Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get to post much on here but have been going through a lot of medical issues with my dog Quinn. I'll start a thread on that later but have a quick question for now. On top of everything else he has ringworm. I am wondering what to do with his "stuff". Several people have told me it is best to just throw anything fabric away. He has been wearing two coats and his brand new Batman jammies. He hasn't been wearing his really nice collars, but they are still ones I'd like to keep. Does anyone know how to disinfect this kind of stuff? I know it is probably a trivial thing to worry about, but having to throw all his nice stuff away would just be adding insult to injury.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
If there are only a few spots and you are sure it's ringworm without a scraping use Lamisil twice a day. Do not use the generic stuff, buy the true Lamisil. If you aren't sure it's ringworm his vet needs to do a scraping.

I would wash his bedding and coat.

The Lamisil works fairly quickly.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Did the vet put him on any oral meds? What did the vet say to do? The Lamisil works great if there are only a few spots. Careful, you may get it too as well as any other pets in your home. If you get it, use the Lamisil. My Joe had it supposedly from digging so much for moles. We went to the vet who did the scrapings and the vet said he gets it from time to time and uses the Lamisil. Our vet did not want to put him on oral meds until we saw whether or not the Lamisil worked. It worked great.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Jack had ringworm when he was about six months old. Just one spot on his leg, so we were able to wrap it and keep it covered between topical treatments. He was also on oral meds.

Just in case, our vet gave us directions for disinfecting the house with a bleach solution, and we also bought Imaverol solution from her. She also warned us that it might be necessary to steam clean the carpets, etc. In the end, though, all we did was launder his bed and other things that we knew he had touched, such as our clothing. For the duration, we kept him away from other animals and continued laundering loose items regularly. We also washed our hands really, really, frequently.

Everything was fine. The single spot cleared up, and keeping it covered seemed to prevent any shedding of spores. There was no recurrence. But if more spots had shown up, so that it was clear that the spores weren't contained, we would have taken a more active approach.

If I were you, I would simply wash Quinn's stuff, as well as any other loose household items that he has come into contact with, then wait and see how things go. Ringworm isn't as scarily contagious as people often fear, though of course, being very careful is a good idea.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I asked the doctor today and he seemed to think throwing everything out was overkill, so I'll wash everything in really hot water this weekend. WE are trying to treat topically for now. I want to give that a try before going to oral meds.

·
Premium Member
10,246 Posts
I asked the doctor today and he seemed to think throwing everything out was overkill, so I'll wash everything in really hot water this weekend. WE are trying to treat topically for now. I want to give that a try before going to oral meds.
Use bleach too--it's a very good fungicide.

If your vet can't tell what dilution quantity to use, Google for information on that.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Here is a mess of cures. I wouldn't use the fingernail polish one on a dog. You might ought to check with your vet if you are not sure about the safety of the cure you choose.
Ringworm Home Remedies

I used the bleach one on my self and the selsun blue wash with bleach rinse on Parker when I wasn't quiet sure what was wrong with him, but knew the bleach is a great fungicide. I can't exactly remember the dilution tho and you don't want it to be too strong on a dog. I think it was 1/8 cup to 1 gal water. The water should not feel slick. If it does the mix is needs more dilution. That should help keep any new spots from breaking out.

Has anyone mentioned using athlete's foot cream. That may be what lamisal is. If the there aren't too many spots and they are where they dog can't lick off the med, I would use the cream, after bathing in selsun blue shampoo and rinsing off with the bleach solution above.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
For educational purposes only.

I have found that Selsun Blue shampoo is used in conjunction with oral meds for ringworm.

Monistat for yeast infections contains miconazole which is the fungus/yeast killing ingredient in some athletes food preparations.

I would imagine a good vingar rinse with 1 cup acv or white vinegar to 1 gallon of water would also be a good yeast/fungus preventative.

Excellent information in this article about allergies, yeast, baths and rinses.
http://healthypets.mercola.com/site...s-what-can-you-do-to-help-your-itchy-pet.aspx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts