Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Rompin Dobe
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a beautiful 9 week old female doberman named Sumbi and I want to get her ears cropped.
I took her to the vet to get an estimate for the cost of the cropping and the vet said she had "heavy ears". Basically she was saying her ears may or may not stand up because of how low the ears were sagging (even if we did everything right for the cropping). I really want her ears cropped, but I dont want to put my dog through the stress if her ears may or may not stand up.
Anyone else hear about this problem? Or have any advice?

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
My advice is to make sure your vet knows what they're doing. Get pictures of past "work," ask for referrals. Cropping is an art and just because a vet can do it doesn't mean that they should. I would try contacting reputable breeders in your area and ask them who they take their dogs to.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
You definitely need to find an experienced vet for cropping...not all vets who do crops necessarily do a good job. Below is a thread for recommended vets who are known to do a nice crop. I know there are a couple of vets listed in Florida. A bad/poorly done crop can absolutely ruin the look of a Doberman and cannot always be corrected. It's best to get it done properly by someone experienced than to risk a bad crop.

http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/30612-recommended-vets-who-crop-ears.html

Jan

Reactions: LindaH

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Actually, I've had a dog whose ear leathers were too heavy to ever have his ears stand. Eventually I wound up having surgical correction (stringing) done to them. I don't regret cropping him, nor do I regret doing what was a very minor, minimally invasive "fix" to get the ears to stand.

But this is an issue that has to be considered, I think thick ear leather is much more difficult to work with than thin ear leather. I'd talk to an EXPERIENCED ear cropping vet who's an actual artist at it, like Leigh McBride, and see what she has to say about it. I can only echo what the others have said-there are more vets who crop ears than there are vets who crop ears WELL.

·
The Rompin Dobe
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Vet I am taking her to is Dr. Jennifer Fortune in Niceville, FL. I heard about her on this board before I had a membership here. She has shown me pictures of her work. I assume she knows what she is doing. She has owned a doberman herself. Any extra info on her would be awesome!
As far as the "stringing" procedure, is this something common? I have never heard of this before.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I've seen her work. I would go to Dr. McBride.

The Vet I am taking her to is Dr. Jennifer Fortune in Niceville, FL. I heard about her on this board before I had a membership here. She has shown me pictures of her work. I assume she knows what she is doing. She has owned a doberman herself. Any extra info on her would be awesome!
As far as the "stringing" procedure, is this something common? I have never heard of this before.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would certainly not go for the longer "show" crop with this situation. My vet who is in Valdosta, Ga is a little closer, but not a great deal closer. He does the moderate length "pet" crop which is easier to get to stand.

Dr. Earl Janey
Nortside Animal Hospital
3398 N. Valdosta Rd.
Valdosta, Ga 31602

Hopefully you can find a vet closer to you that is good and not have to drive 5 (Valdosta) to 6 (Wildwood) to see a vet. With Mobil so close there should be one in your area. Your breeder may be able to give you some hints. All of mine seem to have battled the opposite problem - thin ears.

·
The Rompin Dobe
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What was the average cost for Dr. Mcbride to crop the ears? The niceville clinic estimated me at about $600. Did she do terrible work or was it just not "up to par" with Dr. Mcbrides?:confused:

·
The Rompin Dobe
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hopefully you can find a vet closer to you that is good and not have to drive 5 (Valdosta) to 6 (Wildwood) to see a vet. With Mobil so close there should be one in your area. Your breeder may be able to give you some hints. All of mine seem to have battled the opposite problem - thin ears.
The long drive is exactly what I was trying to avoid. I am willing if I need to but would like to avoid it if possible. That just seems like so much stress on the dog to be in the car 12+ hours with surgery, then the check ups would be another 12+ hours again.

The crop I am going for is the short crop, so hopefully that may help them stand. She is just a member of the family so she wont be shown or bred. I still want to go to a vet who understands the "art" of ear cropping.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I'm not sure what Dr. McBride charges. I would call her. Dr. Fortune isn't terrible. Some vets are croppers and some are artists. Dr. McBride falls into the artist category. She cleans up the tragus too (lower ear).

Here are some pics from the gallery:
http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-related-chat/12670-opinion-examples-good-looking-crops.html

http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/47266-recommended-cropping-vets.html

What was the average cost for Dr. Mcbride to crop the ears? The niceville clinic estimated me at about $600. Did she do terrible work or was it just not "up to par" with Dr. Mcbrides?:confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts