Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do you interact/play/train/ etc with your puppy before nap time?

I have been trying to spend more and more time with Cadence before putting her in her "bedroom" for a nap but it seems like the longer she is out playing, the meaner she gets? Well, not mean but mouthy and unruly- doesnt listen well and gets much more hyper the longer she is out. I feel bad putting her in her crate/xpen area so much and need your opinions/experience. (She is currently 13 weeks old)
She is in there, usually napping 1-2 hours at a time then when she wakes up she and I play/train/ etc for at least 2 hours but she is being very naughty after the first hour :( Please help/give me some advice and tips :thanx:

Reactions: Nubis'sDad

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Diesel gets very mouthy and becomes a brat when he gets really tired. He's always been this way since I got him and he's 6 months now. I always go at his pace though. When he seems tired I give him his blankie and he takes it and sucks on it and goes to sleep. I don't have set nap times for him but when he was younger he always slept one nap in the morning one in the afternoon and then bedtime was 8. The naps were between 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

She's still very young so I wouldn't push her too hard. If she's tired let her take a break and relax or give her a little quiet time. Maybe not a nap just some time for her to relax on her own and calm down. Diesels problem is he doesn't want to miss out on anything so he'll fight sleeping when I know he's tired because he's trying to eat my arm :rolleyesww: just remember she just a baby so it might be too much. As she gets older you'll be able to play and train more. Diesel doesn't sleep much now during the day he takes one big nap during the day and then it's go, go, go. He relaxes some too now though.

Training I keep very short no more then 10-15 minutes a couple times a day. For her I'd maybe do 5 minutes. Everything else is up to him. We also take walks during the day and have play dates so he gets pretty tired.

·
Registered
416 Posts
When Duke is tired, he starts to circle the room and has severe ADD as he's knocking things over, chewing on every damn thing, or whines A LOT. We know it's nap time and in the crate he goes.

When we're home on the weekends, I know he needs at least 2, maybe three naps during the day. During the weekdays, I'm at work and he's in the crate for 4 hours at a time. In between is just automatic nap time or watching TV time which I leave on for him.

After doggy daycare or fun at the dog park, Duke will also seem to be super hyper when he gets home. But as soon as he's in the crate, it's lights out with eyes half open in dreamland.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My problem is that I feel guilty and I feel like I put her in her bedroom too much ?? We do keep training sessions short and play sessions longer but I feel like I'm constantly putting her away to chill out or nap.....

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
How many times would you say you put her in there? If she's just going in there to sleep its fine. It's not like your full blown ignoring her.

I never crated Diesel for his naps. He's only crated when we leave so it's hard for me to really say what's too much but it doesn't seem like she's in there all day long.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She goes in probably 6 times a day. We play for a few hr then I put her in there to chill. She's in there from 30 min to 2 hr if she is sleeping. Then she's with me for a few hr and repeat.

·
Super Moderator
21,910 Posts

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tip!! Today has been wonderful :) she is learning "chill" I think we were just getting a little stir crazy bc it has rained for the past 3 days straight here :p Thank goodness for tile floors and indoor fetch

·
Registered
44 Posts
All my dogs including my 5month old doberman start jumping around an off eachother when i grab the food bowls. I usually use a FIRM "Hey" an they all go into a crawl position an wag it off:p.....Or if ones not listening wich is common they get the finger (point at them an use a FIRM "hey")

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Overstimulated, too much play, too long, too tired, brings the nasties today. Too much is always a guarantee for this behavior.

I can't play that long. If I do I become tired too.

I can't work that long. If I do I become tired too.

Then the crab comes out to play. I've had it, and I can't take no more. Don't know what to do, because I'm tired, but this still goes on and on.

Receipe for a disaster. Just cool the time length and you will see great improvement.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Congrats on the pup.
Lots of good input, an overtired pup is the worst and sometimes bad habits are born.
When Nubis was a very small pup, we basically had him on a time spreadsheet. It was great for our adjustment to the ball of fury.
I can tell you, when devil hour arrives late at night, its time for Nubis to crash, because everything he is not allowed to do, he will do and I swear his eyes glow red.

Reactions: melbrod and Ruthie

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
My pup only went into a crate, when family was at jobs & son in highschool....left alone 1to 4 hours.

Mybe I tolerate more, but I would never think of putting a pup to sleep...when one of us humans was home and about.
Unless I was taking a nap on the couch, then pup sleeps with this Dad.
- our dog just fell asleep, on its own schedule...throughout the day / we like the dober awake and hanging out with family, when we are around
- I want to bond & train my pup through much fun play, never considered "forced/scheduled time table" for sleep time & will still pass, when next pup arrives.

·
#1 Stunner
464 Posts
I don't really push Java in terms of training or play, so truly I don't even know what his threshold looks like. Every 2-3 hours, we do something. It may be a 10 minute training session, or a 15 minute walk, or a romp around the backyard, or playing tennis ball, or working on his frisbee drive and catching rollers (no jumping whatsoever, don't worry folks, I know he's way too young :)). I like to stop it while things are still going well rather than pushing him into exhaustion or frustration, end on a high note. And then for the next couple hours he does his own thing, which is usually napping on the couch or his bed, playing with Violet, chewing a bone, snuggling with me. He's never been crated when we were home except for rare occasions...vacuuming (he's used to that now though and stays out), training Violet and it's yucky outside so he can't spend a few minutes alone in the backyard, I'm on the phone and he's trying to have loud zoomies, etc. He's been in the crate for maybe an hour total when we were home since he was 10 weeks old. It sounds like some good advice has been given here, that's just my experience with training/playing/downtime/crating. :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
I let my puppy determine the pace. Usually she is full-blown crazy and naughty for the first 1-2 hours she is awake. Then she takes a nap. There is usually no way I can wake her to play again because she is that darn tired. She naps for 45 minutes to 2 hours, and then is up and dober-shark for another hour or two. The most she stays up without a nap is about 3 hours. She is also almost 9 weeks old, so I don't have a full "pattern" of what she is like. I think with a puppy this young, it would be cruel for me to determine when her naps are. She wouldn't understand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts