Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first post. I have been reading up on this site for a while but just officially signed up today. I have a male pup that just turned 6m, 1 week old Thursday. He got his ears cropped when he was 7 week old when he was still with breeder. I kept going to the same ear clinic where he had the crop done until they told me his ears where standing. Believe it or not, the ear clinic is probably the most popular and recommended ear specific clinic in Houston.

According to them, most cropped ears should stand about 2 months after the initial crop (reading around here has shown me that isn't often true). After the 2 months, his right ear stood without and issues, but on the 2nd day the right one flopped over. The right ear was looking good the first day but when he woke up it was flopped over. I took him back to the ear clinic and they said he needed a small procedure to correct the ears (which I regret getting now) which i think they called a tuck or lift or something like that. Fast forward to now, after they took his stitches out i started to post them myself. I taped for 1 month without letting the left ear flop. The right ear is great and doesn't flop. The left one is not folded over since i make sure to not let it.

To me, looking at the floppy left ear, the shape looks a little different that the right. I think that might be one of the reasons that it flops. I took some pictures to get opinions. The left still has some glue since i took the tape off this afternoon.

It looks like to me that his left ear has some sort of bulge/bump on the middle edge on the inside. Could that be the reason? I am only comparing to the right ear which look a lot straighter than left.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any feedback! :)

·
Super Moderator
15,412 Posts
That is what's called an ear pocket. Although your puppy's is not very severe it should be corrected by using a "bumper" on the post to push it out. I would strongly recommend to learn how to post the ears yourself rather than relying on a veterinary office because this is likely not something they have experience in fixing and the fact that they think you're done shows exactly that. Was this ear trim? They do not have a great reputation with dobermans to be honest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what's called an ear pocket. Although your puppy's is not very severe it should be corrected by using a "bumper" on the post to push it out. I would strongly recommend to learn how to post the ears yourself rather than relying on a veterinary office because this is likely not something they have experience in fixing and the fact that they think you're done shows exactly that. Was this ear trim? They do not have a great reputation with dobermans to be honest.
Thank you for the reply. Yes, it was ear trim. I will look into it to try to fix it. Is the ear pocket the reason it flops? Also, is there a video or website you can link that shows how to do the “bumper” posting? Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,552 Posts
We have a couple.

This one, showing ear posting from beginning to end, shows how to fix the bumper on the post (the steps right before the end of the first post) if you're just scanning looking for it. On into the second post, it talks a little about where to put the bumper in the ear.
I tend to push around with my thumb—I see where I need to push to get the ear to straighten out and then put the bumper there.

This one also covers correcting ear pockets with bumpers:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have a couple.

This one, showing ear posting from beginning to end, shows how to fix the bumper on the post (the steps right before the end of the first post) if you're just scanning looking for it. On into the second post, it talks a little about where to put the bumper in the ear.
I tend to push around with my thumb—I see where I need to push to get the ear to straighten out and then put the bumper there.

This one also covers correcting ear pockets with bumpers:
Thanks again, i ran to the store and got everything i need to post ears with backer rod. Question: is the reason the left ear flops because of the ear pocket? The left one is the one you were talking about right? The right one looks good?

sorry just making sure. :)

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
Thanks again, i ran to the store and got everything i need to post ears with backer rod. Question: is the reason the left ear flops because of the ear pocket? The left one is the one you were talking about right? The right one looks good?

sorry just making sure. :)
Hi,

The flopping may or may not be related to the pocket. It may simply need to be posted longer (and if the flop is related to the pocket posting with the bumper should help. But if it isn't the posting itself should solve the flop problem.

There isn't an absolute way to figure out if the two problems are related or not--at least not via computer pictures.

dobebug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts