Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few months have been a never ending string of medical issue with Quinn. His VWD kicked in big time. He was diagnosed with Addisons, had a major case of ringworm and a nasty skin infection. He has been having with his ears. Several areas on the pinnae died off. This caused major bleeding issues for awhile. The thing I hadn't noticed was that the tip of Quinns (natural) tail had also lost blood supply. I was horrified to come home and find that he had chewed a big chunk of it off. I know it needs to be repaired, I just worry about surgery. The docotr said we will treat with DDAVP before hand. This is where my question comes in. He said we will treat the day prior to surgery. I have read a few places that it only has effect for a few hours. How long does the VWD factor that is produced stay in the body? I had always assumed that the treatment was given the day of surgery.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I've always read that DDAVP provides *short term* clotting ability, maybe about 4 hours at the most(I think).
It also doesn't work with all dogs.

Here, this is about humans, but may be relevant:

DDAVP has been shown to be more potent than arginine vasopressin in increasing plasma levels of factor VIII activity in patients with hemophilia and von Willebrand's disease Type I.

Dose-response studies were performed in healthy persons, using doses of 0.1 to 0.4 mcg/kg body weight, infused over a 10-minute period. Maximal dose response occurred at 0.3 to 0.4 mcg/kg. The response to DDAVP of factor VIII activity and plasminogen activator is dose-related, with maximal plasma levels of 300 to 400 percent of initial concentrations obtained after infusion of 0.4 mcg/kg body weight. The increase is rapid and evident within 30 minutes, reaching a maximum at a point ranging from 90 minutes to two hours. The factor VIII related antigen and ristocetin cofactor activity were also increased to a smaller degree, but still are dose-dependent.

DDAVP Official FDA information, side effects and uses.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts