Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Priscilla was tattooed and hence, as a rescue, her breeder was easily identified.

How does this tattoo originate (MaryandDobes?) Is it a requirement for CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) registration? Or is it voluntary?

I am wondering why the AKC can't do the same thing, because if the rescue dogs (that are registered) keep getting traced back to the same breeder, BYB (or worse),wouldn't that make a huge difference?

And now, Swilly says "it's time to stop worrying and go to bed Mom."

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The CKC requires either a microchip or a tattoo in order to register a dog. In Canada, the first three characters will identify the breeder, the next will identify the specific puppy and the last will be a code for the specific year in which the pup was born. My dog's tattoo was both covered with fur and illegible after he was about four, for what that is worth.

I think most rescues are more than well aware of which local breeders tend to produce animals which end up in rescue. I don't know what difference that makes, since you cannot really legislate ethics. Once a pup or dog is sold, it legally becomes the property and responsibility of the new owner.

·
Super Moderator
21,746 Posts
As a rescue volunteer, I really, really wish breeders would microchip their pups with the breeder's contact info before they go to new homes. New owners can be added as an additional contact after the sale. I am always afraid that a well-bred dog will end up in rescue and we won't have any way to figure out where they came from. We recently had a very nice looking male with a pretty show crop that may have been from a decent breeder, but the rescue had no way to know.

·
Extraordimary
4,946 Posts
Priscilla was tattooed and hence, as a rescue, her breeder was easily identified.

How does this tattoo originate (MaryandDobes?) Is it a requirement for CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) registration? Or is it voluntary?

I am wondering why the AKC can't do the same thing, because if the rescue dogs (that are registered) keep getting traced back to the same breeder, BYB (or worse),wouldn't that make a huge difference?
As mmctaq said, CKC breeders MUST do either a tattoo or a microchip. It's voluntary to acquire a CKC combo from the CKC and is becoming less popular as more people seem to be chipping these days.

I agree that it seems to be something that the AKC could implement without too much trouble.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I have mine chipped. I think it's a great idea for breeders or anyone wanting to register a dog to have to provide a micro chip number to AKC first.

I personally also believe we should microchip or figure out a gps for children. No more kidnapped or lost children. Then at 16, Voila, it's gone.

Reactions: EmilyB

·
Registered
793 Posts
my breeder Pamelot Dobermans does micro-chip and tattoo ... the tattoo does get very hard to read as the dog gets older....

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,944 Posts
My last girl had a tattoo when she came to me, and as zoomatl mentioned previously, it got practically illegible within a few years.

I think Q should get a "mom" tattoo--well, maybe a "dad" tatoo would do.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Who does the tattoos on a dog? Do breeders go down to a seedy part of town and hire a tattoo artist or do they do it themselves?
I don't think it's as common now that microchips have come along, but there used to be people who specialized in pet tattoos who were mobile. You'd see tattoo clinics at shows. A friend of mine arranged a tattoo clinic at her house, the person doing the tats just wanted a guarantee of a certain number of dogs.

I'm surprised at the number of people who said the tattoos their dogs got became illegible over time. That wasn't my experience at all.

·
Extraordimary
4,946 Posts
Ours are tattooed when they are under anesthetic being cropped. I've seen some that are big, bold, black, don't fade, don't stretch, and look wonderful for life, and others that do stretch (pregnant bitches) or just faded, and yet, they were all done at the same place.

One of the puppers took a chunk out of Moxie right on her tattoo not too long after she got it rendering it somewhat illegible.

I chip them, too, though.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Even if the AKC required it - sooooo many BYB'ers either don't register or use a sham registry like the other CKC already to avoid things like limited registration I don't see how it would be much help.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have mine chipped. I think it's a great idea for breeders or anyone wanting to register a dog to have to provide a micro chip number to AKC first.

I personally also believe we should microchip or figure out a gps for children. No more kidnapped or lost children. Then at 16, Voila, it's gone.

this is not a good idea for children, think about who else other than the government might be tracking your children.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hans has a tattoo in the left ear. It has his kennel initials and two numbers. It is getting a little lighter, but can easily be read. I just registered him with AKC and the foreign registration has a place to document tattoo and/or microchip (which I recently had done). I agree it would be nice to require one or the other. It would probably lower registration numbers for AKC though, which would make them not in favor of it. It is nice to think that AKC may one day think about the dogs well being first.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I thought dobies were tattooed on the belly?

My dogs have always been tattooed high on an inside upper thigh (hind leg).

I know at one time it was pretty common to see European dogs tattooed inside an ear. I don't like that area, as if the dog winds up getting stolen, it's pretty easy to just amputate that ear.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts