Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So...it used to be an issue...but over time I got Jack used to it. He would happily give his paw and calmly wait while I line it up and clip so he could get his piece of cheese, or whatever.

I was very happy about this progress. It was a long time coming, but then...I clipped his quick again the other night! Now he wont let me do it anymore! Right now he's got five of his front eight nails clipped (thankfully, I dont have to do the rear ones), and the other three are really long and he won't let me clip them.

A couple times now I've gone through the motions and given him a treat but when it comes time for the clip, he gets sucky and shies away.

Any suggestions for regaining that comfort level again?? Do I just hold him and clip it so he sees it's nothing to worry about again or do I have to do through the long process of pairing it with a positive again (meanwhile those three nails are getting longer, and longer!) Will he forget in time??

Help!

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
You might have to start from scratch, but it would be faster than the first time. You may want to actually switch to using a Dremel. I find it's less scary for my dogs and it's much easier not to quick them. Here's a good "how-to" on dremeling: How to Dremel Dog Nails @ DoberDawn.com

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I prefer to clip, and I got the quick once. It took me a month to get him to happily accept nail clipping again.

I would start from scratch, anytime your dog sets back in training, take a step back, breathe, and start all over again without change in emotion.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
That's why I use the dremel. I SUCK with the clippers. I paired high value food with the dremel however, have to give most of the credit to Flirt's breeder. I think she did them every 4 days before I got her.

Trying to get me to hurry to start the process
hurry - YouTube

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I got tired of quicking Parker. I get one every time I cut his toenails. Had bought a dremel a long time ago, when he was a pup, but it really wasn't strong enough. Kept meaning to get another dremel...finally, when I cut that last quick and nearly got another one, but he whined, I said that was it...no more trimming nails till I get a dremel. I guess my eyes are just not good enough anymore, cause I used to cut all my dogs and never clipped a quick.

Here is the dremel for you...I bet it could fly a helicopter and it is with a cord, which is what I wanted...hate charging the battery type things.

You could probably get the cheaper version, the way mine is, but check for reviews first. I know the more expensive got lousy reviews, but mine got good ones and I think the one down got good ones, but not sure now. I love it!!!

Clothing, Toys, Electronics, Jewelry, Jaclyn Smith - Kmart.com
Quick View
Dremel Single Speed Rotary Tool 5.0 $39.99
This product is available through a Sears distributor.
Price Details
Price Details $39.99

Well, I don't see it there, but I thought there was another one for 29.99. Maybe they sold out and aren't restocking.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I think clippers squeeze and pinch the nail. I use the larger cordless Dremel and the best treats I can find. Even if you draw blood once in a while the Dremel seems to cauterize the nail. I'd rub him with the Dremel in the off position around his neck and over his body keeping it away from his nails at first. Then I'd rub his nails with it off and praise him strongly. Then turn it on and rub him. Then maybe just lightly do one nail or touch all of them. Pretty soon he should be ok with it. I also like the medium grit instead of the heavy grit because it does not seem to heat up so quickly.

Reactions: dobriety

·
formerly known as moona
1,461 Posts
I would also recommend the dremel. Once you get the hang of it, it's MUCH easier than clippers and a lot less likely that you'll hit the quick.

If you do have to start back from square one, you can always take your dog to a pet store to have them done. I found that while I was training Roxy to trust me, she had no problem trusting the people at the pet store.

That helped keep her nails from getting out of control and allowed me to maintain a S-L-O-W and proper introduction of the dremel at home.

·
Registered
24 Posts
LOVE my big cordless dremel for any dog with black nails! I'm way too scared to clip black nails, and they know it. And he gets a total cookie jackpot at the end. Is it a bad thing when your dog is so Pavlovian-conditioned that he drools at the sight of the dremel? lol

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
My dogs are a study in contrast when it comes to nails. My Rattie Lucky is either a 3 person or 2 people and a muzzle job. Has been his entire life. I have to take him to the vet to get his nails done, because I can either hold him, or cut his nails, but I can't do both at the same time. Ilka just lays there and lets me use either clippers or a grinder. If you decide to go with a grinder, PetEdge has one with a built-in light on the tip. That's the one I have.

Reactions: dobriety

·
Registered
188 Posts
I used to clip too but found I got the quick a lot. I have switched to the dremmel as well now and I would never go back.
I would try, like the others said, going back a step again. When I was getting our girls used to the dremmel they used to get a high reward treat after each nail was done. I'd start with just a touch of the dremmel to their nail and then treat. Then I'd grind and treat. Then I worked my way up to doing the entire nail, treat. Slowly over time (not in the same session) I worked my way to one high reward treat per paw, instead of per nail. Maybe you could try a similar technique with the clippers. Just touch the nail and treat, then a small cut and treat. Etc.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, guys. I was thinking dremel, I guess that's the answer. In the meantime, moona, I think I'll take him in just to get those three nails clipped.

This whole thing is a bummer though, cuz we'd gotten so far. He was fearless! Now back to square one.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I agree with the majority. Dremmel! Its the way to go. Once you get the hang of it. Its great! I have only quicked once or twice by accident. The second to last time I did Kryah's right to the quick on purpose to try and shorten her nails some and she was fine. A little uncomfortable. Then when I did them the next time she didnt give me any trouble. For me, I have hurt the terriers less using a dremmel. Kyrah has only been dremmeled.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Jaspernator's post reminded me of how natural horsemanship trainers tell you to get horses over something that stresses them:
Consider everything in time increments of 10 (10 seconds, 10 minutes, whatever you need). Start with applying the 'stress' for 1, resting for 9. Then increase to 'stress' for 2, rest for 8. You get the idea. The more stressful something is, the shorter you apply it and the longer you wait before doing it again, until you can increase the time to half and half, and more! Good luck. Put your Patient Hat on for this. :)

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
what i've learned over the past 5 years... if you make a big deal of quicking, the dobe will make a big deal of it. Quicking, unfortunately, is a fact of life for us. I am not perfect, I don't quick every time, but sometimes it does happen. He'll pull the foot back, sometimes give a half hearted half bark, but I tell him still and we finish the nails. Then I dabble quik stop on the affected nails(s), I pat him good boy, and we go off for a walk or something else he likes doing. He forgets about the quicking pretty quickly (ooo, a pun ). Oh, and we dremel as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts