time.

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,606 Posts
I was guessing you were thinking of north Oshawa. Of course in the south end they would let you have pets but you would much prefer not to live down there :eek11:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
A tip from someone who has been in search recently...I called EVERYONE even if they said no pets and I talked to them...some people hung up on me but I had a few listen and were willing to meet Zac and give us a trial period to prove he was a good dog and I was a responsible owner. I have friends who have done this as well and we were all successful. Some people just don't want people who are going to let their dogs pee on the floor, bark 100% of the time and owners who don't care.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
382 Posts
I agree with Oki-Dobie's advice. If you can get letters from your current neighbours stating that your dog has never been an issue(barking, etc) and that you are a responsible owner, that can be a big help. Get a letter from your vet too saying that your dog is well behaved, and bring along any training certificates that you have for him. I rent too(Orangeville area) so I feel your pain! I have to move in May and I'm already getting a little nervous and starting to look early.

Another thing I will mention that you may not be aware of is that in Ontario, under the landlord-tenant act, no landlord is legally able to forbid you from having a pet, or refusing to rent to you because you have one. (Of course they can refuse to rent to you and say it's for some other reason, but technically they aren't allowed to turn you away because of a pet). Buildings that are designated as pet-free buildings are another story I believe. Anyways just something to be aware of - if you get really stuck you can always just choose to not disclose the fact that you have a dog. Not the ideal situation if you want to be on good terms with your landlord, but just be aware that you do have that option.

Good luck with the search!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I went to see two places today and I'm feeling more optimistic as both ads initially said no pets. Once they met me they reconsidered. :)

I'm leaning towards one of them.....we'll see...still looking though as it wasn't in the area we prefer. But i realize and accept I will have to compromise on a few things, that I won't get everything I want in one place.

Thanks to everyone for your words of wisdom....they are helping BIGTIME! Hugs to you all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts