Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nyx is 98% house trained now. The only exceptions are rainy days and peeing while she's sleeping. We've ruled out UTI or any other health issues and vet says she's healthy.

For the rainy days, I was thinking maybe I should take her on walks when it's raining to show her rain won't make her or I melt? Because she goes often, she has full access to the backyard all through the day. When it's raining, though, she just won't go outside. If it's raining all night she will hold it all the way until the morning and then she just can't anymore and there's a mess.

For the "wetting the bed", both the dogs (have another rescued Golden mix) now own the loveseat and aren't allowed on other furniture unless they're on our laps. I've researched as much as I can, but I can't seem to find anything definite on it. I'm holding off on spaying her until after her first heat because I've read that could make incontinence worse. Anything else I should be doing?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,424 Posts
It sounds like this is an ongoing problem that has been discussed at a deeper level than the following, but just in case:

There are a few effective medications for incontinence, with relatively few side effects and mostly trouble free. I suppose your vet hasn't talked to you about them because of your pup's age?

Anyway, if and when it becomes appropriate to use meds, it is nice to know that there are a few treatments around. You could discuss options with your vet so you know what to expect.

How long does she sleep before she wets? Would it help to just wake her up to take her out at regular intervals?

·
Premium Member
10,254 Posts
I couldn't shed any light on the Golden but a 15 week old puppy who doesn't want to go out and pee in the rain needs to go out in the rain--on leash and simply not go back in until she pees. If you just let her not go out because it's raining and she looses bladder control because her bladder is full but she doesn't want to get rained on and she pees in her sleep you just plain need to teach her how to go out and pee in the rain.

Puppies (and older dogs too for that matter) will learn if you are persistant about keeping them out until they do pee, that the only way they are getting back in, out of the rain is to take care of business. By the way, in Nyx's case, this really doesn't sound so much like incontinence as puppy behavior. Like little kids not going to the bathroom when they need to and then it becomes an emergency or accidents (like peeing in her sleep). Bottom line is she isn't yet house trained--if she can get out and doesn't because she might get wet she needs more training.

Put on your rain gear and be prepared to spend some time outside walking her--that also works better than just letting her stand like a lump.

Good luck--it's not necessarily fun but it is doable.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Nyx, speaking from experience here, my first girl I had spayed at a very early age. She developed incontinence about 5-6 yrs old.

Now my current girl, I waited until after her first heat to get her fixed. She developed incontinence at about age 2 !!!

I think its a crap shoot what you get.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Golden doesn't have that problem, I should have been clearer, sorry.

The wetting the bed problem happens about 1/3 of the time she sleeps. No matter if she's just been out or not. Only when she's sleeping. No accidents in the house when she's awake (except for the not going out in the rain). I've cut off the water at 8PM and she doesn't do it overnight that we can tell, but when she naps during the day after tiring herself out, it happens. I'm hoping it's just a case of she's so excited to play she forgets to go and then falls asleep and lets loose. It takes a little effort to wake her up when I catch it and by the time I bring her outside she just looks at me like I'm crazy for waking her up, she has no idea she's doing it.

Next time it rains, I will definitely take her out on the leash. I just wasn't sure if that would be harmful (can't think of a better word) or not.

Reactions: melbrod

·
Registered
667 Posts
We created a Diva in the beginning with Rush and rain. We used to hold umbrella over him when it was time for him to go potty because when the rain drops would hit him he too thought he would melt. This was cured by taking him to daycare and he was sent outside with the other dogs and when he saw that they didn't melt he ran outside to potty n play until it was time to go back inside

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Its pouring rain right now, as I type this.

Amy won't go outside, unless Dad does too...so when bed time comes...tonight we are both getting wet.
- if your not taking your girl ouside personally, that could be the problem

If I don't get on Amy to do her business:
- she will try and stand under the gabble roof (of the sun porch) and try too keep dry / Dad has to coax her into standing in the open and go pee
This has been going on for 11 years now...LOL....but it works.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
We've had some terrible storms and my girl stands and shakes she hates thunder and storms. I also have to go outside with her and tell her it's time to do your business LOL!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts