Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is realy good to feed raw feeding to my puppy ? she is almost 5 month. I would lik to know if in the raw food do it have vegetale and some calcium ? Because when i bought my dog the breeder gave me for 10 days of raw food. But i decided to get her on origen and acana after the 10 days. I dont know if i should change back to raw feeding. I asked my breeder how much do it cost and she said it 30-40$ per month only but i have to buy it for 3 month for i get some free. Origen cost me 85$ per month and acana it 72$ per month. Do you guys thing that raw feeding it realy good ?

·
Registered
16,117 Posts
I would like to know where you can buy a months worth of raw food for $30/40 . What is the web address? You would have to read the information on the website to know what their food contains as there are different options on raw feeding. There is ground whole prey, whole prey, ground with veggies, ground with bone and ground without bone. When you feed raw, you need to know what you are doing to provide a balanced diet if you buy your own meat from grocery stores or you can do permanent irreversable damage to your pup's organs and bones. It is vitally important to understand what you are doing. It is not that hard once you understand the basics. Raw is the best food for a dog but there are risks involved like broken teeth, choking to death and stomach perforations.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Raw food for our 7 month old costs us about $80 per month. There is no way to safely feed your dog a prey model diet for $30 or $40. The food is the best for your dog and it's really very simple. Make sure though that you understand what it is you are supposed to be doing before doing it. Don't just hand your dog a frozen turkey and hope for the best.

If you do find a place to buy 3 months worth of raw (about 150 pounds of food), please let me know and I'll start buying too!:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Raw food for our 7 month old costs us about $80 per month. There is no way to safely feed your dog a prey model diet for $30 or $40. The food is the best for your dog and it's really very simple. Make sure though that you understand what it is you are supposed to be doing before doing it. Don't just hand your dog a frozen turkey and hope for the best.

If you do find a place to buy 3 months worth of raw (about 150 pounds of food), please let me know and I'll start buying too!:)
i dont thing it have bone. It block of food like meat or chicken. it 30$ per 40 lb. I have to buy 3 stack of 40 lb for it 30$ each stack.If i buy 1 per 1 stack of 40 lb it cost more.

90$ for 120 lb

·
Registered
137 Posts
i dont thing it have bone. It block of food like meat or chicken. it 30$ per 40 lb. I have to buy 3 stack of 40 lb for it 30$ each stack.If i buy 1 per 1 stack of 40 lb it cost more.

90$ for 120 lb
Make sure you check the ingredients and make sure there is ground up bone in this "stack". If there is no bone you will harm the development of your puppy's own bones and muscle and you will deal with cannon butt on a daily basis. There should be organ meat and a variety of muscle meat (from more than just chicken). We use a local butcher or grocery store to buy our meat. Anything under $2/ pound is fair game. Over the course of one week Alex will receive turkey, chicken, pork, beef, fish, chicken liver, beef kidney, and whole eggs. It is very important to give a variety of meat.

EDIT: Just to add on, the $30 for a 40 pound bag of food is strangely inexpensive. Most ground combo meals are $4-$5 per pound as there is labor involved in preparing these meals.

·
Super Moderator
23,670 Posts
I think you should get your pup's stools stabilized before you consider switching foods. Have you had a stool sample screened yet?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you should get your pup's stools stabilized before you consider switching foods. Have you had a stool sample screened yet?
she is doing 2 poo per day atm and both are good. She is doing no more diarrhy. I am gonna keep watching it but if the poo are good i dont thing i am gonna go to the vet. It not a question about money it just if the poo are good and she do only 2 poo per day it ok.

·
Super Moderator
23,670 Posts
she is doing 2 poo per day atm and both are good. She is doing no more diarrhy. I am gonna keep watching it but if the poo are good i dont thing i am gonna go to the vet. It not a question about money it just if the poo are good and she do only 2 poo per day it ok.
As I mentioned in your other thread, giardia often shows itself this way. Dogs will have diarrhea for a while, then good stools, then back to diarrhea again. Just because things look good now does not mean there isn't anything wrong. If the cost isn't a worry, why not go in for a vet visit, get a good fecal screening and check-up, so you know she's healthy? If there is something amiss I would not want to put her on raw. Dogs with compromised immune systems often should not be put on raw diets.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You are playing with fire by not taking your baby to the vet. I know it is inconvenient but please take the time to do it for the long term health of your pup. Once cleared of everything you can start on a raw diet.

:ukliam2:

·
Registered
551 Posts
I think someone said this, but feeding ground raw with no bone in it will only make your dogs stools worse. If you go back to raw you need to aim for 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ meat. Not including bone is dangerous, and even with a ground meat/bone mixture your dog will miss out on the dental benefits of a raw diet.
A trip to the vet can rule out something serious for now, and then you can do more research on the raw diet later.
Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.