Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all ~ I am looking to add a new doberman to my family and was wondering if anyone had a suggestions on some quality breeders in my area. I live in Maine, but am willing to travel a reasonable distance. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions that can help jump start my research. Thank you

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I don't live in America so can't help you with breeder recommendations, but there is a DPCA list of recommended breeders, and this forum has a list also. Regardless of who is recommended to you, remember to do your own research as a recommendation is just that, it doesn't prove anything. If you are looking for a healthy, well adjusted pet with a great temperament, make sure you buy from a breeder who is doing all of the health testing needed in this breed (for cardio health, liver & thyroid, eyes, hips and elbows!) and has titled their dog in a competitive venue (which is like health testing, but for temperament and structure!).

I wish you well with your search! See you around the forum :)

Reactions: SReed912

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
You should come to the DPCA Nationals or check out the IPO thats happening tomorrow in Fitchburg, MA. You can get a good idea of what you want to do with your dobe and this will be a good opportunity to meet people.

I have a pup from Cara Dobe in NY- love my pup and breeder. Best of luck in your search!

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
As your current dog is only 6 months old, you might research a bit on bringing another puppy in right now. Most reputable breeders will actually not sell you a puppy until your current one is at least 12 months old.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I realize this. I was planning on waiting until next summer. I would never bring a puppy home during a Maine winter.....house training would prove to be very difficult! However, it is never too early to begin researching breeders in the area. I'm sure the more time I spend researching will result in a better match for my family. I appreciate your concerns.

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
You might check with Rebholzer, I don't know if Traci is planning another litter next year, but she is in Vermont....

Reactions: SReed912

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Penny Cary is in Saco, her kennel name is Sasanoa. Sharon Karam is in MA, her kennel name is Kettle Cove. I'm pretty sure you can find contact info for both through DPCA breeder referral.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
As your current dog is only 6 months old, you might research a bit on bringing another puppy in right now. Most reputable breeders will actually not sell you a puppy until your current one is at least 12 months old.
If a person has the time, resources, love to give and experience, what problem is there in getting a second puppy? I don't see any problems with this and never have.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I realize this. I was planning on waiting until next summer. I would never bring a puppy home during a Maine winter.....house training would prove to be very difficult! However, it is never too early to begin researching breeders in the area. I'm sure the more time I spend researching will result in a better match for my family. I appreciate your concerns.
You certainly are under no obligation to answer this, but--do you plan on neutering your six month male at some point?

Since you purchased him from a less-than-stellar breeder, did you receive full registration, or limited?

Are you aware of the potential for same-sex aggression in this breed? Just wondering if you plan on adding a female or male Doberman, as you search.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RedFawn, I can't help but notice the hostile undertones in most of your posts. Is there a reason for this? Have you had a bad experience you would be willing to share with me? I have done a significant amount of research on the doberman breed and feel competent in answering any questions that may come my way. To answer your question, I do not plan on neutering Jaxon. I also have a 16 yr old male miniature daschund (Nugget), a 7 yr. old male black lab(Rastus), and a 2 yr. old female black lab(Lupin), none of whom, except for the female, have been neutered. I do plan on getting another male doberman. All my dogs are raised in a loving and caring environment, and are well socialized and trained. I firmly believe that genetics only goes so far. It is the quality of the dogs life that will ultimately determine its demeanor.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Looks like we have another Stig on our hands.
Just wondering if you know how much a well-bred Dobermann costs & how a reputable breeder will question you and may not sell you a male puppy since you have so many intact dogs. Your dog is young. He has not matured. Problems may arise.
ANYWAYS - good luck on your search!
:wavey:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nugget is 16, and unfortunately does not have many yrs. left in him.....:wheelchair:. That would leave me with two intact dogs. Is that too many?....... I believe all Dobies have the potential to be "quality" dogs and have seen them sold anywhere from $1200-$3000. Well worth the money!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
RedFawn, I can't help but notice the hostile undertones in most of your posts. Is there a reason for this? Have you had a bad experience you would be willing to share with me? I have done a significant amount of research on the doberman breed and feel competent in answering any questions that may come my way. To answer your question, I do not plan on neutering Jaxon. I also have a 16 yr old male miniature daschund (Nugget), a 7 yr. old male black lab(Rastus), and a 2 yr. old female black lab(Lupin), none of whom, except for the female, have been neutered. I do plan on getting another male doberman. All my dogs are raised in a loving and caring environment, and are well socialized and trained. I firmly believe that genetics only goes so far. It is the quality of the dogs life that will ultimately determine its demeanor.
Well, I have no problem with someone having two puppies in the right situation, but given your situation, I think you are asking for trouble.

·
Registered
615 Posts
In your research, was same sex aggression noted as something to be aware of? That is not something that can be trained out. I think the concern lies with the addition of another male puppy into your household where other intact males reside.

Good luck with your search!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
In your research, was same sex aggression noted as something to be aware of? That is not something that can be trained out. I think the concern lies with the addition of another male puppy into your household where other intact males reside.
Having an intact bitch in the household just really increases the odds of the males fighting, too.

ETA: never mind, I see the bitch there is spayed.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Nugget is 16, and unfortunately does not have many yrs. left in him.....:wheelchair:. That would leave me with two intact dogs. Is that too many?....... I believe all Dobies have the potential to be "quality" dogs and have seen them sold anywhere from $1200-$3000. Well worth the money!
Unless you have years of experience with dobies and/or the breeder knows you very well having just one male, neutered or not, is enough to not sell you a male puppy. That's how big of a deal male/male aggression is in dobies.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
I don't think you will find a good breeder willing to sell you another male. As your pup matures, you may have trouble on your hands with him and the other male. I would put off adding any pup (male or female) until your boy has fully matured.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My mentor at the firm I am interning at has two intact male dobies, ages 3 and 5, and has had no issues whatsoever.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts