Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking at them the other day in a store, and the lady at the store was like "those are such a waste of money, blah blah blah"... I told her that perhaps her fluffy little white thing will not enjoy them as much as my strapping intelligent doberman lol...

but then I thought I would ask, saying my strapping intelligent doberman is still learning how to walk lol...

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
We dont have any puzzle toys as such, does the kong wobbler count?

Rupert loves his wobbler, I put kibble and pieces of cheese into it and it keeps him entertained for a while :)

·
Go Dog Go
606 Posts
Half of Chanel's kibble goes in the bowl, the other half goes in her kong. She hoovers up the bowl & then goes searching for the rest. (Family is amazed, she holds it with her paw, picks it up & shakes it, rolls it & listens to see if there is any left.)

Note - I'd originally bought the extra large black kong, but it was too big & tough for her. She prefers the large red one.
Kate

·
Riley's Mom
527 Posts
I just use a KONG w/peanut butter, and an old rubber ball that has a hole which the original bell came out of - I stuff some kibble in there now and it works great, only releasing one piece at a time when he nudges and rolls the ball around. I'm not really sure what other kinds of puzzle toys there are out there yet. His favorite "toy" is his old elizabethan collar that doesn't fit anymore... he can spend a half hour carrying it around in his mouth and shaking it. I love how the best "toys" are unintended. I use it as his special ultimate toy now, lol, he only gets it when he's really good.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
We dont have any puzzle toys as such, does the kong wobbler count?

Rupert loves his wobbler, I put kibble and pieces of cheese into it and it keeps him entertained for a while :)
I count those as puzzle toys :)

I have the wobbler, and mushroom looking one and an egg looking one

·
Registered
477 Posts
The kong wobbler and large black extreme kongs have been a life saver for me as we help Bentley through his separation anxiety. Whenever we leave he gets a cup of kibble in his kong wobbler and one kong that's been stuffed and frozen with layers of kibble,canned dog food a few treats and topped with a blob of peanut butter or pumpkin. This is his dinner meal, as most times I work evenings over the dinner hour.
I also take his destuffed plushies and hide a treat inside them.

He now happily wags his tail when I bring out his black kong and wobbler.

These aren't difficult puzzle toys, but they most certainly keep him busy while we're gone. He always greets me at the door when I arrive home with his black kong in his mouth and nubbin wiggling.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Yes they work and are very worth the money if you have a motivated dog :)

My Dobe and GSD love them, my husky will fiddle with them for a second and then look at me like "Oh wait, I must have bumped my head, I am supposed to get everything handed to me on a silver platter,"

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts
Yes - Shanoa loves her puzzle toys!

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol oh goodness... I was hoping for a YES they are great, or NO there are better things... and I got both lol. I guess I will see how Mariano does with the basic kongs and hiding treat toys, and if he seems bored... we will move on.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I have a puzzle toy. First of all it depends on what kind of treat is in it whether Kiss is interested or not. Second, if she wants the treat it doesn't take her long to get them out.
I guess you have to keep filling them up depending on how long you want the game to go on.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
A decade ago, we bought the black bone Kong.
Think I used it once with a treat, that didn't didn't fit right without me fighting with it (LOL) and maybe once with peanut butter.

The treat Kong would end up on the leather love seat, and I could just see myself, sitting down on a smidge of peanut butter or getting a piece of kibble stuck to my butt...he-he.
- so the Kong went back to a regular bone chew toy (with nothing added)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts