Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get a breeder's perspective on selling a puppy to a home with small children. We just recently had a baby, and the thought of "where will we get our next dog?" has been on my mind since we found out we were expecting. We have several years to go before we even begin to worry about it, but it has crossed my mind and I'm curious. I prefer getting a puppy to another rescue dog when my children are small. I'd also like for my kids to participate in obedience classes and stuff with the new dog. But I can see how a breeder would be leery of placing a puppy in a home with young kids.

Like I said, we have 4 dogs right now, and are no where near purchasing a puppy anytime in the near future. This will likely be 6 or so years down the road. So we'd have a child who was about 7, and hopefully one just a little younger by then.

Pure curiosity. Thanks in advance for your honest answers. :)

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
so much depends on the prospective owners themselves......

How dogwise they are and how kid to dog, dog to kid wise they are too.

certain homes can handle it all well and with ease...................

if a pup or dog is a good candidate/suitable for the home too..........

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've talked to tons and tons of breeder and never had anyone who didn't want to sell me a puppy because of our toddler son. I've never talked to US breeders though, mostly European and some Asian. But they were definitely reputable.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to say (totally unrelated), I am so impressed with how my dogs have adjusted to a little baby in the house. Granted, we don't leave much opportunity for an accident to happen. But they've all been great with him. We do have some great dogs. Protective, very careful, and tolerant!

We will put a lot of thought into the next dog we get. It may even be more appropriate to get a smaller dog that will be more easily controlled for him to start out doing obedience and stuff with. I just want to teach him how to properly take care of and train a dog, plus give him some responsibility. :) Maybe he'll have a puny dog and I'll have the doberman for myself.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I start off saying No, to someone who calls and has really little kids (under 5). There are very few families that have one of our dogs AND small kids. I place a lot of weight on how the parents react to their kids (running rampant through our home, poking at dogs, pulling ears, whining) and also how the kids treat their parents. Frankly if you can't control your 3 or 4 year old then I wouldn't think you could control a small puppy and I don't want to place my puppy in a situation where it's terrorized by some spoiled child who doesn't listen to their parents.....

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fair enough. Thanks for your response, gatehouse. My dogs have been tortured by their fair share of friends and families' little kids! Poor things! I can totally understand where that would be a concern for you.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
To me it really really depends on the individual family AND the individual puppy. If they have not had Dobermans or another similar large breed I would say no. I have sold to families with toddlers successfully - but they all had had Dobermans previously.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
To me it really really depends on the individual family AND the individual puppy. If they have not had Dobermans or another similar large breed I would say no. I have sold to families with toddlers successfully - but they all had had Dobermans previously.
I agree. I did a meet and greet for a breeder friend with a family who had a toddler. At one point the 2 year old bonked one of the Vizslas on the nose with a domino and the mother's reaction cinched the deal for me. She was fantastic :) handled it appropriately and I'd have sold them a dog in a heartbeat. I like to see how the parents are with dogs around the children also as well as how they interact with the dogs themselves.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the norm on today's society. I'd say get to know a breeder, build a relationship before you start "looking" to buy, etc.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Colleen, so it would be your preference that someone contact you several years before looking to buy? I definitely don't want to be a pest and don't know what I'd say to one at this point, since it is several years down the road. Right now, I have 4 dogs and one baby - that is PLENTY as far as I am concerned for the time being! View attachment 15819

I'm in CO. I would probably start by contacting Gallant, and see what/who they recommend as far as local breeders. I do have several breeders who I admire from afar, but am unsure if they'd be willing to sell a pup to someone across the country.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Colleen, so it would be your preference that someone contact you several years before looking to buy? I definitely don't want to be a pest and don't know what I'd say to one at this point, since it is several years down the road..
When I was breeding, I wouldn't have taken anyone the least bit seriously if they told me it would be years down the line before they'd be ready for a puppy. I'd kinda consider them lookie-lous and pretty much a waste of time.
I know a lot of long term breeders who agree with me about this, they really want to talk to people who are ready or very close to being ready-too much can change about puppy buyer's lives, etc. in a blink of an eye.

Along the same lines, I'd never put my eggs into one basket with any breeder for any length of time either, in terms of thinking they'll have what i want years from now. Priorities can change, people can bring dogs into their breeding program you don't want anything to do with, etc.

