Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if it is normal for fixed dogs to try to hump?

After a year of having Mindy, Max recently has been trying to mate her. He is neutered & she is spayed.

The odd thing also, Mindy tries to mount all dogs she comes in contact with except Max. She will smell them & immediatly her front paws go around their hips.

Also when she gets around female dogs, she actually lifts her leg to pee.

I am thinking she is being the alpha beotch, but it's odd to see.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
My big male Labrador, Toby, likes to play the Hump-Hound game at the Dog Park with the biggest male dogs he can find. And he was fixed at a very young age.

I do what I can to put a stop to it (I don't want any fights breaking out) but usually once he starts we just end up leaving.

Mavis, my last Doberman, lifted her leg to pee too. She would mark just like a male. Often at the Dog Park, she would stand in line with the male dogs waiting her turn to mark whatever they were peeing on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I view humping as a dominant behavior. I allow it between my dogs. (all altered) I tend to let them work things out amongst themselves if possible. If things start to escalate then I put a stop to it.

·
Super Moderator
15,530 Posts
I would try to correct them both. Even if they are trying to figure out who is dominant you should let them know that mounting is not an acceptable behavior. They will figure out their pecking order in other ways.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have a friend in England who's castrated male mate's with all her bitches when they are in season, unless there be mated to produce puppy's, she said it keep's the bitches quite and they are less agressive towards each other whilst in season.

Maureen

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
You are correct that mounting is a form of dominant behaviour. None of my dogs have done this in the past but we have experienced it out at the DP. I would try and correct them when they are doing this.

Picture this: there is a little dashaund at the park who feels that it is his job to hump all the dogs that cluster over in our area and that includes members of his own family. He even tried to hump my little girl. Scout is probably 15 lbs and my Jada is 78 lbs. When we stopped laughing we made him stop.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dont know if its the same but I have a female quarter horse who does this. We tried to have here bred at least 5 years ago. The vet told us she has male tendancies and whe would nt be able to be bred. We also did blood work on her and found out she a a small bening growth on her ovaries we are monitoring.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I think it is an establishing dominance issue......my parents schitzu-poo who is neutered mounts their neutered cat. No erection involved....... Fun times....LOL

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Def dominance behavior, see it all the time at the DP, with females as well. Java has never mounted another dog and doesn't life her leg, but once we arrive she makes all the rounds smelling every tree, etc, she will squat several times and leave her scent over what has been left previously.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With the male, he has just started doing this & he only does it to our female. With him, it is more like he figured the birds & bees out. When he is trying to be dominant with her, he puts his throat on the back of her neck & pushes down on her. He does this facing one of her sides, so they are in an "L" shape, so there is no mounting going on with it.

With the female, she has never tried to mount our male, but some friends brought over their male boxer & she tried to mount him, when we go on walks, alot of people have their dogs loose for whatever reason & they run up to us. A Sheepdog ran up & she tried to mount him. Then there is the female chocolate lab next door to my mom & dad & our female has tried to mount her.

Most of the time, she just pees by lifting her leg instead of squatting around other female dogs. For some reason, I don't think I want to get in there & correct that one :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts