Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching entirely too much Cesar Milan LOL. Although I don't always agree with his techniques, I do agree with much of his philosphy - Mainly, exercise is an essential key to a happy, well adjusted dog. Since Chi's energy is boundless, I'm always open to new ways to wear her out. On a lark this morning, I asked one of the neighbor kids if I could borrow their skateboard today. (If Cesar can do it, I can too, right??? So what that I'm a 33 year old mom LOL) With an eye-roll and a "don't kill yourself", he said "yes" :)
It was slow going at first - You don't get very far when you're on a skate board and your dog is jumping up and down beside you :) But after maybe 5 minutes of encouraging clicks and treats with every step forward, we were able to run up and down the sidewalk several times. She stayed on the grassy part and I (pretty much) stayed on the side walk :) 20 minutes after I walked and she bounced out of the door, we are back, she is calmly laying at my feet and I have a dog that will nap today so I can catch up sleep missed while I crammed for my finals all night last night :) WooHoo!
I had the leash attached to her harness and that's where the pressure was but I also had the other end looped around her neck in case I had to steer her :) But as it turned out, she stayed going straight very well. I might have to purchase a skijoring harness for this new hobby :)

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
If your dogs respond well, try rollerblading. That is really fun too

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
speaking of ceaser milan...I heard he got sued???? something about a dog at his facility being forced to run on the treadmill...and got overworked...and something about the collar..????has anyone heard about this? There was an article posted on the petfinder message boards....

lol I use to be able to ride my bike while holding the leash with my hand with my dalmatian. :)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just looked it up and yes, he's facing 2 lawsuits. One of them from a former publicist (I think) for non-animal related things. However, the other was filed by the producer od "8 Simple Rules". Evidentally, he took his lab to the dog psychology center and was called hours later and told his dog had been rushed to the vet. At the vet, he found his dog had been bleeding from the nose and mouth and had severe bruising to his thighs. He alleges that employs of the center choked his dog and forced him to overwork on the treadmil. National Geographic has issued a statement saying that Cesar was not there and has never even met this dog - he's a tireless advocate for the humane treatment of animals, etc...
Tireless advocate or not, the dog psychology center bares his name and therefore (imo) he is responsible for all dogs there.
It will be interesting to see how this case unfolds...

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I would have to buy a sled and put wheels on it, i could not ride a skateboard when they came out and at 47 i am not about try and learn.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dobesanddragons said:
If your dogs respond well, try rollerblading. That is really fun too
I think I might go get a pair this weekend. I've never rollerbladed before but I'm pretty good on the ice and with good old fashion roller skates. I think I'll have a little more control on the blades rather than the board too.
Of course if you don't hear from me after this weekend for some period of time it's because I'm either lying in a ditch somewhere or in a body cast in the ICU LOL

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
You are one brave lady!!!! Glad Chi went with it so easily! I bike with Lexus, and she loves that, great energy burner. We don't go above her trot though, just to be safe. And we go at night when there aren't cars or people out in our development to distract us ;)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
How come I am just seeing this now? Tracy I wouldn't even dare to get on a skate board. And I am 24. Give me some roller blades and I would be happy. I am thinking about getting a decent pair for myself and taking Gracie out. I will have to pratice a little first. :)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hey brum, us 47 year olds don't need skating boards, we need little red wagons, I think we could handle that

I am actually ok on roller skates but I feel like I have no control on roller blades, they scare the heck out of me. Of course the younger generation get on them as if they were born in them.

Well Tracy, if we don't hear from you we will anxiously await pics of cast and crew!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Whats with us.... i just told hubby that i wanted to get a pair of roller blades. i havent bladed since i was a teen.. and down here walking is pretty broring cause there isnt anything to look at.. so i said hubby i need a pair of blades.. and then i can take the dogs out and it will be more fun for me LOL.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Does it really constitute as Rollerblading if the dog just decides that hmmmm "mom has no tracking to stop me from pulling on the leash..." and you begin to just stand there while the dogs rolling you around the block lol :) I have a feeling that is what duch would do...even though she might be a little concerned about what exactly is on my feet and feel the need to stay at my side with concern.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh please, just do one thing for yourself, make a concious effort not to try stopping in roller blades the same way you do in ice skates, a friend snapped his ankle his first time out, thought it was so easy, till he had to stop.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
you all are crazy.. and I thought I was nuts wanting to hitch the dogs to the side of my bike built for two.. You all are too Young.. Now back in the old days....I built my own skate board.. but that was a LLLLOOOOGGGG time ago.. do not forget the elbow and knee pads also along with the helmet..
my sis took up rollblading and the first time she went out she fell and broke her right arm in two places and destroyed her left elbow and now has 1 metal plate and 4 screws in her arms..

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
frznbuns said:
my sis took up rollblading and the first time she went out she fell and broke her right arm in two places and destroyed her left elbow and now has 1 metal plate and 4 screws in her arms..
Your poor sis! Not a very encouraging story!
My friend was over last night and made me promise to practice in the house before I attempted outside and then outside, sans Chi, before I added to the mix, also made me promise to invest in body armor. Her theory is that if I can't even throw a shoe across the room without breaking a bone, I shouldn't have wheels attached to any part of my body without complete protection :)

Y'all are nuts if you think I'm going to video tape anything before I'm REALLY good at it though :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.