Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is copied from another post, posted by VZ-doberman

"I watched the video of this dog at the confo show and I certainly am no expert but I would have some serious reservations about doing agility with her. The rear end movement and topline looks like there are some problems. I didn't get a good look at the front. Agility requires good conformation to not only successfully compete but remain healthy. My novice opinion is that this dog couldn't manage the wear and tear of agility."

I mentioned a few weeks ago that Ammo will be starting to play around with agility and we went to our first class this week (brief and mostly explanatory/get to know each other ) My question is for my fellow doberman athlete parents: do you think Ammo looks physically fit for the sport? (the trainer said he looks great but I get the feeling she has not worked with a lot of doberman, mainly mals and tervs or small breeds) Not that she isnt qualified, I just trust opinions of you guys :) Plus, after reading the above post in another thread, it got me worried.
I have no idea what I'm doing as far as conformation goes other than really obvious flaws. I took a few side shots, please give your constructive criticism
(p.s. he is 4- 6 lbs overweight and we are working on that)

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Take a look at the video that was posted in the other thread. What do you notice about the rear movement? Look at the topline also. Then compare that with how your guy moves and looks. You also need a dog that has the mental strength to compete. No one knows their dog better than you do.

Maybe some day we'll run into each other at a trial! :)

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:) maybe so! do you ever come to florida/area

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
I'm not an agility person - but I've seen plenty of Dobes who do agility. No dog has perfect conformation & I've certainly seen Dobes with far worse structure than your guy doing agility. He really looks like he as adequate angulation front and rear - he needs to take off some weight, and you might want to consider having his hips and elbows xrayed as if for OFA submission to see if they are in good shape for agility.

I think that as long as you both enjoy it and you learn his limitations, he should be fine. :)

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Honestly, I think sports have more to do with drive and heart that conformation. Some of the most unattractive dogs are the best at sports. Take Ottomac for example.

IDC WM 2010 - 1. Ottomac B fazis - YouTube

This is his ob routine from the 2010 IDC. Up close... not attractive IMO. The protection of the 2012 IDC shows better close up, but it isn't on youtube yet. He is about 7 years old now and has V'd in protection the last 3 years at the IDC worlds.

Agir was another dog that had terrible conformation. He was competing at high levels his whole life and competed until he was 9 years old I think.

Do it. Have fun with it.

·
joie de vivre
11,275 Posts
I think with any dog you just have to be aware of what their flaws are and take care to make sure their form is good for what they're doing. There are proper ways to jump, approach and leave equipment, etc. The trainers will help you train those things correctly so you can recognize the subtle things they may do incorrectly (in some cases due to their flaws, in other cases just due to inexperience when the dog may not be very careful in the beginning) that can cause problems.

Have fun! Agility is addictive! :)

Reactions: Adara

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Honestly, I think sports have more to do with drive and heart that conformation. Some of the most unattractive dogs are the best at sports. Take Ottomac for example..
LOL he's not the prettiest peach in the basket but he can do his job.

I think there is a difference between unattractive and unsound. Looking at the video that was posted of the dog at the conformation show I keep going back to that rear movement and the topline.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts