Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question I am hoping someone can help me with. During the summer of last year my family and I had purchased a doberman pup from a breeder whom we thought was reputable. Our buisness encounter with her went smoothly at first, but towards the end started going bad. She wanted us to take the pup early at six weeks instead of the original eight. We were told we would get to pick between three pups and then were denied the opportunity because we could not go to the breeders home when it was convenient for her. Once we got the pup we were left with she had many problems including terrible mouthing. We tried to work with her for many months on her issues we even sent the pup to a board and train facility. We never could get her problems under control and she had continuing problems including food aggression and toy possesiveness, this was mainly around our cats that we had. We eventually had to give this dog back to the breeder. My concern is the breeder herself and the fact that she seems to continue to breed these dogs on a regular basis. The breeder owns the male dog and studs him out to many different females. The owners of the females take care of the pups for the first six weeks and then she takes them and cares for them for the remaining two weeks until they are eight weeks of age. I am extremely worried that she is overbreeding these dogs. She started breeding in october of 2010 and between then and now she has had over 60 puppies. She had a litter in december and the female had 13 puppies and another litter a couple of weeks later in january which had 14 puppies. She also plans to breed another dog next month. She and I are not on good terms from many things that my family and I were not satisfied with on her business techniques. My question is, is there a way to report this? I feel like she is bringing in way too many puppies in to this world and feel that at this point she is only in it for the money. I don't believe it is wrong to breed, but having bred over 60 puppies in a little over a year I feel like is a bit much, especially for a breed like the doberman which some people still do not think highly of. Does anyone think that this much breeding is too much? And if so is there anyway I can report it and try to get it stopped or at least toned down? Thanks for your time!

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Sounds like the typical BYB (Backyard Breeder).

You don't mention where you are from, but you can check your local and state laws for specific language relating to animal husbandry.

Generally, though, if she is providing food and water and some sort of shelter, not much can be done, sorry.

It also sounds like your family was unprepared for all the work that a Doberman puppy can be--which would mean this breeder neither screened thoroughly enough nor provided you guys with the education and ongoing support you would have needed to succeed with your puppy.

I'm sorry things were such a mess, and I hope that girl pup ended up somewhere she was properly spayed, and is not now pumping out even more puppies herself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your input! We actually spayed the pup ourselves before she even left our home. We were aware that Dobermans were high energy when we got her, but she did neglect to tell us how much energy they required. Nevertheless we tried everything we could to get her under control. We spent countless hours working with her outside in the yard doing obedience classes, board and train. We spent so much money and time trying to get her straightened out. I feel personally like this breeder doesn't screen her females very well because the pup we got had food aggression issues pretty much from the time we brought her home and we thought we had worked through them, but then they popped back up and it really shocked us. I and my family are from Kentucky, but the breeder is from Ohio. I really wish there was something I could do to get her to stop breeding so much. Even though the doberman we had was a lot of work, I have a trememdous amount of respect for the breed and think that they are wonderful dogs! I just would not own one again anytime soon. All I want is for this breeder to be responsible and not do it for the money because I sincerely feel like with that amount of puppies that, that is the only reason she is doing it for. Thank you for your time though, I do appreciate your input!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
So, who is this breeder and what is her location? The way she is running the business, she doesnt have much money invested. I cant imagine her knowing the personalities well enough to properly place them in homes suitable for each.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For the person that wanted to know who the breeder who is her name is Savannah Lancaster. The name of her "buisness" is Pets with Potential, she has a page on facebook for it. I don't think she really screens the females at all. It seems as though every female doberman she has come in contact with she breeds with he stud. I just don't understand why in the world the owners of the female dogs keep letting her male breed with them? I mean she takes good care of them as far as making sure they have food, fresh water, a warm place to sleep, and she gives them two rounds of shots I believe. I just think its too many puppies, that and the fact that she raised her price $100 from when we bought our pup from her, which proves to me that she is in it for the money. I just hate that more dogs are being brought in to this world because of her.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Wow if you check out the FB look at the crop on the Fawn puppy a little ways down....

I am sorry you went through this :(

·
Registered
990 Posts
Morgan:

It sounds like this is a very typical backyard breeder. I see they have a white female expecting a litter, and a Hoytt female just added to their breeding program...among others. Obviously these dogs are nowhere near "show quality" as the breeder claims. There is so much more that is wrong with this breeder than only "overbreeding".

As far as the troubles you had with your puppy, I agree with RFR. Unfortunately many buyers don't do anywhere near enough research on the breed before they buy a puppy...and the backyard breeders know it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lelise you are very right with saying that some people do not do their homework on breeds. I can openly admit that we did research, but not enough on this breed, a price we paid for. It is a mistake that I have learned from. I also don't know if she has or has done testing on the parents. It is very sad. The white female is the dog that had puppies in december and had 14 total, but I believe one died and then she also had a litter in january that had 16 total, but only 14 survived. Last I knew she had between 8-10 puppies for sale still and planned on breeding another dog in march. It's just too much! I am fine with people breeding for love of a breed, but do it in moderation or as a hobby from time to time, don't make it your source of income! I wish that I had known this about her from the start, but sadly we did not ask enough questions and got stuck in an awful mess. I really believe the reason the pup we got had so many problems was because the mother pushed them away when they were four weeks old and wanted nothing more to do with them. I've seen on a closed facebook group that she has that another lady that bought the sister of the dog we had, has had many of the same problems with her dog as well. I really feel like she did not screen this mother dog properly.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I really believe the reason the pup we got had so many problems was because the mother pushed them away when they were four weeks old and wanted nothing more to do with them. I've seen on a closed facebook group that she has that another lady that bought the sister of the dog we had, has had many of the same problems with her dog as well. I really feel like she did not screen this mother dog properly.
Unfortunately the problems you described have more to do with genetics. Aggression can be taught but it is often hereditary especially when it comes to things like food aggression if your pup had it from the moment you got her.

Also unfortunately, there is not much you can do about this breeder other then help educate other puppy buyers about the importance of doing your research and picking a reputable breeder. People like her and puppy mills exists because there is no shortage of uneducated impulsive buyers who keep purchasing puppies from these people and therefore funding their little operations. It is very frustrating to see this happen. People take the purchase of a dog far too lightly and even when their individual puppy grows up just fine, all the other breeding dogs and puppies left behind continue to suffer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow I didn't realize that it was genetics. That makes me very afraid for the other people who have pups from that litter. Well, I hate that there isn't anything that I can do, but hopefully people will start to see her for what she really is and won't buy any puppies from her. I think the only way she is going to stop breeding is if she ends up with all these puppies that she can't get rid of. I hate it for the pups but I hope it happens soon. Thank you all so much for your opinions and advice, I really appreciate it so much!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Wow I didn't realize that it was genetics. That makes me very afraid for the other people who have pups from that litter. Well, I hate that there isn't anything that I can do, but hopefully people will start to see her for what she really is and won't buy any puppies from her. I think the only way she is going to stop breeding is if she ends up with all these puppies that she can't get rid of. I hate it for the pups but I hope it happens soon. Thank you all so much for your opinions and advice, I really appreciate it so much!
Don't hold your breath.. there are tons of breeders like her out there, some have been doing this for years if not decades. Many of them even have devoted supporters who continue to buy pups from them and defend them agains any allegations of being less then reputable. Nothing good happens to the left over puppies and they are usually quickly replaced with younger more sellable ones.

·
Registered
990 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you lelise, that was very helpful! The breeder never mentioned about any genetic testing, so I don't know if she does. I highly doubt it. She definitley has more litters than normal from the post I read.

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,343 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am not sure how to post in the place that you wanted me to. I would be moer than happy to post a thread about my experience with the BYB if you could please tell me how to do so. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 129 Posts