The time factor is something that very well might vary between breeders, tho.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I start off saying No, to someone who calls and has really little kids (under 5). There are very few families that have one of our dogs AND small kids. I place a lot of weight on how the parents react to their kids (running rampant through our home, poking at dogs, pulling ears, whining) and also how the kids treat their parents. Frankly if you can't control your 3 or 4 year old then I wouldn't think you could control a small puppy and I don't want to place my puppy in a situation where it's terrorized by some spoiled child who doesn't listen to their parents.....
Maura you took the words right out of my mouth ;-)

·
Registered
874 Posts
When I was breeding, I wouldn't have taken anyone the least bit seriously if they told me it would be years down the line before they'd be ready for a puppy. I'd kinda consider them lookie-lous and pretty much a waste of time.
I know a lot of long term breeders who agree with me about this, they really want to talk to people who are ready or very close to being ready-too much can change about puppy buyer's lives, etc. in a blink of an eye.

Along the same lines, I'd never put my eggs into one basket with any breeder for any length of time either, in terms of thinking they'll have what i want years from now. Priorities can change, people can bring dogs into their breeding program you don't want anything to do with, etc.

The time factor is something that very well might vary between breeders, tho.
Interesting. I usually contact breeders immediately because I like to build a relationship with the breeder before the dog even comes in the picture. I've been chatting with 1 breeder for 3-4 years now haha (though at this point I would consider him a friend and not just a breeder)

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
We got Thor (our first Doberman) when our daughter was turning 7. Part of the reason that our breeder was OK with us getting one of her puppies was because our daughter is polite, calm and listens well (most of the time at least, lol). She knew that our daughter had grown up around dogs, and we teach her the right way to be around them, and old enough to follow the rules on how to treat dogs.

I'm sure it would have been a different story if she were a little younger, or wild and didn't listen.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Colleen, so it would be your preference that someone contact you several years before looking to buy? I definitely don't want to be a pest and don't know what I'd say to one at this point, since it is several years down the road. Right now, I have 4 dogs and one baby - that is PLENTY as far as I am concerned for the time being! View attachment 15819

I'm in CO. I would probably start by contacting Gallant, and see what/who they recommend as far as local breeders. I do have several breeders who I admire from afar, but am unsure if they'd be willing to sell a pup to someone across the country.
I gotta say your baby is very cute! :)

Reactions: Colorado Dobes

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you!! :) He is a sweetheart. We waited a long time for him. :)

I think what I may do is start following some of the breeders I'm interested in, keeping an eye on their dogs and see what they do, an also start attending some local shows and observing. Ideally I'd like to wait until our baby is about 6 - old enough to learn about responsibility and start learning how to care for a dog, as well as behave responsibly around one. I'd hate to start bugging breeders at this point when we are looking at about 5 years down the road before I'm interested in purchasing.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
My dogs have been tortured by their fair share of friends and families' little kids! Poor things! .
That's the kind of statement that will keep a reputable breeder from considering selling a puppy to you.

Just a question......why do we require more control from our dogs than we do from friends and family?

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Why would you allow it to even begin? It takes a mere moment for a child to do something to hurt or harass a dog and the dog respond.

The appropriate way is to prevent it before it even begins so there is no "fair share".

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, for the last, oh, 5 years, my dogs have been outside or otherwise not around when we have had company. I can't remember a time when my two newest have been around anyone's kids other than my own. I can remember two times when someone's child misbehaved around my dogs. I was sitting right with them both times. The first, must have been 6 or 7 years ago, I was sitting on the floor with London laying next to me, my cousin's daughter was petting her, and all of the sudden grabbed her ear and pulled it. London didn't react other than to cry. I removed the girl's hand and told her not to do that, and her mother scolded her. The second time was the same exact situation, but with my dachshund sitting in my lap. I understan what you are saying, but my dogs are never around children unsupervised. My own dogs are not allowed in the same room as my baby unless one of us is holding him. We are very careful. I wouldn't put my child or my dogs in an unsafe situation.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
That's the kind of statement that will keep a reputable breeder from considering selling a puppy to you.
I stand by this statement. When a potential puppy buyer tells a reputable breeder her dogs "have had their fair share of torture by friends/families" it throws up a red flag. Even if your remark was something just off the cuff it would still make a breeder take notice. Rescue organizations really take a look at the family/home situation before they place a dog. Reputable breeders and rescue organizations want to make certain (as certain as they possibly can) to put one of their dogs in a safe/secure/forever home. Sometimes that means saying "no" to someone with small children or makes a remark that is cause for concern.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts