Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you use when administering sub-q for hydrating a pup? ringers lactate?saline?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Lactated ringer is all we use for hydrating any age dog/cat where I work :) We rarely use saline.

Reactions: gatehouse

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
NO saline, it stings and shouldnt go SQ

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Ringers has potassium to keep everything hydrated. Its practically made of saline in it...

I've used saline subq on goats and they bounce back fine. In IV fluids saline is primarily used.

Good luck with the baby.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
and a tip, if you can get a butterfly extension, it works really well for babies :) the needle is much smaller and its easier to control than a straight needle

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone! I always had the l.ringer but last clean up we tossed it, expired (it had been used).....and ofcourse i never replaced it. Aghghghgg!!!!!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Ringers are also great for cleaning up blood, lifts it right up off the dog hair and pulls it from fabrics :) just a btw

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
thanks everyone! I always had the l.ringer but last clean up we tossed it, expired (it had been used).....and ofcourse i never replaced it. Aghghghgg!!!!!
You don't have an emergency on your hands, do you?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Hydrogen Peroxide is great for that too.
This is true, i've always had better luck with ringers at work though, especially when its dried on dog hair versus clothes.

Is there a specific way its most effective or do we maybe just have crappy peroxide? lol

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
nothing that tube feeding 3 pups every two hours won't solve:-( they are fine, but small and i hate tube feeding!! they're gaining so that's good.
Oof, sorry, I hate tube feedings too, scares the crapola outta me.

Hope everyone sorts out soon and things are easier on all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts