Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
We are in planning stage to get backyard fence installed. Most contractors seems to have 54" in their general stock and anything higher is a custom order. Is that a good height for dobes to deter any jumping over? Or should we request 5'? Many thanks!

·
Got mutt?
13,820 Posts
I know plenty of dogs that respect a 4 foot high fence. My late mutt was not one of them, and would go over my 6 foot high fence.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
If you do not ever let them get out, they do not know that they can. Every time they get out, it will get worse because, now, they know that they can. It is the same way with all animals and livestock. I find that "most" Dobermans will stay in a 4 foot fence. Personally, over the years we have had more trouble with dogs crawling under the fence that climbing or jumping over, nit that we have had much trouble. Of course, in general we have lived in the country where there was not much temptation to get out.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,284 Posts
We decided a fence was not a particularly good option for Hairy (he is not a dobe though) as soon as we got him as a two year old. The first thing he did was to start digging OUT of the 1/2 acre yard to get INTO a 10 X 20 foot enclosure. Go figure.

He just seems to be programmed to dig along any fence line he finds--but nowhere else in the yard.

I have found that, in general, if a dog learns as a puppy that jumping a fence doesn't work (because the fence is too high for him) that as an adult he'll respect even a fence that he could obviously jump over--depending on what the incentive is outside the yard, of course.

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
We had a 5 foot chain link fence put in several years ago , now this is just me thinking out loud here - But I don't think I want anything shorter than that - I look at it as keeping other critters out as well .

One thing I did right was we got the coated chain link and it does not rust like the non treated will over time - its like a rubber coating and to me it well worth the money - it still looks new . Good luck !

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,284 Posts
Whatever fence you decide on, especially if you are going with a shorter one that the dog might conceivably try to jump, make sure whatever style you pick doesn't have spikes or widely separated vertical slats that stick up above the top rail (like a picket fence or some chain link fences can have). If you dog tries to jump and misjudges, they can get hung up on that kind of fence--not good, obviously.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Also, be mindful of having anything that can be a foothold for the dog to help him vault over the fence, no matter how high. During my time with Boxer Rescue, I cannot count the number of calls we’d get from the local shelters who found a dog we’d adopted out who had escaped the standard Arizona/California cinder block walls. Things like a deck box, an a/c condenser unit, bags of rock piled up, patio furniture, etc. can give enough boost to get a dog up and over, if they are intent on it. Piggy backing on the point raised by @melbrod - collars can get caught on posts, spikes, fence latches to disastrous results which supports @MaryAndDobes point of not leaving the dog unattended.

·
Got mutt?
13,820 Posts
Just saw this and thought it apropos for this thread. Cool idea, I guess the intent is that the dogs roll right off?
View attachment 137993
Yes, the whole idea behind coyote rollers is that they can't get a grip on the top of the fence to pull themselves up and over because the rollers will always spin whenever pressure is put on them. I came very close to putting some up on my fence, but I lost Ilka before I got around to it.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
We have had 4 ' fences at two homes with no problems. One was a picket fence, and one was split rail with wire on the inside. I've never allowed my dogs to even jump up on the fence, and have never had one try to jump a fence. That said, we just replaced our 17 year old split rail last fall with a 5 foot black aluminum fence with narrow puppy spacing. Our neighbors on both sides have the standard height black aluminum fences - which truthfully is plenty tall. They don't have the narrow spacing, so I'm glad we do.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Excellent excellent inputs everyone, really appreciate it!

We certainly won't leave our dobe out in backyard without us around her. Fence will make it more enjoyable for her and us when we are on patio enjoying nice weather.

We have asked for quotes for both standard height (4.5ft) and 5ft high fence, I think price wise there won't be much difference but lead time for 5ft will be a few months out. We are going with the black aluminum one.
Again, thanks everyone for the feedbacks!

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
I seen pictures of Fitz's new fence = WOW ! very pretty = but they live in the high rent district - LOL
More like the far suburbs - haha. If we were 10 to 15 miles closer to Philadelphia with a comparable school district, the home prices would be at least $100,000 more. We are about 30 miles out from downtown - makes a difference.
It is a really nice fence!

Reactions: ECIN and melbrod

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Post a picture up Fitz - it is real nice and looks great !
The only thing I have is a video - can't take pictures today as we are having the roof replaced right now .... total madhouse today - ugh.

·
Registered
Jalyn Live in the Moment ‘Helo Agathon’ Harper x Godric DOB 3/4/2019
7,603 Posts
I have a 4ft vinyl picket type fence with a flat top and it works well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts