Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! This is my first time posting. After much research my fíance and I have decided to embark on the journey of getting our first Doberman. This is also our first time dealing with breeders. I was a vet tech for years so in the past all of my animals were more or less rescues from my work or off the street so this process is all new to us!

I found a very promising lead on the AKC Marketplace, which I've been told is a good place to start when looking for reputable breeders, for Michelle Lupin of Willow Brook Kennels in Temecula, California. So far so good in communication, very friendly and responsive. Set up an appointment to view pups on Friday.

So I am pleased so far but I am a very research oriented person and I have found nothing online or on the forums about this specific breeder! Which is totally fine, sometimes people don't have much of an online presence. I'm just so anxious about choosing the right pup and my coping mechanism is research, research, research! The sire is Tres Beauart Of The Deal (WS60718107) and the dam is Willowbrooks Cocoa Chanel WDPC (WZ01788907). Perhaps I am not well versed in how to use the AKC website but when I tried searching them I couldn't find any additional information on the parents besides just their names.

Additionally, if no one has any information on this specific breeder, any tips on what I should be looking for on our first visit? The pups will be only about 4 weeks old so we won't be able to handle them. I'm reading up on all the stickied threads but any personal experience tips are totally appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
21,134 Posts
As Mary said, I would pass on a breeder that is breeding a Doberman that has bred a WZ registered dog. Even if the litter doesn't have albinos, it tells me that they don't know enough about the breed for me.

The AKC Marketplace isn't where I would look for breeders, personally. This is a good read in our stickies if you haven't read it yet: https://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/302410-how-do-you-find-responsible-breeder.html

If you're in California, the West Coast actually has a good amount of quality breeders. You do probably need to be prepared for a bit of a wait, but it will be worth it.

This is a good thread on California breeders, with some good recommendations: https://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/303347-california-doberman-breeders.html

·
Got mutt?
13,603 Posts
The only requirements for advertising on the AKC Marketplace is that the dogs be AKC registered and that you haven't had your AKC privileges revoked. As such, you can find really good breeders there and you can find really crummy breeders there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your first huge red flag here is that this breeder is breeding ancestors of albino Dobermans - that's what the WZ in the dam's registration means. If you see a Z, it indicates albino ancestors, and no responsible breeders breed from that.

Please spend some time here https://glengate.webs.com/buyingguide.htm
Ah, I had no idea that is what the WZ meant! Definitely do not want albino Doberman genes in the ancestry. This is exactly what pushed me to make an account instead of lurking the boards as I definitely have more research to do. Will definitely be checking out that link! Thank you so much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As Mary said, I would pass on a breeder that is breeding a Doberman that has bred a WZ registered dog. Even if the litter doesn't have albinos, it tells me that they don't know enough about the breed for me.

The AKC Marketplace isn't where I would look for breeders, personally. This is a good read in our stickies if you haven't read it yet: https://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/302410-how-do-you-find-responsible-breeder.html

If you're in California, the West Coast actually has a good amount of quality breeders. You do probably need to be prepared for a bit of a wait, but it will be worth it.

This is a good thread on California breeders, with some good recommendations: https://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/303347-california-doberman-breeders.html
I will definitely reread the sticky and check out the thread on California area breeders! Thank you for the information. Would you recommend that I email or call breeders once I've found one we're possibly interested in? I've been mainly using email with little success.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with the two comments above.

Good luck in your search. Can you tell us what you're looking for? I have a veterinary friend with a high drive mostly euro. 12 week old male available in Colorado.
Thank you! We're looking for an active companion dog. We live in an urban area and my fíance is at work a lot, so I wanted a friend and protector of sorts while he's away. We live in an extremely dog friendly city so they would be able to come with me everywhere which is the plan. We are prepared to do lots of training to make this a reality. We're also very active and wish to take our dog on our daily walks, runs, etc. along the beach as well as on hiking trips with us.

We were leaning towards an American Doberman as I read they're a more "family-type" dog (?) but I'm very open to advice if after reading this it would seem a Euro Doberman would be more suitable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only requirements for advertising on the AKC Marketplace is that the dogs be AKC registered and that you haven't had your AKC privileges revoked. As such, you can find really good breeders there and you can find really crummy breeders there.
Wow, I had no idea those were the only requirements! That is very good to know, thank you!

·
Super Moderator
21,134 Posts
I will definitely reread the sticky and check out the thread on California area breeders! Thank you for the information. Would you recommend that I email or call breeders once I've found one we're possibly interested in? I've been mainly using email with little success.
What I would recommend is emailing kind of a "resume"...your background with dogs, what you are looking for in a dog (temperament, what kind of lifestyle you live, etc), and what appeals to you about a particular breeder. Be polite, let them know that you would like to talk to them more, at their convenience, by phone or email, whatever works for them.

Keep in mind that breeders have been getting HUGE amounts of contacts right now. Everyone I know has had their volume of contacts go up tremendously during the pandemic. Triple, four times, more...the amount they normally get. Most of them work jobs, and are also taking care of their dogs. If you don't hear back in a few weeks, follow up with a nice phone call (leave a message), that says that you emailed them a few weeks ago, you are very interested in a puppy, you know that they are busy, and you would love to have a conversation with them when it is convenient.

Unfortunately, many breeders get inquiries that are simply "do have have puppies/how much." Some find these offensive, or abrupt, and simply delete these as "not serious" or they aren't planning a litter soon, or they have all their puppies reserved. While that's super frustrating because people simply don't know better, that's the way it is, so taking the time to write something longer and more detailed will serve you well. Persistence (and politeness) will serve you well.

If there are ANY dog shows in your area, that can be a good way to meet breeders, but in my area, at least, right now they are not allowing spectators.

You might also go to www.dpca.org and click on "chapter clubs" and contact the club(s) nearest you. They can be very helpful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yes, I can imagine that most breeders are positively inundated with messages right now! I love the resume approach. Will definitely put one together today. I will also try to look into any dog shows happening soon and any clubs near me. I reached out to the Aztec Doberman Pinscher Club of San Diego last week with no reply yet but as you stated the dog world is buzzing right now so that's not too surprising!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts